1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius' in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RayBarboni, May 1, 2007.

1. RayBarboni

RayBarboni New Member

Now that I'm out of college and (moderately) financially independent, I'm looking into buying a new car. With a 40 min commute to work (each way, driving about 60-65 mph, with occasional stops), I'm definitely interested in MPG, and as far as I can tell the Prius is just about the best out there for the money. I've been reading through this forum, but I've yet to find someone posting about their experience with the car in the Midwest.

I live about an hour west of Chicago, and as such, I get to experience all that weather has to offer - rain, sleet, snow, ice, 100 degrees with blazing sun - it's really a lot of fun. I want to make sure a Prius is the right way to go as an all-weather type vehicle. I'm currently in a 2000 Honda Accord that it seems I have to get something fixed on every 3 months. I'm getting 24 MPG on that thing right now, so from what I've read, I'm likely to at least double that with a Prius.

Now, I park my car outside almost every day, which is a problem in the winter for my Accord. Seeing as the Prius has a push button start, how do you go about starting the car if the first attempt doesn't work?

Is it a hassle to find someone (other than the dealer) to work on the car if something should happen to it? I'm looking at buying the car from a dealer who's having a farewell sale, so I can hopefully get a good chunk of change knocked off the sticker price (~25,500 package #4 I believe).

Sorry for the haphazard organization of this post... stream of consciousness at work, I suppose.

Thanks.

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome to PriusChat! There have been others in the Chicago and far western suburbs who have posted about their MPG. You will double or better your current Accord.

The Prius is great for all weather conditions, although most will tell you the OEM tires are not great for winter driving. A Prius starts easier than most any other vehicle since the hybrid battery starts the engine, can't beat 201.6 volts at 20 below. But if you have a place to plug an engine block heater in you and the engine will warm faster.

There are VERY few auto shops that want to look at a Prius, because of the hybrid system. However, the Prius is so free of problems that you should not worry about that, just make sure and do the routine maintenance items.

Also please join us at ChicagoPriusGroup.com and come to our meet-up on Sunday, May 20th.

Wayne

3. RayBarboni

RayBarboni New Member

An addendum to my previous question...

This will be my first time buying my own car, and from what I've read on here, the sticker price is hardly ever what is actually paid for the car. Any owners around my area (western 'burbs of Chicago) have pricing info on similar Prii ('07 Package #4)? And anywhere else I should look for similar info?

Thanks.

4. steviet

steviet New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ray,

I live in the north east, Boston to be specific and we experience much the same weather you do in Chicago. Ironically I went from a 2000 accord to the prius and I have doubled my gas mileage. Since August of '06 to today I have averaged 51mpg. I was getting around 24-28 in the accord depending on the weather. I have found the traction to be fine in the snow/sleet conditions in the prius, actually found it better than the accord (I had a sports coupe if it makes a difference). Make sure you get the traction control and vehicle stability options, I believe they are present in the package #4 and up which should also get you the side curtain air bags if you chose to go with the prius.

In the end it will really depend on how you drive the vehicle, but considering your current mileage I bet you have the same results as I in the mpg.

Steve

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ray,

Go on the Internet and do some e-mailing to different dealers as a start. And don't confine yourself to around your area, you can buy your car anywhere and the local dealer will service it, if need be :) .

Wayne

6. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RayBarboni @ May 1 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]433370[/snapback]</div>
    Our car never had any issue starting this past winter and we park outside. For any number of tips, or if you'd like to come to the next meeting on May 20th, see the Chicago Prius Group page maintained by PC member Tony Shaeffer.

There only issue for us with snow this winter was ground clearance. The Prius only has about 6" clearance, so driving through deep snow can be problematic. I had to shovel out our parking spot a bit more than I needed to with our prior Subaru, but we're getting twice the gas mileage so I really didn't mind.

Try hitting search and enter Chicago and you'll probably find any number of posts from people in this area. One local driver who also lives in the Chicagoland suburbs put 47,000 miles on his Prius in its first year.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey Ray,
    If you want to meet and talk with other Prius Owners in the Chicagoland area, come to our meeting on May 20th. We're expecting a pretty good number of Prius owners. I'm sure most of them would be willing/able to give you some great advice.

For more information about the meeting and the Prius in general, head on over to http://www.chicagopriusgroup.com

And Welcome to PriusChat!!