1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in the News as Delivery Room

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by TomC, Apr 29, 2007.

1. TomC

TomC New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    From the Salem Oregon Statesman Journal

Mom delivers her own baby in moving car

Baby couldn't wait for her parents to arrive at hospital

BY JILLIAN DALEY
    Statesman Journal

April 29, 2007

A McMinnville woman gave birth to a daughter on the way to Salem Hospital on Friday evening -- while her husband was still driving on Highway 99W.

The couple, Scott and Melanie Miller, had stopped in at Salem Hospital on Friday morning, but the birth appeared far from imminent: Melanie was barely dilated. The two expected the baby to arrive late Friday night or Saturday morning. It turned out they didn't have that kind of time.

At 5:20 p.m., back at their McMinnville home, Melanie's water broke, and while the two were in the car, her contractions abruptly intensified. So, she placed her feet on the dashboard of their 2005 Toyota Prius.

"Before I could even ask her 'do you want me to pull over?' the baby was coming out," Scott said.

Melanie didn't even take off her seat belt, according to Scott. At 5:43 p.m., near Amity, Dahlia Grace Miller popped out: 5 pounds, 6 ounces and 18 inches long. The couple's first child was born six days past her due date.

"The baby just slid out into her arms," said Dahlia's grandma, Judy Miller of Salem.

Melanie poked a hole in the baby's amniotic sac so she could breath. She then patted Dahlia on the back, and the child spit up a little mucus.

"Mothering instinct kicked in," Judy Miller said.

Melanie was a medical technician at the Salem Hospital for about 10 years, but has no midwife experience, Scott said.

Out on the highway, the couple had no means to cut the umbilical cord. Scott called 911, and doctors met them in front of the hospital -- the cord was too short to allow his wife to get out of the car.

As soon as someone snipped the cord, mom was rolled into the hospital in a wheelchair and baby was swaddled and placed in her dad's arms.

Dahlia was fine. She and her mother are expected to be released from the hospital today.

Scott Miller said that his wife had wanted a natural birth -- and it certainly worked out that way.

"She said 'the only way it would have been more natural is if you had pulled over, and I had squatted in a cornfield and had the baby,' " Scott said.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hope they had GT Covers and Exact Mats.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it should all clean up... except for the cheap carpet mats.