1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius III NAV or no NAV?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ewus11, Mar 23, 2011.

1. ewus11

ewus11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm planning on purchasing a Prius III mostly for the Bluetooth option. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not the navigation package would be worth it for me or not. I already have a Garmin and from what I've been reading the Garmin is just as good if not better than the Toyota Navigation. Thoughts, comments?

Second, I understand that the NAV package enables you to have a USB port with Ipod connectivity. I have an old ipod (not touch) and an iphone 3g. I'd like to be able to listen to music from my iphone and ipod through the car stereo. In my reading there seem to be a number of ways to do this (aux. jack/bluetooth/USB and some seem to work better than others. It seems the USB is the only option I wouldn't get with just the regular Prius III. Is the USB worth it? I've read people having issues with ipods and iphones...what is the best way to hook them up through the car and which seems to work the best?

Thanks!

2. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The biggest plus for the Nav option is the sunroof that's packaged along with it.

I've become disenchanted with the factory Nav system for its destination inaccuracy. I've had to use my iPhone on a number of occasions for the last 100 - 500 yards to a programmed destination.

If the sunroof isn't sufficiently attractive, I'd recommend looking at the aftermarket Nav systems like Rosen and skip Toyota's offering. You'll have no problem finding iPhone/iPod adapters - I had to get one for my vehicle when the original Toyota iPod adapter didn't work, the dealership gave up on it and had a third-party installer put in some other device.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unless the 2011 is packaged different than the 2010, my 2010 III with Nav did not come packaged with the sunroof.

I really like my Nav for the following reasons:
    • Nav GPS system functions fine for my use. I have not had any problems with mine once I took the time to configure it to match my driving styles.
    • The backup camera.
    • The hands-free phone system with the controls on the steering wheel, speed dial selection options, etc.
    • The USB port interface and the other Audio screens.
    • Intergrated in to the dash. No external devices or connections. Less prone for break-ins.

1 person likes this.
  4. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If all you want is the Nav, get a Garmin or Magellan - they are much better units. In a word, the Toyota Nav sucks. If, however you want all of the other niceties, get a third party unit like a Panasonic, Rosen, etc. Check out the threads here, or Crutchfield's Car Selector. If you want to use Safety Connect, you may want to verify that these other units will work with it.

5. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased a III with bluetooth without the Nav because I heard Toyota's Navigation was bad. I thought I could add ipod connector to a JBL Prius III, but it's not possible, other than as a six disk changer (ie allows you to play your first six playlists on your ipod). I found the aux connector to be a pain since you have to open up the center console to plug it in.

I also thought I would be fine with my portable Garmin. I found I wasn't using the Garmin as much as I should of since it was a hassle to setup all the time. I kinda of regretted not getting the Navigation option. It would of made things simpler. The USB on the Toyota is far from perfect as people will tell you.

In the end I swapped out the JBL stereo for a Sony XNV-770BT that has Tom Tom Navigation and bluetooth. I'm now happy with my stereo. I did like the voice control of the Prius Bluetooth which I've lost since my phone doesn't support voice dialing. I have bluetooth support for my phone and for streaming music. I also find that since the Navigation is integrated I find I use it all the time now.

If I was buying a car again I probably would of just bought a Prius III with Navigation just because it required no work on my end. A Prius II with a Rosen system added on is another option. It will give you bluetooth like you want but I don't believe you get the voice commands like the Prius Bluetooth. It supports streaming music over bluetooth.

If you like the Prius bluetooth voice control go for a Nav system. If you just want basic phone control and the ability to stream music via bluetooth and USB then save yourself some money and buy a Prius II and put in an aftermarket stereo. There some good information on how to do the install. I did mine and I'd never done a stereo install before. The cost for the parts for my install was about $1000.