1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in Car and Driver, April, 2004 issue.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by plusaf, Mar 20, 2004.

1. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well, if i did this right, you should be able to see my scans of a few pages and snippets from the April C/D. i'm putting them on my site to save space here and not impact download/read times for you.

first, there's some flames from flaming-you-know-whats who don't understand the car at all, in their "Backfires" letters-to-Ed section.

see http://www.plusaf.com/prius/backfires1.jpg (~50kB) and
    http://www.plusaf.com/prius/backfires2.jpg (~50kB) and a snippet who called the Prius a "... gas-electric...eco-weenie-mobile"...

it got hilarious right after that, because just a few pages later came an article by one of their editors ....

http://www.plusaf.com/prius/patrickbedard.jpg (~250kB) and less than twenty pages later, http://www.plusaf.com/prius/priusracecar.jpg (~270kB) !

i was laughing so hard!

if you don't get C/D, right-click the links and download. they're a hoot!
    guaranteed virus-free, too. just scanned and output as .jpgs.

now i'll post and make sure the links work.

enjoy!

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I read the Patrick Bedard article a few weeks ago, and made a copy of it. I think it's one of the best ways to explain what's really revolutionary about the '04 Prius -- why it really is an automative milestone, independent of your bias towards air quality or fuel economy. (Both are big factors in my buying the Prius, but are certainly not shared by everyone.)

I've found it excellent "shorthand" description of the Prius to the other engineers in my company. The lightbulb clicks on over their head, followed by the inevitable "Cool!"

It doesn't convince them to buy a Prius -- but they are generally interested in getting a car or truck with Hybrid Synergy Drive down the road.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Patrick Bedard article is excellent. The letter-writers are clearly not Prius's target consumers. The idea of a racing Prius strikes me as silly. Thanks for posting these.

4. hedwig

hedwig New Member

I just wonder how many of the people who say it doesn't perform actually have driven it, or if they're just going on the fact that it's a 110 hp 4 cylinder. It doesn't quite match up to my current turbo, but when the salesman throttled the demo car, I was duly impressed. But then I don't have the expectations of someone who cruises the streets in an IROC.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Those people want to drive a Corvette or a Porsche or a Ferrari. Reliability doesn't matter to them because they enjoy fixing their car, it's a fun hobby for them. They don't care about mileage or pollution either. They figure their personal contribution to smog and CO2 is too small to matter. -- But the editors obviously disagree, and recognize the importance of the Prius, and the interest some of their readers will have in it.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the posting. Bedard exquisitely explains what I often find difficult. I will print it and keep copies in Priapus and in my desk.

I laughed at the writers' comments. It's blindingly obvious that their idea of advancement in automotive technology includes shinier paint and bent sheet metal. Their perspectives were put in place with Bedards' reference to his experience in Engineering school. I would like to see nay-sayers' engineering credentials prior to listening to their bleatings.