1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius in the snowy mountain?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius-a-rama, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Prius-a-rama

Prius-a-rama New Member

Last season I took my '06 to go snowboarding in the local SoCal mountains. Other than freaking out when I first saw that "snow/ice road condition" warning icon on the console and pulling over to find out what it means, I made it to the slopes. I was a bit paranoid about driving up the mountains in snow/ice condition, and also don't want to jack up my Prius for those few months in a year when I go boarding almost every other weekend. I ended up borrowing my sisters car all last season. She didn't care about abusing her Matrix and also slapping chains on her tires (I don't want to put any on the Prius). Am I being paranoid about the abuse the Prius might be subjected to in those driving conditions?
    Otherwise, I'm thinking of getting a small SUV (gulp, yeah.. an SUV) just to use as the work-horse during ski season (I'm leaning toward the RAV4 'cause it isn't a monster like the other larger SUVs and I come from a long line of Toyota families).
    What do you guys think about it?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless the the roads are unplowed and inches deep, the Prius should be okay. If you need that extra ground clearance, then by all means get an SUV or even a Subaru Outback.

3. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius-a-rama @ Nov 19 2006, 02:56 PM) [snapback]351764[/snapback]</div>
    For your active outdoor lifestyle, and all terrain needs for your vehicle it is obviously a valid point that you have the right to use/buy your own SUV of whatever kind. I have a 2007 Prius touring, but i also have a 2006 Land Rover LR3 hse... and yes, i dont like gassing it up so much and the effects it has on the world but i cant take a prius on nauset beach,while having 4 dogs and three friends in it. The prius also doesnt suit me when i have to plow my own driveway or driving on roads if needed while we are under 'State of Emergency'. If people are going to dislike you because you need an SUV for your hobbies and what not, then that is ridiculous. It isnt like your commuting to work with it and what not. But are you thinking of getting rid of the prius, or buying a SUV while keeping it...

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    An SUV is entirely justifiable for many situations, such as this. In another year or two i'll probably be buying a boat (and those get even worse mileage!), and an used SUV to tow it with - only used when absolutely needed.

The problem most people here have with the SUV's and trucks are when you see your co-worker pulling into his parking spot every morning, getting out of the SUV solo.

So in short, Prius = every day around town, commuter, and road trip king, SUV = exactly what the name stands for, Sports Utility Vehicle. Used for sports and activities where other modes of transportation aren't practical.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The connotation is that a SUV is a gas guzzler. This is not necessarily so! The anti-Prius gets very good mileage, considering its' size. You could get a Highlander hybrid. ;)

I did get a kick out of the scene in "Over the Hedge" where the group of animals come to a SUV (looked like a Escalade/Navigator). "Wow, that vehicle could carry a lot of animals. How many humans can it carry? (Answer given after pause for thought...) One."

As for your Prius, get yourself four good tires, such as Nokian WR. Chains will not be necessary with these except in the most extreme conditions, as they have the "snow tire" symbol on the sidewall - so will be ok when they say "proper snow tires or chains required from here on". They are all season tires so you will not have to change tires with season. As posted above, the only thing you will then have to worry about is ground clearance in deep snow.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Pound for pound, my F250 diesel does as well as my hybrid Prius. At just about 3x the curb weight, the f250 gets about 1/3 the mileage.

After that, it comes down to whether or not I need to pack that many pounds back and forth to work every day and spend the fuel $ to do it.

7. jtullos

jtullos New Member

We live in ski country here. Snowy mountains every winter. Our Prius has had very few issues with snow and ice, and that's mostly due to the OEM tires not being great. We've switched to HydroEdges now, and we'll see how they handle this winter. But previously, we just threw some chains on when necessary and have had no problems at all from this. As Tideland Prius said, avoid anything with several inches of snow on the road itself, but usually at that point roads start getting closed anyway, so it mostly becomes irrelevant.

Oh, and the OEM tires are technically snow tires (of the all-season variety). They have the appropriate branding and everything, so they're legal when snow tires are required. But just because they're legal doesn't mean they're safe.

8. Rmutzabaugh

Rmutzabaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I think the Prius is Great but at times I NEED MORE POWER. :lol:

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to afford to have each vehicle that you in fact would use. It'd also be nice if the State would let us use one set of plates that we could move from Vehicle to Vehicle much like Dealers plates. And the insurance company would figure their rates by that one set of plates.

It's nice to dream :rolleyes: untill then we have the Prius for back and forth to work and long trips. Then with the money I save on gas by not driving my 4x4 Truck all the time like I use to. I was able to keep it and on ocassions use it for the snow, for hauling and towing. Then maybe down the road I can trade in the truck for a Suburban (cheaper License plates than truck) to pull a dump trailer, so I could haul the family too. License plates for trailers are cheap. The only other way is to RENT. :(

9. Prius-a-rama

Prius-a-rama New Member

All good points. And to answer CapeCodPrius, no way would I trade in the Prius for a Rav. I love the mileage I get when I commute 30 miles each way to and from work. The Prius is my commuter-baby. I just think I need to supplement my activities with a workpony (I'm not in the need for a workhorse with my sports). I'll check into those snow wheels but in SoCal, I could be driving in sunny, dry weather and then go up into the mountains with ice & snow. I don't know what snow tires will be like on regular road conditions. Thanks.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Being built low to the ground, the Prius will not be the best choice in deep snow. However, on ice you probably cannot find a safer vehicle. If your snowboarding takes you on snow-covered roads, then I agree you need a higher car with 4WD or AWD. But if you are on plowed roads and just concerned about safety on ice, then your Prius is the best choice, bar none.

11. Stairman

Stairman New Member

I've driven mine to Mammoth several times, and it's fine. You will need to put chains on a little sooner than you might with other tires. Just drive carefully and know the car's limitations.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If your Prius has VSC, that is a Godsend in snow and ice!!! :wub:
    I tried, but failed to get the car to go out of control in an empty snow and ice covered Tahoe Area ski resort parking lot. I feel much more in control in those conditions in my VSC equipped Prius than in any other car I have driven. :)