1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Hood Protector

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by KayakerNC, Jun 24, 2008.

1. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ToyotaPartsStore seems to have the Hood Protector (P/N 71621-99199) back in stock again, 6-23-2008.
    Toyota Parts and Accessories Store

Still nothing in the PriusChat Store for this item, sadly. :car:

2. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It says 2004. Will it fit the 2008?

How do you decide if you want that, or a mask? Seems like the mask protects more of the ca; but looks awful, IMO.

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes it fits. I have one on my 08. The bra's tend to mess up your paint if left on for more than a short time.

4. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you mean the mask type, not the clear bra stuff, huh?

OK so . . . if you use the hood deflector, what to you do to protect the bumper across the front?

I don't have mine yet. I look at them all in mall parking lots and there are tons of bugs and dings across that as well.

5. FrankZ

FrankZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just took my first road trip in my 2 week old Prius. I went down to S. Florida and as you can imagine, a gazillion bugs met their fate across the front of my car. What a mess. I washed it yesterday, but in doing so, I also noticed a nick in the bumper from a rock, I guess. Not very big, but it's the FIRST so it looks huge to me. Anyway, I was thinking of getting a bra to put on for trips like this, but I can't find any info on here. Where to get one, what brand is best, etc? Any help would be appreciated. I did a search for "bra" on here the other day and to my surprise, nothing came up!

6. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll hopefully have some more information later today or tomorrow about when we'll be adding these to the PC Shop. I continue to get requests for them...

FrankZ, watch out with the bras. To my knowledge, there is still not a company out there who has modified their bra design to properly fit the 2006-2008 Prius. There was a minor fascia redesign in 2006 and so the 2004-2005 bra design no longer worked. That's why we don't carry any in the PC Shop.

8. Raider

Raider New Member

First picture is LeBra part number 551094-01 (2004-05)
    Upper and lower gill screens are pulled downward when installed on 2007. Plastic strips are used to secure bra sides around headlamps.

Second and third pictures are LeBra part number 551121-01 (2007-08)
    This version has screen alignment corrected for 2007. Leather strips are used to secure bra sides around headlamps. (I recommend using 10mm socket to remove upper headlamp bolt to ease installation.)

Both versions use all plastic clips to secure the bra (last picture). These are all weather and do not need to be removed to wash car or rain. Screens good for keeping dead bugs out. I install clear plastic in the grill openings, under the bra, when air temperature drops. It fits well, does not change appearance, does not move around or drop out like foam pipe insulation.

Fourth picture is Toyota dealer sold bra sitting on top of 551094-01. Toyota bra uses metal hooks on non-elastic strips, to fasten the bra to the grill openings. A snap button is installed inside the wheel arch to attach the sides of the bra. Fabric backing requires removal to wash car or rain. The Toyota bra was deemed too difficult for older drivers or small hands to install so I bought a pair of 551121-01.

Front has been covered since 1st month so there are no nicks, scratches or dead bugs.

Attached Files:

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The hood deflector is different than a bra.

10. PriusinSeattle

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I installed a plastic "bug shield" on my '08 after getting a rock dent on the hood - the shield completely covers the dent which was actually my main intention. The shield is well designed and looks great, but requires patience to install. Also, it is a challenge to wash under it as it fits very close. I use a 6" X 6" X 1/8" spounge, purchased from Safeway, to clean beneath it, and that's worked okay. For waxing it'll have to be removed. I've had vinyl bras on two other cars I've owned and never really liked them much - too damaging to the paint. I recommend the plastic bug shield. I purchased mine from a Toyota dealer. Don't forget to ask for 10% off - I paid about $100 less 10%!

11. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Soooooo easy.

Attached Files:

12. mdeguzman0916

mdeguzman0916 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius. I have a bit of a problem with the bugs and rocks and so on. I dont know if i should buy a car bra or a hood deflector for it. I've heard some bad things about putting on a car bra. I heard that if it on your car for a certain amount of time, the paint will be ruined and i dont want that to happen but i dont want knicks on my front bumper. I also dont want bugs on my windshield or the front bumper. Im kind of confused on which is good for my car. Any suggestions would be great. pls. help.

13. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also suggest you go the route that Kayaker did. I bought the same unit for $79 (do a search) and it was very easy to install (NO DRILLING). It works great because now I don't get any more chips on the hood and it even prevents debris from hitting the windshield (most not all). It also makes your car more recognizable in a parking lot where there are many Prii.

14. mdeguzman0916

mdeguzman0916 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so which should i get? should i just get both? I have looked for a bug deflector for a prius and itll cot me at least $30 which isnt bad. I also saw this 3m scotchguard for the car which is very pricey but it seems to be worth it but im not sure. i want to get a bra but i dont want my paint to fade.

15. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    KayakerNC, How do you like that hood protector? I am thinking about getting one for my 2006 red baron. Is it easy to take off and clean and wax under?
    Thanks

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The "Salvador Dali moustache", as I call it, is fairly easy to remove for washing and waxing. The little rubber bumpers stay on the car, but the deflector comes off with a few bolts. The metal brackets could use some paint, I've noticed.

17. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

No word from Danny yet on the bug defector! So for $71 is this about the best bug deflector you can get for the Prius 2009? And anyone notice any MPG difference?

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most insects are very beneficial. We shouldn't convince ALL of them to move to Russia. :nono:

19. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would like to see the hood protector in a clear color.