1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Issues... Being a geek (and a new Prius owner), what do I need?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by soulbluprint, Jul 13, 2012.

1. soulbluprint

soulbluprint New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok... So I bought a used 2006 Prius (125k miles) back in April, and pretty much right as I got home with it, I noticed some things (listed below). Being a web/IT geek, the most I've ever done for my cars has been replacing the washer fluid, air filters, spark plugs, and regular headlights. I have NO idea where to start with a Prius. Being very interested in the ability to do/fix certain things, there are a few basics I'd like to know... For example, what kind of jack do I need (and how many?), basic tools needed? Those kinds of things. Again, I'm sure most of you are rolling your eyes at this. However, I want to learn! Nothing wrong with asking... I need to start somewhere. :)

Known issues:

• The passenger side HID light keeps going out. I bought replacements, but I heard it's a huge ordeal just to replace the HIDs. Any suggestions?
    • I continue to hear rattling when I'm driving, like something is loose (driver's side only). When stopped, I don't hear it, which brings me to the next issue...
    • The dreaded red triangle with the "automatic headlight leveling" lights have now appeared, and it sounds like the system keeps trying to adjust them. This could be why I've been hearing all the rattling on that side - who knows? I hear fixing this sensor is either going to be time consuming to fix myself, incredibly expensive, or both. Either way, I just want to be able to take my rear tire off and LOOK to see what's going on! Kind of why I need to know the absolute basics needed to do something like this.
    Speaking of the HIDs, has anyone ever replaced their whole HID system back to normal headlights (is it even possible?)? Don't get me wrong - they are pretty nice... When they work. Just seems like the HIDs are just more of a pain.
    I guess that's all for now. I do appreciate anyone's help/suggestions/etc! :)

Mr Incredible likes this.
  2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome aboard! It always good to see someone take up the wrenches.

First things, tools. Here's mininum to get by. More sets of sockets and wrenches are good. 12pt/6pt, long/short handles, lots of socket extensions and adaptors.
    -2 ton hydraulic jack. 3 ton is better.
    -pair of jackstands, 3 ton rated are good
    -deepwell and standard metric sockets and set metric wrenches.
    -Oil filter wrench or filter cap socket.
    -oil drain pan. 6-8 qt minimum
    -5gal metal bucket w/spout for oil and tranny fluid collection and recycling
    -torque wrench to 100ft lbs
    -breaker bar
    -Chiltons Prius Repair manual
    -latex gloves
    -lots of paper towels
    -funnel for oil fills
    -a 4-way lug wrench helps at tire rotation time. I believe the lugnuts are 21mm.
    -set of metric hex head sockets for tranny drain
    -set of metric sockets above 19mm. I think the tranny fill is 24mm, but can't remember right off hand.

Sorry I can't assist with your lights. I have not had any trouble with ours.

3. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There should be instructions in the manual for how to replace the HID bulbs.

As far as rattles / squeaks go, you can drive yourself crazy trying to track them all down and try different methods of reinforcement / support, or you can just turn up the stereo.

My 2004 had lots of rattles that would come and go. If I turned up the stereo they no longer bothered me. ;)

Sorry, I can't help with the auto leveling error.

new iPad ?

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The headlight leveling sensor can be repaired (sometimes). If you're lucky, you'll be able to.

If you don't mind spending $300 you can correct it for good (or at least five years or so).

My headlight leveling sensor repair is still holding up (for now). I hate looking at that
    overly large red triangle.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is NOT in the manual. The only instructions are on how to replace the halogens. It literally says:

:rolleyes:

A ton of us here, including myself have done it ourselves. Some people (not me) are able to get it done much more easily than others/are lucky. I was unlucky when I did mine where the clip came off and I couldn't get the washer tank out so that I could see well enough to put the clip back on. Ended up having to pop the front bumper cover off. :(

Although I don't have a great set of links, the videos and links at can't remove washer fluid tank, trying to replace passenger side HID | PriusChat should help.

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the appropriate Gen II forum from the Prius v forum.