1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius II Front Strut Interchange

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by born2pdl, Dec 17, 2010.

1. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Left strut on my car (2005, 95k miles) has started weeping oil. One great benefit with early year cars (04's-05's) is the great availability of fresh used parts (08's~09's). Not for everyone, but great for those experienced in assessing mechanical parts for reuse.

I especially like fresh low miles factory struts because they come fully assembled with their low miles coil springs, all for around $100-150/pair. Long story short, it's surprizing how much ride and handling improvement you get by replacing 100+K mile springs (and this from one who drives high miles cars and doesn't replace parts just for fun). Even so, I'd put a lot more miles on this car before replacing struts if one weren't leaking.

Anyway, Steve at autobeyours thinks all 04-09 front struts interchange fine. I just wanted to check to see if others here feel the same or have replaced struts with a pair from a different year car. Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you already replaced the front struts with parts from a 2008 or 2009? The parts catalog shows different part numbering for older 2G vs. newer, so I am interested to hear about your experience replacing the struts.

Assuming that you have already replaced the front struts, I am wondering whether you have disassembled the old struts to see how much compression resistance exists? My guess is that you will find that both struts are not in good condition, regardless of whether you saw a visible oil leak or not.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats a good idea as removing & installing the spring is SCARY!
    It was for me at least not doing them everyday. So easy to get hurt. Thats the hard part.

Take that out of the equation and its not a bad driveway job.
    Good thinking.

4. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My OP wasn't very clear on that. I'm currently looking into putting 09 front struts into my 05. Haven't done it yet on this car, but have done it in the past on other cars.

So far it looks like the physical bolt-up features and fit are the same. Probably have different dampening and spring rates, hence the different PNs. I'll acquire a pair of used ~09 struts/springs soon, get them in and report.

5. rubbersidedown

rubbersidedown Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I also want to do this let us know asap if 09 struts will fly ok?

6. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have both front strut assemblies, 2009's. Next week I'll try the swap. It's 12°F outside right now, garage is much warmer, still a bit chilly though.

For those who have changed front struts already, did you remove the windshield wiper tray to get to the strut tower fasteners, or can you get to them as is?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you need to remove the cowl tray in order to access the top strut bearing nuts, but this is not hard to do.

8. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Today I replaced the original front struts from my 2005 with used 2009 strut assys. Strut assys were identical. Very easy job since I didn't need to change over the springs. Probably took me as much time to move the wiper assy out of the way as it took for the strut change. The used 2009 strut assys were $160/pair. Or just get a new pair of KYBs from rockauto.com for $125 shipped and change over the springs.

A couple of salvage yards said front struts wouldn't interchange past 03-2005. Manufacturing date on my car is 09-2005. However I can't imagine toyota would change either their top or bottom mount features mid-generation, would be way too costly. It's likely just a minor change to something like the small brake line/abs wire bracket. I think 2009 front struts would bolt onto any Gen II including 04's. Someone will have to prove it out for the 04's though.

1 person likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice job. You probably saved $ 400. Thats the way to fly.

I like KYB's and I really liked Tokico's on my 240SX. Big difference.
    I don't think Tokico makes a set for the Prius though.
    I replaced the springs myself twice on other cars I had and that really sucked. Its just flat out dangerous.

When I go OOW I will go the same way you did.