1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius hit on left front, looking for good repair place

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gheller, Jun 1, 2019.

1. gheller

gheller New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello!

Our 2008 Prius was recently hit on the street. It needs a new left front fender, headlight, and coolant heat storage tank, but it still runs and drives fine (obviously we can't run it long without coolant). Turns out we had the wrong kind of insurance so we're having to decide whether we can afford to get if fixed out-of pocket or need to sell it off. I'd be okay with doing the fender and headlight myself, but I'm told the coolant heat storage tank is a problem for do-it-yourselfers, and whatever mechanic we take it to is going to have to be okay with the job I did before they replace the tank. So far everyone is quoting us thousands. We're looking for a shop that isn't expecting an insurance company to pay their astronomical prices, ideally one that has a couple Prius parts cars sitting around they can pull used parts off of and that doesn't mind doing a little body work as well as mechanical. A place like "Auto Be Yours" but that isn't 5 states away. We don't need it to be perfect, just no longer leaking coolant and an eyesore we're afraid the city will tow away. Anyone know of a place or independent Prius repairperson in Minneapolis?

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Try contacting member @strawbrad or at his website. He might know of a competent Prius mechanic who has reasonable rates.

SFO likes this.
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes for those that don't read the service manual. It TAKES TIME, so you need to be patient. Shops just want to get to the next job and not take their time.

CHRS (Coolant Heat Recovery Storage) tank is part of the engine cooling loop.
    Read post #16 and take notes. Inverter coolant and engine coolant flowing through the same radiator? | PriusChat

Skibob likes this.