1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius high pitch sound

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by craver5, May 10, 2012.

1. craver5

craver5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One year ago I purchased my new 2011 Prius. At that time it was silent. Vaca at the beach in July, still silent to the point that people didnt know I was behind them in parking lots. Fast forward to sometime during the winter, I noticed a whistling sound while I was driving around the building in a drive thru getting coffee. Then I noticed it more and more (of course!), and now its driving me crazy. Last oil change, the Toyota guy said its normal. I told him it was a new noise, not there when I bought the car or never would have. Then today, time for another oil change. Hubby took it in and they said the same thing. The service guy gave us a email copy of info regarding the Vehicle Proximity Notification System. I thought this was new on 2012 vehicles, not 2011 and...does it just kick in after months of driving...all of a sudden? I dont believe it. What to do? Any advice?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The inverter on the Prius produces a high pitched electrical whine. Some people can hear it better than others - usually those with younger ears.

Shift to N and see if the whine goes away. If it does, then it's normal inverter whine.

Tom