1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in the cold

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Dec 3, 2007.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, "real" winter is here, and I've been having fun with my Prius.

Starting - The "starter motor" is a high voltage unit powered by the NiMH battery (capacity about twice what a large passenger lead acid battery has), and it shows. The car starts the ICE with no problem. I've seen coolant temps below -5C after one overnight "rest", with no assist from the thermos, so I conclude it isn't insulated well enough for these ambient temps (around -20C or 0F) or doesn't hold enough "warm" coolant to have much of an effect.
    Normally, the car will start the ice about 5-7 sec after I press "on". With the coolant around 0C the ice starts after 2-4 sec. I can't even get the car out of the garage before it starts.

Heat Man!! - (Ambient temp at -20C) I drive about two blocks and have to stop at a light - coolant temp around 30C. The coolant very slowly warms while the engine is idling at the light (1200 RPM or so), consuming about 1 litre per hour. I run the heating/cooling system on "auto". The fan doesn't start until the coolant reaches 45 to 50C. At 45C coolant temp it blows cool but not cold air. At 50C coolant temp it blows nice hot air. Trouble is, if you just let it idle the coolant will only reach 40C (again, ambient at -20C or 0F). I have to drive to get the engine to warm up - this takes about four blocks to 45C, six blocks to 50C. Once it is "warm", typically running around 60-70C in the city, and I stop at a light, the coolant temp slowly drops, whether the engine shuts down or not. I guess I should say "cool", because that is what it does. I was commenting on this to a friend, and he informed me his car with a 1500cc aluminum engine does the same. I'm used to the anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD). It wastes so much fuel it never cooled and would warm up while idling, but then it consumed 3.5 l/hr when idling :eek: .
    So I'm sitting at the light and decide to pull the same trick I used to with the anti-Prius to warm it up quicker, depress throttle at the light with brake applied. The car pushed against the brakes but the engine didn't change RPM. Basically, nothing happened except the traction battery was "force charged" a bit. Funny!
    So is the car "cold" in winter. NO!! It warms up very nicely if you drive. Thankyou Toyota for making the buttons large. I can actually wear my insulated gloves while driving and operate things!

The front grills are blocked. All data attained with a Scangauge II. Block heater not used, but car is parked in an insulated unheated garage, interior temp around -5C currently. I'm retired, so I can't predict when I will be using the car and so don't bother with the block heater.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info!

So I should just shut off the AUTO A/C at the traffic light then? I mean even in -2°C weather, if I was driving the car last night, it'll shut off at the traffic light 4 blocks away. Sometimes it takes up to 7-10 blocks but it'll shut off if I don't have the heater running. I'm usually wearing enough layers that I won't freeze in that min or so at the lights. Since you said it'll only warm up to 40°C, there really is no point letting it idle then.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Oh heck, you live in the tropical zone. The car still warms with ambient above -10C, beyond 40C to 50 or so.

It is funny though, if you think about it. I'm "trapped" at the light, sitting there shivering. Nothing I can do but wait. AND IT'S A VERY LONG LIGHT! :)

4. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Well, you know, starting the car and letting it warm up in the garage is an option. It'll kill your mileage, but it will heat up faster inside and you'll get warm air sooner. Having an engine block heater in the garage could pretty much guarantee you warm air very quickly however!! Is that not an option? i.e. no plug?? or extension cord? :cool:

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When's the next EBH group buy?!?!