1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius II for mountain comutter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by C. Alan, Aug 22, 2011.

1. C. Alan

C. Alan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am currently in the market for a new commuter car. My daily drive takes me from Bear Valley Springs (near Tehachapi), California, through the Mojave Desert to Edwards AFB, about 60 miles every day. The steepest part of my commute is from Mojave to Sand Canyon where Highway 58 climbs about 1000 feet in about 15 miles.

I will be spending about 10k on the car (so obviously I will be buying used) and I have noticed you can pick up a Prius II with around 100k on the clock for this price.

One of my previous cars was a Gen 1 Honda Inisight, so I am famliar with the Honda IMA system, but I have never dealt with the Toyota hybrid system. In my experience, the Insight did ok, until the battery dropped out, and then I would have to drop it down to 3rd gear (it was a 4 speed manual). I could average 65mpg in that car. The reason I am not considering another Insight is because I have 4 kids, and I like having 4 doors.

I have read on this forum that desert heat+ steep mountains = short HV battery life. Should I be conserned about this given that my commute will be brutal on the batteries on a daily basis? I'd like to be able to get 50mpg out of the car if possible.

Thanks,
    C. Alan

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My commute is about 50 miles and has a steep elevation gain of about 1000ft. over 13 miles. Summer temps range from 90° to 110°. With oem 15" wheels and good LRR tires you should be able to get 50mpg as long as you don't use the AC to heavily.

If you expect snow or icy conditions then you may want to stick to a good all-season tire like the Hankook 727.

3. C. Alan

C. Alan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply.
    We get snow about 4 times a year. Chains are often required, so I have a 4x4 that serves as a part farm truck, part snow day transportation.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then I think you'll be fine. Just make sure the inverter coolant pump has been replaced under the recall or otherwise.

The Prius is a great car and although it may not match the Insight 1 in mpg, it will make up for it in utility.

5. RolfS

RolfS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have taken my 2004 that route a number of times on weekends. I never thought about that route being any challenge whatsoever. So don’t worry about it. I have 140k trouble free miles on my Prius. I only had to replace the water pump ($350) at 135k and the 12V battery at 130k.

I don’t consider desert heat or steep mountains to shorten HV battery life as long as you keep the HV battery cool. If you keep your interior comfortable then your HV battery will be kept cool also since it is being cooled from the AC in your cabin. There is a vent to it from the back seat of the car. Also I would not consider your route as steep. :)

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The OP should check to see that the airflow path from the passenger compartment is clean and clear. You never know what kind of critters or crap was carried in a used car.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just as a random thought... since you had an insight, the prius will always have more power... just to make things simple...

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a similar hill that we hit from time to time, coming from Pojoaque to Santa Fe, about 1400'. The Insight battery is about empty by the top and we have to drop to 4th, but the Prius still has two bars SoC and plenty of power.

I think the biggest issue that you might have is intense heat inside the cabin when you go to leave Edwards for the day. You probably already know that a hybrid battery doesn't like that.

A better stress test of the prospective Prius is the other side of the hill, from the turnoff to Arvin to Tehachapi.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1000 feet in 15 miles is 1.3%. That isn't steep. Steep starts when you have twice that climb in half that distance. But never having lived near a desert, I can't address the heat issue.

I wouldn't hold your Insight's need to downshift against it. It was designed for all-out efficiency. America's strong aversion to downshifting on even the steepest high altitude Colorado mountain climbs is a major reason why the country's nonhybrid fleet needlessly guzzles so much fuel everywhere else.

Based on descriptions of the Insight over at CleanMPG, I think I'd have been downshifting it immediately at the start of the climb. Its comparatively small battery was intended for other uses, not major hill climbs. Even the larger Prius battery, when used to supplement the ICE for climbing in the Gen2, depletes quite rapidly. For best battery longevity, climb on ICE power alone.

10. C. Alan

C. Alan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, the hill on the east side of the Tehachapi is not nearly as steep as the hill on the west side. I worked in Bakersfield when I owned the Insight, and it climbed that hill every day. I always used up the battery on that hill.

The heat during the day is my main concern. I have parked hybrids in the heat with full batteries, and come back to packs showing half charges. I wonder if anyone has ever created a solar powered cooling fan for the battery area so it won't get so hot during the day.

--C. Alan

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius battery will likely be "depleted" to 40% when you climb the hill too. But there is enough power without the battery assist to make it up the grade. I climb 8% and steeper grades all the time no problem at 80mph in my GenII. If you drive stupidly and continue to wander with the accelerator pedal, you will more than likely loose speed on 7% grades.

Showing half charges and actually being half charges are different. Heat definitely affects batteries. You cannot use them for high current when hot, and that is why the Prius cools them.

Yeah, Toyota did it on the Prius lol :D

The GenIII Prius has an option to come with a solar roof that runs the AC when parked to keep the cabin and batteries cool.