1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in mountains

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by airman, May 8, 2008.

1. airman

airman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We just got back from a three day mountain trip on our 08 Prius. We drove down the Blue Ridge Parkway from lower Virginia to the Boone NC exit. I can not believe that we got 50 MPG. We were going only 35 mph or so and taking it easy. The next day we went to Grandfather Mountain. I was a little apprehensive about how it would perform on the steep grades going up to Grandfather Mountain. I watched the battery level bars and it rapidly went down to two bars where it stayed for half the climb up but the amazing little machine just kept going with no problem or drama. I think the excellent match of the ICE and the CVT make it amazingly versatile. I had no problem keeping up with a Chevy V8 truck that looked at my ride and sneered a bit before we left the entrance to go up. I drove a total of 570 miles and used a bit over 11 gallons of gasoline. Gotta love it!:):):)

2. GasHog

GasHog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I actually was just in the mountains of Boone this past weekend. I have a place up there and love it. I just bought a Prius a couple of weeks ago and I can't believe how many of them I saw in that area. I did not get a chance to take mine up therre because I had the family and drove the Odyssey. Glad to hear that it did well because I was a little concerned. Good report.

3. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My company is currently doing work in both Poulson and Dillon Montana, and I drive round-trip from the Spokane WA area to both towns at least three times a month. There are three passes, up to about 6000' for the continental divide, and on my last trip I averaged 52 MPG. I actually did not do anything special, other than keep my speed below 70 MPH (most of the freeway is posted 75) and used the cruise control for at least 80% of the trip. I would get around 30-35 MPG going up the passes, but, of course, it was 99+ a lot of the way down. The car drives really well in the mountains, but I am going to get some all-weather radials at the end of the summer before the really bad weather sets in. We usually use Toyo's on our vans, but if anyone has a suggestion, let me know.

Pat

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you'd wanted to you probably could have easily passed him and left him behind. The engine may roar as it provides the necessary power, but that's normal; the computers won't let it harm itself.

5. thfrancis

thfrancis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We went to Yosemite (including Tioga Pass) in the Prius. No problemo on the mountain roads. There is one particularly steep section (called Old Priest Grade) which burned through the battery charge, but the car had no problem maintaining speed.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's another Blue Ridge tale, generously laced with Prius
    observations. By letting the terrain dictate what you do a
    little more, the MPG can go even higher. And there's absolutely
    no reason to hurry along those roads!
    _H*

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hay, welcome to the mountains!!! :D

My Prius and I live in Boone and we both love it here. Since springtime has finally arrived, I'm back up to 52-53 mpg tanks, so its certainly possible here in the high country. I'm still using my engine block heater, but I know other folks on here that use theirs year round. I'll probably soon take off the front grill block. Welcome spring!! :cool: