1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in desert climates?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hlunde, Feb 8, 2012.

1. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm thinking of giving my 2010 Prius to my daughter in Arizona. Should I be concerned about summer high temperatures and traction battery effects? I've seen posts where there is a concern about blockage of the air inlet to the battery cooling fan. But, what if the ambient air temperature at the inlet is simply very high? Of course AC will be used but for short trips the inlet temperature could exceed 50C. Vehicle has 38,000 miles on odometer.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is suppose to take care of itself and will within the operating thresholds. Like the super cold temps up here will probably impact the overall life of the HV batteries, I suspect the high temps will too. How much? I wouldn't worry about it.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are both Toyota dealerships and Priuses in Arizona.
    Don't worry about it.

If you decide to worry anyway, have your daughter take her (your) G3 into her closest dealership for a looky-see when summer hits, but really......I wouldn't worry about it.

Joisey is a CARB state, so if the vehicle remains in your name and registered in YOUR state, the battery is covered by the longer warranty period. That's probably not your intent, and it's probably not legal, technically speaking. Yer call.

OK.....so here's some good news. If your kid reeeeally likes the hybrid thing, and she decides to stay in AZ....they're A CARB state for 2012 and newer vehicles IIRC. Her next car will be thusly covered.

Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good info about warranties. I'm still hoping for some replies from long- term Arizona owners.

5. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had the Prius for 2 years now in Phoenix. It does just fine here as the AC will do the job nicely even during 115 degree days. I find it cools down in 3 to 5 minutes, but I suggest your daughter gets a windshield sun deflector if she's parking it all day in an uncovered parking lot. Toyota dealerships have one for about $40 made to size for a Prius.

Mileage will be lower in the heat of the summer. The HV battery is under more usage to run the AC and hence the ICE is running more to keep it charged. The solar powered sunroof (if yours is equipped) won't do any good in this kind of heat.

1 person likes this.
  6. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A quick investigation of battery characteristics tends to alleviate my concerns. See attached graphic.

Attached Files:

Robert Holt likes this.
  7. SDave

SDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had a Gen 2 in Tucson for the last 6 years. No problems. The 12v battery even lasted 5 years. None of my other car batteries last more than about 24 months. Mileage will vary with the seasons but I have a lifetime average of over 52 mpg.

8. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have not seen any issues with the auto after dealing with our >100F temps. The cabin temp is @78F easily after about two miles of driving. So far my mileage has been @58 - 65mpg with the A/C on. I see Prius autos here in the metropolitan Phoenix area all the time, thousands of them. I'm sure Toyota would of reconsidered sales in this environment if there would of been issues by multiple prius owners. When I went various Toyota dealers to pick out Prius autos, each dealership we went to ad about 20 -30 Prius autos each to keep up with demand. As a previous poster said, standard auto batteries do normally only last two years here in these desert environments.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All about keeping cabin temp down. Like prev. said must use PriusShop Custom Fit Windowshade (there great!) and car must have dark tint. Crack windows 1/2 inch when sitting too. Then use AC when driving.

If she lets the cabin cook to death when not using it she will have issues down the road.

10. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Never had a problem with my 2004 for the 8 years I had it in Tucson. Don't expect any problems with the 2012 either.

11. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I religiously use a front windshield solar shade, mainly to keep the dash from taking a beating but also to keep the solar energy heating to a minimum. I never cracked the windows when parked and usually only turned on the A/C when the temps where over 100 F. And my 2004 battery was still going strong after 8 years of operating like this. Not sure I agree that she will have issues down the road if she treats it like a normal car.:)

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You drove around in a car in AZ with temps in the cabin approaching 100 and didn't use the AC?

13. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ^^ It's a dry heat... ;)

Grew up in the heat and have never had a problem tolerating a bit more than a normally sane person. :p

14. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AZGeek wrote outdoor temp 100F in the cabin probably closer to 130-140 LOL

15. Xaran

Xaran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Im not in Arizona but I live in the high desert area of So Cal, the past 2 -3 months here have been in the 90 -105 temps and my Prius has been the same as any other car Ive owned. Takes 3-5 minutes for the A/C to cool it down, I run my A/C all the time, set at 76. My average MPG running freeways at 65 -85 mph is about 43-46 mpg

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He probably opened the windows, that would reduce the cabin temperature close to 100F.

orenji likes this.
  17. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    But that messes up the aerodynamics. I prefer to have my body blister from the heat. ;)

new iPad ?

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here. I never use the AC even when it's 110F unless I have passengers.

19. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Don't you guys sweat and your shirts stick to the seats???

I have read the Nissan Leaves in AZ are losing battery capacity quicker than elsewhere.

DailyTech - Nissan Leaf Battery Can't Take Arizona Heat, Dealerships Knocking $5,000 Off Price

No sure if this is a Li-on thing, or some owners charge it when the car is out in the sun.

I understand Prii are different because the small % of capacity used, and charging stops once the car is parked.

20. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What is the source of this graph?