1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius I Drop in gas milage

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Thomas Habig, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Thomas Habig

Thomas Habig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2001 Prius with 215000 miles on it and my gas milage has dropped from 48 to 39. Had the CEL on and had the codes read. Changed the sparkplugs air cleaner and added fuel injector cleaner. It recently had the triangle of death and I changed out the 12v battery with an Optum kit. ( did not like the $360 Toyoda battery fix). It still did not solve problem where the engine would die after 10 seconds. Took it to the dealer where the MAF and trottle plate was cleaned and codes reset. I have not gotten any better than 39 mpg since this all occured. Any ideas?

2. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    check your brakes, this happened to mine. no codes tho. I jacked each wheel up and spun them by hand. they should move pretty easily. i found that my front passenger caliper was sticking so i replaced it. bingo, back up to 48 mpg. that possibly could be your issue.

3. RickThom1

RickThom1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a right front tire with a screw in it--could not see it on the car. My mileage dropped on my 2012 from 55 mpg to 48 mpg. The other tires were within specs. The TPMS didn't come on until the bad tire dropped to 20 lbs psi. Might want to check all of your tires.

scotman27 likes this.
  4. Thomas Habig

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

Great minds must think alike. Alas, I checked the breaks yesterday and found them OK. Everything moved free and easy.

5. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    you could also try replacing the oxygen sensors. sometimes they go but dont set a code but will affect gas mileage.
    How is your hybrid battery?

6. Thomas Habig

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'll look into the oxygen sensor. The hybrid battery has not thrown any codes.

7. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    one thing you want to invest in is a scangauge 2. they can tell you alot especially on the hybrid side.

8. Paul Baillie

Paul Baillie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What doesa Scangauge 2 cost and where do I find one? Will it isolate Hybrid problems to a specific component?

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What are the Prius ECU codes?

Bob Wilson