1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Improvement Wish list

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimmyhua, Jun 13, 2006.

1. jimmyhua

jimmyhua New Member

Hello All,

I bought myself a 2006 Prius and it is a pretty darned neat car. However, there are a few things needed to make it better.

1. Make Pulse and Glide easy to do! Reading the forums this is the way to get the best mileage. In fact, you can do it on a regular car. Just accelerate briskly to 5mph above your desired speed, then shift to neutral. Watch your car slow down to 5mph below your desired speed. Shift back to drive and accelerate 5mph above again! Wash rinse repeat. In fact, it is easier to do it on a regular automatic car! You don't have to feather the throttle. I'd like maybe a hidden menu option, where you can change the Prius so when you let go of the throttle at high speed, the car coasts instead of regenerate. I know how to step on the brake pedal.

2. Bigger trunk to allow for a full sized spare tire. This was a shocker for me, as all the other cars I have, I have gone back and bought a full sized spare.

3. Better window wiper in the back.

4. Conventional shifter. Heck if we had this, I wouldn't even necessarily need #1.

Finally, before anyone asks. I've had the car for 3 days now, and my MPG is 33 miles to the gallon according to the display.

Jimmy

2. jimmyhua

jimmyhua New Member

5. Add a tachometer. so you know when the engine is running. And you can pulse to 3000 rpms or whatever rpms the engine would operate most efficiently at!

3. riscky

riscky New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimmyhua @ Jun 13 2006, 08:06 AM) [snapback]270429[/snapback]</div>
    I've had mine for 5 days now and I don't pulse and glide... and I average 45.2 MPG. I just drive normal.

As for the shifter... I kinda like it... however when I turned off the beeping this weekend I noticed something... to me down should be R while up should be D. Ten mins after I turned beeping off I mixed the two up a few times.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can't have a conventional shifter in the Prius because the Prius has no gears. There is no shifting.

The computer sees to it that the engine will run at the most efficient rpm for the conditions. You'd only make it worse if you could override that. And BTW, you can get a tachometer if you install CAN-View.

My wish list:

1. A 30-mile plug-in EV range at normal city driving speed & acceleration. (Darn it all, that CDrive Systems mod sure does look nice! Though it does not change speed and power limits in EV mode.)

2. Simple, mechanical climate controls instead of the amazingly user-unfriendly computer-controlled climate control.

3. A girlfriend. The car should come with a personable and attractive woman. (Or man: buyer's choice.)

5. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimmyhua @ Jun 13 2006, 05:06 AM) [snapback]270429[/snapback]</div>
    Do that enough and you will quickly be in the tranmission shop! Regular cars are not designed to be constantly shifted into Neutral while moving. Since the Prius works differently that is not the case.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Prius needs a smug meter. Being laughed at in close to 200 posts in the "Hybrid Racing Stories" thread is embarrassing.

7. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have two suggestions:

1. Better seats. Better as in electronically adjustable. Lumbar support.

2. Warn us not to use GPS or Bluetooth while in motion but do not restrain our use. We have paid for the use of this technology. When we are on a trip my wife (as the passenger) can operate the GPS while I drive.....or visa versa. But as configured that is impossible.

I hope Toyota is listening.

Cheers

8. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    bicycle-like pedals for manual propulsion so that you could pedal it if you ran out of gas. B)

9. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(riscky @ Jun 13 2006, 06:22 AM) [snapback]270441[/snapback]</div>
    Well, on my 1991 Camry and my 1985 Honda, the floor-mounted shifter had (from front of the car to the back of the car) PRNDL. That is exactly the way the Prius is laid out, except it's mounted on the dash.

10. toyotablackbox

toyotablackbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I like the way the Prius is now. I love the cloth seats which I find every comfortable and supportive without the need for power or memory adjustments (I am a healthy weight, not to call most Americans unhealthy or anything, but I think that is why a lot of people complain about the seats). It would be nice if they didn't "sanitize" the American from the JDM version though, give us the auto-park system and plasmacluster air ionization systems, or as they will more likely do, make them included in the high end packages that I can't afford yet. The last thing I want Toyota to do is move production of the Prius to America, make it two feet bigger in every dimension, give it more power, and put in wide unsupportive seats that will accomodate the 200+ pound American drivers. I would be more than happy with the 1.0L beams engine and its 70 some horsepower coupled to an Li-ion battery pack and motor that I could plug in every night and drive 150 miles before using gasoline each day. I'm in it for the environment not the race track.

11. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jun 13 2006, 11:51 AM) [snapback]270514[/snapback]</div>
    Or a crank to charge the battery enough to get you to the next gas station.... :unsure:

I would also add:
    1. Telescoping steering wheel
    2. DRL with auto-on headlights (they have this in Canada)
    3. Auto-dimming driver-side mirror

12. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

1) Tilt AND telescoping steering wheel. There are three points of reference that need to be addressed to make a car that can comfortably fit everyone. Your butt, your hands and your feet. Two of these three need to be adjustable to fit everyone. My current car has movable seats, tilt steering wheel (no telescope) and movable pedals. The movable pedals part should be easy to do on a drive by wire car like the Prius.

2) 2-3" more rearward travel on the seats. (Also height and tilt adjustments would be nice.)

3) A replacable faceplate to allow installation of RETMA standard audio parts. I am a programmer, and I am starting to see a LOT of computer cases (Dell is noted for this) with molded front panels that limit what I can install in the case.

