1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius hits motorcyclists on Freeway

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Per request, relocated.

Bob Wilson

2. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The driver of the vehicle the debris fell off of should be charged with manslaughter.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    More details:
    Motorcyclist dies, wife injured after striking barbecue - SignOnSanDiego.com

Bob Wilson

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just think that if the Prius had a bell the motorcycle rider would have heard it and jumped out of the way.

I agree with vegasjetskier.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is just a tragedy.

But I would ask why does it even warrant a post in Prius Chat? Motorcycle accidents, Car accidents happen everyday.

Reading the article clip...it goes from "a car fatally struck the man" to "A Toyota Prius fatally struck Jensen"...which is sad, unfortunate and tragic...but why does the article go to the trouble of defining it as a Toyota Prius?

This is just another case of a horrible accident...that should be investigated..but the mere fact that a Prius is involved shouldn't warrant that recognition either in a printed article nor in my opinion here in Prius Chat.

Unless there is some evidence that the unfortunate events unfolded as a result of the vehicle being a Prius...I see this as tragic..but a Prius Chat non-story.

4 people like this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The accident avoidance system would have picked up the BBQ grill and applied the brakes well before the driver might have figured out something bad was about to happen. Along with the energy absorbing quarter panel, bumper and hood, it might have converted this fatality into a survivable injury.

Now if we could just get the accident avoidance system as an option on any Prius ... even as a retrofit.

I'm also looking at MobilEye. They have a C2-170, video solution that looks promising. I've contacted their USA distributor and hopefully will have more technical details soon.

http://www.rostra.com/ - USA distributor

Bob Wilson

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Obviously this is another example of silent deadly hybrids.

Tom

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    JC Whitney carries the "C2-270" described as, "MOBILEYE Mobileye Forward Collision / Lane Departure Warning System with Pedestrian and Cyclist Detection" for $919.99 (SKU number 1JA 870695.) It won't be shipping until July 27, 2010, six weeks from now. Also, it "Includes and requires installation by manufacturer." ... HUH?

Regardless, it looks to be a reasonable answer for after-market, collision avoidance. The price is a little steep but it may be better than the alternative.

I'll probably order one soon as we work out the billing information and technical information.

FYI, based on past records, the Prius-pedestrian fatality rate should be between 5-7 this year. By my count, we are at two before this one or three depending upon how the FARS data record is encoded.

Bob Wilson

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why didn't you get the V with Advanced Technology package if you're into collision avoidance?

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The price, $10,000 higher, of which most was stuff I didn't want. I'll pay $1,000 for a safety system but I won't pay $9,000 for 'eye candy.'

BTW, I'll put it on my 2003 Prius, first. That was not even an option seven years ago.

The point is safety is a different and it is in the manufacturer's best interest to make safety options available in all configurations. Heck, I'd like to see external to the cabin, co-located with the respective lights, 'clickers' on the turn signals and backup lights. But I'd rather see it universal for all vehicles. NOTE, this is different from an 'always on' noise generator because the operator is in control.

Bob Wilson

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's the manufacturer's best interest to make profits so they're certainly not going to install high end safety systems across the board, but they eventually become standard over time as in the case of airbags and ABS.

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do like how you omitted the words ' make available' to make your point, it is nice to see a fallacy of this magnitude done with a straight face.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I want the option to buy accident avoidance without leather seats, super sound system, funny wheels, etc. Accident avoidance can reduce my operational costs, lower insurance rates. A leather seat has no effect on insurance rates except in the wrong direction.

Bob Wilson

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since the motorcycle struck the debris it seems to me that he couldn't stop on the pavement he could see. Maybe that radar should be installed on the bike. Many people do stupid things--sometimes in a car--sometimes on a motorcycle.

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The existing Pre-Collision System has no effect on insurance rates either, presumably because if you're going to crash, you're going to crash, however lessen the impact.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why mention the car model and make? editorial bias?

17. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. you're always risking your life when riding a motorcycle... cars have cages for good reasons.

it's a tragic accident... but it's just that.. another accident.

the person who failed to secure his load should be cited for failure to secure his load. the prius driver should be able to walk away from the whole mess... but i feel it won't turn out anything like that.

18. mikee1159

mikee1159 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 came with an avoidance system-it is called KEYOTR. It stands for Keep Your Eyes On The Road. Came on very car I ever had.

1 person likes this.
  19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is a tragedy for those on the motorcycle - amazing how it morphed from the fault of whoever failed to secure the load, to the fault of the first unfortunate car driver to come along.

Probably wouldn't have been as newsworthy if a Ford Focus driver had hit them

There was a case around 8 years back of a rural school bus here that was following other vehicles in traffic. A big rig ahead ran over some construction debris, which included pieces of rebar

The rebar got picked up by the drives, hurtled through the school bus front passenger window, and through the head of a young female passenger sitting up front. Yes, she was Pronounced at the scene

So, what lesson was learned there? Ban semi trucks from the road? Require Level IV Ballistic Glass on the windshield of school buses? Those were some of the crazier proposals

How about this - properly secure your load

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Failure to secure a load is not an accident, it is negligence. And in my state, it is already a crime, making the driver of that lost load responsible for the death.

2 people like this.