1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIUS is starting to piss me off

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by newlifein5, May 7, 2007.

1. newlifein5

newlifein5 New Member

what'z up all.

just got back from another long trip again.

this time another wierd thing happen and was hoping someone can share some insight.

filled up full tank - got 513 miles out of a 9.5 gallon fill up.
    filled up full tank on the way home. got 379 miles out of a 9.5 gallon fill up.

WHAT THE F... JUST HAPPENED? I LOST ABOUT 130 MILES.

SAME ROAD N ROUTE
    SAME DRIVING TECHNIQUE
    SAME CAR N DRIVER
    SAME GRADE OF GAS - REGULAR 87

only difference is a 10 degree in outside temp drop.
    and pumped gas 2nd time at a different gas station. which both were shell.
    neither difference should have made a 130 mile lost.

EACH TIME I DRIVE THIS PRIUS I STARTS TO HATE IT MORE AND MORE

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newlifein5 @ May 7 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]436937[/snapback]</div>
    That's your answer. Last month was in the 40s here, and I got about 41 MPG on a two-hour-each-way run. The month before was in the 30s, and I got about 38 MPG on the exact same route. Yesterday was in the 50s and I got 45 MPG on the exact same route. As the temperature drops, so does the MPG.

3. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the first thing that comes to mind would be the elevation that you're traveling. Uphill vs. downhill scenario.... headed downhill one way, uphill the other...

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You said it was a long trip...so the only difference wasn't the outside temp, it was the direction of travel (with wind one way against the other?), elevation change (down hill outgoing and uphill coming home?).
    What was the mpg on the display each time?
    Using calculated mpg based upon the amount of fuel the car takes is frought with error.
    The MFD is a much better tank to tank assesment of your FE.
    Also, did you check your tire pressure?
    Could you have a low tire?
    Were you carrying any extra weight in the car coming home?
    Were the roads wet?
    Was there more traffic?
    And, finally, what would make you 'hate' the car just b/c you're experiencing differences in FE that you don't yet understand? It takes time, there are a ton of variables and, esp. on freeway travel, those variables can have dramatic impacts on FE...or relatively so. Be patient young Padiwan....all will be clear to you soon enough.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newlifein5 @ May 7 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]436937[/snapback]</div>
    Don't be a hater. 379 mi on 9.5 gal is 39.9 mpg. Name some other cars that get 39.9 mpg combined.

I think that what happened is that the fills were inconsistant because of the differences in how the pump shut off. It has happened to me a couple of times. Averaging the mpg from 3 or 4 fills gives me about the same as the MFD mpg even though some of the individual fills are way off.

6. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rxmxsh @ May 7 2007, 01:35 PM) [snapback]436945[/snapback]</div>
    Do not calculate the mileage--use the screen. There must be 100 threads complaining about the variable size of the bladder inside the gas tank. The tank size depends on the time of the day, temperatue, moon position, greek symbol, sun spots, etc......... :lol:

7. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You didn't say what the indicated MPG was on each tank. The fuel bladder in this car is notorious for giving inconsistent fills when fueling up. You probably had less gas on the second tank, and that combined with the cooler temps reduced your range.

This is the first car I've ever owned where I've given up calculating MPG at each fill-up. I did that for a couple months and the inconsistent fills would give me numbers all over the place. Instead I'm keeping track of all gas used and using that to figure out my overall avg. MPG (it's 45.3 btw).

8. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newlifein5 @ May 7 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]436937[/snapback]</div>
    As others have told you before, calculating MPG in the Prius off the amount you put in the tank won't give you accurate numbers. The gas tank varies in size due to temperature. If you choose to ignore that info and then get "frustated" with your mileage, the error lies in you, not the car.

If you want to understand why and see what the gas bladder looks like, try reading this thread:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=419197

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people just like to bi$%^ and complain......

10. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newlifein5 @ May 7 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]436937[/snapback]</div>
    Then you should definitely sell it. No car is worth this amount of frustration.

What will you replace it with?

11. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

well I had a similar thing happen yesterday driving 2 hours on a trip. The weather down was great, I averaged 53mpg it was in the 60's
    Leaving at night however, it was raining and snowing and wow did the viability and weather suck. the temp drooped down to 34 to 32 and obviously with the heat on and the resistance from the slush on the road the mileage dropped to an over all 46mpg.

Its ok, once it stopped raining and I was on dry pavement I made my mileage up by slowing down and was able to get the over all back up to 51mpg.

sometimes the climate control can have a big impact. did you maybe have the heater on and not realize it? AC?

Also, just because two gas stations have the same gas does not always mean its the same gas quality. gas expands in heat, did you fill up in the morning or afternoon?

Also did you fill it too the click or did you overfill sometimes? under fill? Was the pump the same type of pump? some pumps are older.

Parking break on? that always has a negative effect on mileage. also cargo and dont forget
    WIND! a cross wind can screw you up pretty bad too. windy days are the worst unless you get a tail wind.

12. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In my commute from Oxnard to Northrdige, I get about 48 MPG.
    The return trip, I get about 52 MPG. The 4 MPG difference is small but pretty consistant, and the only real difference in my case is the terrain; I think the trip must go uphill from home to Northridge. Speeds are the same, about 65 MPG, and temperature is (if anything) a little cooler on the return, since I tend to return in evening, after sunset.

13. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    and check the stickers on the gas pumps -
    sometimes there is alcohol mixed in (gasahol) ; sometimes there is not. that has an impact on mileage.

as mentioned above, the fuel tank is not fixed capacity - it is variable in size. that is just the way its built; we need to get used to that, and its effects.

look at your computed mileage over say 10 tanks to get a better overall idea ot whats happening.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oxnardprof @ May 7 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]437120[/snapback]</div>
    oxnardprof + Northridge = CSUN ?

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ May 7 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]436987[/snapback]</div>
    Due to the well known inconsistency in filling the tank, choosing to calculate mileage from only one tank of gas WILL lead to frustration.

Doing so makes as much sense as trying to calculate the average monthly temperature with just one temperature reading per day.

More date points are needed.

Calculations using ten fill-ups will give you a tenfold better chance of arriving at a commonsensical answer to your question.

Otherwise, just use the MDF mileage for day to day indications. The MDF calculations don't care if you filled the tank with five gallons or fifteen. ;)

16. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We all have variances in our milage depending on the wind, temperature, need to pass people, conditional tank size etc.

Do you like the car?

17. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    plan on responding to any of these posts?

18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Guess not.

19. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Boy I love when people do that.... ::Sarcasm::

20. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid