1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in China

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pewd, May 30, 2007.

1. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This was taken from the front window of a taxi in Shanghai, China, last week.
    I didn't actually see any driving around, but did see several advertisements.
    I thought it was unusual, so heres a pic.

Attached Files:

2. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm actually surprised that China hasn't copied the Prius, sold it for half the price and you'll be lucky to get a year out of it before it breaks. :rolleyes:

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< It has been previously posted and reported that Toyota was building a Prius factory in China and that Prius manufactured there would be sold ONLY in China. Sounds like it's happening.

4. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My parents, who reside in Shanghai were actually interested in purchasing a prius out there until they saw the price. I believe it cost 350,000 RMB for the base package, which is around 43,000 USD. China, in order to protect its domestic car production, has huge tariffs on imported cars. That is why VW, BMW, Mercedes, and i guess now toyota all have domestic plants in China to produce cars for China.

I believe eventually, those plants will be churning out cars exported around the world.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ May 31 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]452652[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. Bet money on it. Right now it seems like China and India are running #1 & #2 for low overhead. I think China has the edge in (heavy) manufacturing while India has the edge in (light) manufacturing and the service industry. The key is millions of surplus people and no environmental regulation to increase costs.

6. Army5339

Army5339 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In China, you do not drive Prius, Prius drives you.