1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Hype

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by okiebutnotfrommuskogee, May 8, 2007.

1. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Ok, let's all debunk this one together! I'll start.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Riverside Chevrolet")</div>
    I've used the air conditioner and had no major impact on fuel mileage.

Though I have not the links in hand, I know for a fact that the Toyota Corporation has an extensive battery recycling program in operation today.

This might be true, but they have to drag us into this?!?

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Send them an email and tell them we are saving money since our cars will still be in one peice at 100k miles...unlike a Chevrolet lol

4. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I AM saving $100's of dollars a month! No lie! Also, the Mailu is not a comparable vehicle.. Does it have the smart key system and all the other tech stuff? Bring it on Chevy folk, bring- it- on!

5. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Also, something else to consider:
    5 year old Malibu: worth $5500.00
    5 year old Prius: Varies, but hovers around $12,500.00

I wrote them a nice little letter:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("ozyran")</div>
    I'll post their response, if they roger one up :D

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Will a Chevy last 10 years? Probably not.

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ May 8 2007, 01:00 AM) [snapback]437338[/snapback]</div>
    You're not holding your breath, are you?

The Chevrolet vs. Toyota argument aside, negative sales pitches turn me off. It's unprofessional for starters, and it makes me wonder what's wrong with your product if you have to bash the competition. Tell me about its features and benefits, not those lacking in the competitor's.

8. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ May 7 2007, 10:30 PM) [snapback]437326[/snapback]</div>
    I did just that, I emailed them and told them to drive the prius before making these remarks.

9. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

How come hybrids are the only cars that are expected to "get your money back?" Man that argument is getting old.

As if gas mileage and cost are the only two things that people should consider when buying a car. *rolls eyes*

10. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think most people are too used to marketing lies to take this in. (If the price of fuel goes down. Thats a laugh!)

I personally would only buy a car based on word of mouth build quality. Today that limits me to German or Japanese cars. Compared to my last car I save £160 a year road tax and £19 every time I fill it up. Thats good enough for me.

11. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What about @ 3.50 a gallon, and 30,000 miles a year?

That must be why you see so many MORE Malibus than Prius on the LA freeways - NOT!

12. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(okiebutnotfrommuskogee @ May 7 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]437318[/snapback]</div>
    That is really cool...

I for one really hope it works. Chevy needs some sales soon to keep a float. Prius is the first import I've owned (although I bought my wife an Odyssey). I couldn't put my money into Chevy since I did once, and promised never to do it again.

It's total BS, but then again most info coming from a car dealer is BS anyway. If the buyer falls for it and gets a Chevy, then at least they will feel good about it.

Couldn't be happier with the Prius, if it holds up, I'll never buy anything but Toyota till I get burned. Then it's either Honda, or if I'm in a patriotic mood, Ford. But since it doesn't look like Toyota is going to drop the ball, Detroit will just have to cross me off their list.

Rebuttal:
    OK.. so right off the bat he gives the Malibu full EPA status of 27 mpg, but chops 1% off the Prius by going from 55.5 to 55. Probably an oversight.

Then he gives the assumption that you'll get 44 mpg, since no one really gets EPA numbers right? So why didn't he reduce the Malibu's 27 MPG by 20% too? Probably an oversight.

13. ozyran

ozyran New Member

The dealership contacted me!

This was their response:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Brad Dick")</div>
    I like how he dodged my questions about what their dealership stance will be when there's a hybrid car with a Chevrolet badge on it sitting in his lot. Or maybe when Chevrolet produces a hybrid car they will refuse to sell it?

14. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's cool! I guess they can't ignore us anymore... the more they talk down the hybrids the more they will help toyota sell'em as what the take away for prospective buyers from this page is that the Prius is apperently in the same size class a Malibu something most people don't realize as they think the prius is a small car.

I wonder if this is our friends Malorn's site?

That's cool! I guess they can't ignore us anymore... the more they talk down the hybrids the more they will help toyota sell'em as what the take away for prospective buyers from this page is that the Prius is apperently in the same size class a Malibu something most people don't realize as they think the prius is a small car.

I wonder if this is our friends Malorn's site?

15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ May 8 2007, 01:25 AM) [snapback]437340[/snapback]</div>
    In my experience, it will, but you won't want to drive it LOL

The Prius will drive at least 95% as well as it does today 10 years down the road. I KNOW thats a fact because I and my family have owned so many Toyota vehicles and kept them to high mileage. We've also owned a couple GM vehicles, and they were extremely bothersome to drive after 60-70k miles due to rattles, lack of body rigidity, sloppy suspension fittings, etc.

I'll always remember, my dad had a 95 Cadillac STS, $50,000 car. At 60k miles he got in and shut the door, the wood trim fell right off the door into his lap. They've gotten better, but not much. All you have to do to see is go test drive a 10 year old GM car, and test drive a 10 year old Toyota. the difference is astonishing...

Fords are not much better, but they're better.

16. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If Brad Dick's response is the best Chevy can muster they are in really deep sh!t. A Prius road trip to the dealership so everyone can ask to see the Chevy that gets 50mpg with the 150,000 mile warranty seems to be in order. We shouldn't be too hard on the guy. He sells Chevies. He wouldn't know quality if it ran into him.

Next time I get one of those "gimme" ads from a Chevy dealer I think I'll take my Prius and ask if they'll trade even up for a Corvette. :p

18. seftonde

seftonde New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    umm, but I don't want a Chevy Malibu...

D

19. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    From the article:

Well, I have the opposite problem. My mileage (and I know many others) IMPROVES in warm weather. A better argument for this guy would be that mileage takes a hit in cold weather. Regardless, AC usage also reduces mileage in conventional cars such as the Malibu.

I'm not even going to bash on the Malibu. I have read some very favorable reviews, the mileage is more or less respectable and it seems to be responsible and safe transportation. That being said I'm not sure why they are being put side by side as a comparison. They are just different cars. Even without the HSD the Prius is more technologically advanced with the SKS, CVT, standard ABS and traction control, optional built in navigation system, VSC, bluetooth, etc. These things go a long way to justify the higher price, not to mention the justified premium you pay for Toyota craftsmanship as has been mentioned many times.

Oh, and while we are talking price, side by side comparisons via Cars.com.
    Based on MY 2007 MSRP.

Malibu $17,215 - $23,675
    Prius $22,175 - $23,070

So based on this the largest price differential is in regards to base models only and a loaded Malibu actually costs a little more and won't touch the feature pkg of a loaded Prius.

20. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ May 8 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]437637[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe "Brad Dick" is a pseudonym for Malorn? :lol: