1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius/hybrid repair costs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by briloop, May 13, 2007.

1. briloop

briloop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I would like to buy a Prius, preferably a 2008 model.

When I told a co-worker of mine about this, he recommended buying a non-hybrid. He said that hybrid technology is something that only a dealer can work on because only a dealer has technicians trained to work on hybrids. The dealer is usually the most expensive place to have a car repaired. Therefore, repairs to a hybrid are going to be costly.

I told him my car-owning philosophy is to own hold onto to a car for at least 10 years, then buy a new one when the car becomes too costly to operate. If the hybrid drive, which is warranted for 8 years, breaks down, let's say at year 9, I would be stuck with a very expensive repair bill, or a car with negligable value.

My co-worker recommended buying a non-hybrid Civic or Camry, based on their histories of having long lives, and relatively low number of repairs. Also, you can find shops and/or mechanics who are less costly than the dealer for repairs for non-hybrids.

Does anybody have an different view on this and/or experience from what my co-worker recommends?

Also, has anyone had the experience of a repair shop refusing to work on your Prius simply because it is a hybrid? For example, did you need a non-hybrid related repair (like power steering or a thermostat) and the repair shop didn't want to work on your car simply because it is a hybrid?

2. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You are going to continually hear scare stories about hybrids from people who don't own them. I've had mine for ten months and it has never cost me a dime except for oil changes. There are people here who have over 200,000 miles on thiers with no major repairs. Taxi companies are putting millions of miles on them with no problems. The only problems I have encountered with my prius is that I forget to check the gas gauge. I have to fill up so seldom that I literally forget to check it sometimes. I often have people walk up to me in a gas station and start asking me questions about the hybrid. When I first got the prius, I made a trip to my daughters house about three hours away. We stopped at the regular gas stop on this trip but it was only for bathroom and snack breaks, no gas. In the end, only you can decide if it is for you or not but don't take advice from people who don't own them.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd be set if you lived in Cali. They come with a 10yr warranty here. :)

Ultimately there is a HUGE difference between a Civic and Prius. I would not have been happy with the Civic. Some people love it. You really should go spend some time in both. That will help you make the choice.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealers service the Prius. That's different from collision repair. Most of the Prius parts are normal. As long as no one touches the bright orange wire, everyone lives.

You'll have less maintenance because items like the brake pads will last longer, there's no alternator to replace or power steering fluid. The coolant is good til 100,000 miles (Although some recommend changing it before that.. not sure why).

The Prius uses aluminium and ultra-high tensile steel so it may be costly to repair.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you're really worried about what is basically a non-issue, you can always get the extended warranty at a discount through Priuschat.

There are several members here who are in the 100,000+ mile club, and nobody has had to pay a four-figure repair yet (as far as I know).

6. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(briloop @ May 13 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]441017[/snapback]</div>
    The hybrid components should be serviced by a trained professional. There are a few out there, and I am pretty sure there will be quite a number in 8 or 9 years as the car becomes even more popular. Also, it depends on the mechanic as well, some like to price guage like no other. For example, I had a mazda protege break down at ~140k miles. The transmission blew. One place quoted 2500-3500 to replace the entire transmission. Another place replaced the seliloid for ~$900. I think thats quite a difference for a car thats worth maybe only $3.5-4k.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you keep a car 10 years, and you're worried about new technology that might be costly toward the end of that 10 years, then I think you've already made your decision. The truth is, no one knows what a Prius will be like 10 years from now. If you will always worry about it, buy one of the other small cars (if that's what you're looking for). I particularly like the Toyota Matrix, and we have always liked Camry's.

The Prius does seem to inherit the quality that Toyota is known for, and I'm very happy with mine. We also "buy and hold" our cars, and in most cases have them serviced by the dealer. When we have something we know an idiot can do, like brakes, we'll take it to an independent garage. A specialty shop like a transmission shop may be OK, but I stay away from radiator shops, gas stations, etc. My impression of them is that the second-tier mechanics work there, at $14 - $20 an hour instead of the $40 to $50 they would earn at the dealer. While not always true in every case (especially if you know the people personally), usually the higher paid technician is the better one.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Toyota dealers actually aren't that expensive anyways, they package all the major services together at reasonable prices. Mine charges $20 for an oil change, not gonna beat that many other places. I think the absolute most expensive service stop we've had for our Prius was under $200. The lack of having to replace brake pads and starters etc is a good point.

You know, in all reality these cars are all so reliable, in 9 or 10 years you shouldn't have a ton of repairs to deal with anyways. If you stay current on the maintenance these cars will last a LONG time.

9. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(briloop @ May 13 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]441017[/snapback]</div>
    I was also debating on whether to wait for the newest generation Prius, rumored to be on the streets in about 15-18 months. I bought the current one because I thought that the difference between 55 and 75mpg isn't that huge and that the newest version might have some early quirks. Also my 94 Camry's maintenance demands were mounting,

I was also concerned about Prius-only techs servicing the car. The car needs very little maintenance though, oil changes are sparse and people here report few issues with it. You can always buy an extra 3 year / 36000 mile warranty for $990 here, my dealer offered it to me for $1045.

I'm pretty happy for the first 800 miles.

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 13 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]441119[/snapback]</div>
    Check the offer in Prius Accessories. It's a 7 year/100,000 mile/$0 deductible warranty for $990.

Just want to get the facts straight.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 13 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]441117[/snapback]</div>
    :blink:

we wish, but not quite!

you do have a good point about dealer techs tending to be the better ones. dealer jobs are tougher to hold on to, to top it off. but there are exceptions to this rule all over the place, like any other generalization.

12. jyl

jyl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For what it is worth, my father's gen 1 Prius with >100K miles has never needed anything but routine maintenance.

The only sign of its age is that his gas mileage has dropped from >50 to about 45. He attributes this to the battery aging, but the nature of his driving has also changed, from 40 mile freeway commutes to short around-town errands (retirement does that), and I suspect that has a lot to do with it.

I wouldn't worry about what your friend is saying. Get the extended warranty, and by the time your Prius is out of warranty, hybrid cars will be commonplace and independent shops will service them.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Owner surveys (Consumer Reports, etc.) show Prius to be much more reliable than average, and tops in owner satisfaction.

Don't bother with an extended warranty. Take the price of one, buy a 12 month certificate of deposit instead, and make a profit on the deal.

14. jplflyer

jplflyer New Member

If you intend to keep the car that long, and if your driving habits are such that the Prius will show you savings at the pump, then I think you can buy with confidence.

All indications are that this car should cost no more in servicing than any other reliable car and a lot better than most.