4) A plug in audio jack on the OUTSIDE of the console, so I can put my player on the passenger seat for easy use.

5) A Navigation system with a 'birds eye' map view. My current car has this (Nissan is the only mfg that I know of that installs this type of Nav). The 'birds eye' view tilts the top of the map away from you toward the horizon, so objects close to you are in large scale at the bottom of the screen, while more distant things are at smaller scale, giving you a bigger picture of thing further away. Visually, it lets you mentally 'overlay' the map with the view through the windshield much more easily than the plane view available in the Toyota navigation system.

6) I don't have my Prius yet, but I do not think the current one supports this, voice entry of digits and letters so you can enter new phone numbers and destinations into the system as you drive. I don't need full speech recognition if I can have these. Rather than just allowing you to reference previously entered numbers, addresses, etc.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 13 2006, 07:38 AM) [snapback]270477[/snapback]</div>
    The Camry Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid and Lexus Rx400h all have the same type of planetary gears power splitting device that the Prius has, in lieu of a transmission, yet they all have conventional looking floor (or lower dash) mounted shifters.

14. Pollenfax

Pollenfax New Member

Overall I think it's a perfect car and couldn't come up with any improvements until I read some of the previous posts and agree on the following...

1. A 10-20 mile plug-in EV range. Would make the car AMAZING.

2. Warn us not to use GPS or Bluetooth while in motion but do not restrain our use.

3. Tilt AND telescoping steering wheel.

This car has exceeded all my expectations. Can't say enough good things about it. :)

15. Aardvick

Aardvick New Member

I love my Prius and would only change one thing: the seat adjustment! I am not particularly tall (5'9"), yet I cannot push the driver's seat BACK far enough to be comfortable. As it is now, I must bend my knees so much that my right leg does not rest on the seat cushion. For whatever reason, this is fatiging and I often stick my wallet (about 1.5" thick) under my right leg for support, to make the position more comfortable. Another 2-3" of backward movement would be sufficient. Either that or adding a tilt option so I could raise the front of the seat. Other than that, I've got no complaints! -V

16. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 13 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]270477[/snapback]</div>
    IF CAN-View were in fact available for a 2006, but it's not (the original poster has a 2006). If it were available, I'd certainly be interested in ift for the 2006 I have on order but there seems to be a lack of motivation for making that happen.

And I still want a solar panel that is the same contour as the roof to top off the battery when it's just sitting in a sunny parking lot.

17. jimmyhua

jimmyhua New Member

When I first got the car from the dealer, it already had some 40 miles on it, averaging 18 MPGs.

I usually average something like 40 MPGs or so.

There was this one night, with no traffic, that I successfully did the pulse and glide thing for like 20 minutes.

First 5 minutes was 25 MPG. The REST of the 5 minute increments all shows 100+ MPGs. I was floored!!! That was simply amazing.

Tried it again, the next couple of days, and even though there was traffic, it should have been easy to do!!!

The thing that was stopping me was getting the pedal position just right. I think it would be easier if I could just let go of the pedal and coast.

To the person who said, it will kill the transmission on your car. You may be right. But there was a time on Guam, when no gasoline was available for 2 weeks (due to a typhoon causing a major fire where all the gas is kept). I still had to drive to work. My gas tank usually lasted about 1.5 weeks at that time. 2 weeks later, I only used about half my gas tank using the above pulse and glide technique. So I'm pretty sure I upped my fuel economy of my pickup truck from a measily 18 MPGs to about 35-36 MPGs.

I continued to do this 2 years after the typhoon as I was impressed about the improved gas mileage. But it got to be a pain in the nice person and so I stopped. And then, the shifter did in fact, get loose and needed to be fixed. Also, once the gas was flowing again, I wasn't nearly as aggressive when it came to the glide and coast unless I was going down a downgrade where there could be some clear benefit.

---

I really don't mind the 2006 prius shifter. It's different from the 2001-2003 models. And way different from conventional. But I don't mind it. BUT, I do believe, it is keeping alot of people from buying a Prius. One look at that, and the power button, and they think they need to be computer-literate to drive one of these cars.

Jimmy

18. Dr Why

Dr Why New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What's life without regrets,
    1 Comfort - the seats are FIRM, with few adjustments(no motors= less weight=better MPG)
    2 the door armrests - is that 1/8th" or 1/16th" of foam padding under the cloth?
    the same for the console lid.
    It's almost summer, I can't rest my elbows (in short sleeves) for long on them
    (I know - wait for winter & padded sleeves)

Hey anyone with aftermarket leather-- do they add more padding?

19. volkl

volkl Junior Member

It would be nice to add a feature to the wireless key fob --- when one depresses the unlock button for more than 5 seconds, all the windows automatically lower to cool the car, just like Lexus does.

A small solar panel built into the roof which runs both an air intake and air exhaust fans

A switch which turns the console into a beverage/sandwich cooler

OnStar-like services --- human contact on airbag deployments, password unlock assistance

Subwoofer for JBL sound system

Airconditioned air coming from the perforations in the leather seats (ala new Lexus).

Butt warmers for winter and leather seats

Collision avoidance radar with copmuter intiated braking for in fog like Acura now advertises

for young people, different interior trim options like the mini cooper offers -- that sort of sin city/Gotham look and feel

20. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    EV as standard available here!