1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius IV vs Prius V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by gail54, Dec 25, 2009.

1. gail54

gail54 Gail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Merry Xmas!

Well I thought my only decision to make now was color silver vs blue--I was set on Prius IV w solar --now after reading about "handling" I am thinking I should give the Prius V a closer look and what other features make the V more appealing and is it enough to give up the sun.
    Please give me your opinion on IV vs V ---if you looked at both closely and why you chose what you did. Thank u

2. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can only comment on the Prius IV with Solar. The car has lots of ammenities and absolutely very fun to drive. The IV is built solid and reliable. I am not sure what you are looking for as far as Handling on a IV and compared to a V. IMO, IV and V would handle almost the same. Have fun shopping and Merry X-Mas.

3. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought the IV with because I wanted the sun roof. If i didnt care about having the sun roof i might have gone for the V, but maybe not because the ride is harsher on the V with the low profile tires that are required with the larger 17" standard wheels. dont get me wrong I like the looks of the bigger wheels. Also the V has other optional features you can order that you can't get on the IV like radar cruise, lane keep assist and parking assist, it depends on if you want those or the solar roof for example. I just dont need those features personally but do know i will use the sun roof, i like driving wit it cracked open to promote air flow at times when I don't need the AC and I like the fact that the solar feature will cool the interior when it is sunny and hot outside and i have to leave the car down town locked up. Also the remote ac is nice to add a touch of cooling before you even open the door. No more i can fry an egg on the seats in that situation.

So there is a lot to consider. Oh i forgot to mention, the 17" wheels come with two disadvantages, 1. they reduce your fuel efficiency you can search for that number here, some say 2-3 MPG, 2. replacing those tires will also cost you a lot more than the 15" Low profile tires are quite a bit higher in cost, almost double.

Again for me I like the V but I wanted the ability to have the open roof at times more than the other features offered by the V. I have a moon roof on my other car and i missed it on my 07 Prius.

1 person likes this.
  4. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It was between the IV and the V for us because I was not going to buy a Prius without the leather seats, and it primarily came down to the sun roof or the 17's + LED headlamps + fogs. We had a sun roof on our car we traded in, a Benz C280, as well as our other guzzler we currently still own, an '04 GMC Yukon that we own primarily for hauling our RV and when we need to take more "stuff" with us like on backpacking trips, kayaking trips, and other fun stuff.

I find that even when we have the sun roof, we don't use it as much as one would think, even here in the Arizona mountains where we have a lot of sun. The kids in the back seat complain about the bright sun in their eyes when it's open. We take short trips in town a lot and find that we don't want to leave it open when we park for a short stop, so it's constantly opened and closed. Don't get me wrong, it's really nice to have when we want it and use it, but I think, based on my experience, that it is a bit over rated, even for me here in Arizona. Furthermore, if you are driving at highway speeds, the noise and wind of the open roof definitely creates driving conditions that are less than perfect, and we find that we would close up the roof all or most of the way when we hit an on-ramp.

Now, for the V, I really fell in love with the look of the 17's. The standard 15's, even with the caps (which I hate the look of) off are not to my taste, and if I were to upgrade the standard wheels to something aftermarket, that would be additional expense beyond the car purchase price. Also, after reading a lot on here, the differences between the steering ratio and the steering motor between the IV and V were enough to make me concerned about whether I would even want to put aftermarket 17's on a IV for fear of putting additional strain on the system. The reviews and my own test driving convinced me that the package V from the factory is a good setup from a handling standpoint and that was worth the extra funds.

The LED headlamps are another sweet cool-factor that I am glad I went with. And after reading about the large number of owners on here that want to add aftermarket fog lamps at an additional expense and hassle (with a non-factory switch), as well as dealing with fitment, I am glad I don't have to worry about that either and it's all covered under warranty. I am not a heavy fog-lamp user, but they definitely add to the look of the car's front end.

I avoided the Advanced Technology package and went with just the Nav on the V. I suppose that if the dealer had a V without Nav in the color I wanted, I would have given that some consideration, but I do like the backup camera and the on-screen audio control for the JBL that the Nav gives, even with the poor quality Nav so well-documented here on Prius Chat. The AT items sound nice, but I really don't think I would have used them much and the expense was quite a bit, at least to me.

So, that's my experience in a nutshell. I have not regretted going with the V and missing out on the sunroof, nor do I think I will. If I really want a sunroof, I can use the one in our other vehicle, but am not very likely to do so.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Rising Sun has all my sentiments and commentary..so couldn't have said it better!

:)

Good Luck in your decision.

1 person likes this.
  6. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Who needs parking assist and radar cruise? I sure don't. One of the main reasons I bought the Prius was to achieve stellar gas mileage. The 17" wheels/tires will detract from that and cost a lot more to replace. The ride with them IMO was not as smooth. The look of the car with the 17"-ers? Well, let's say I didn't buy the Prius for its looks. That, plus I'm a sun-roof kind of guy made the decision easy for ME. In Spring and Fall when not too hot out, the ventilation it gives is great. In winter when sunny but cool, the warmth and light it brings is priceless. In Summer, I appreciate the extra technology the solar ventilation gives, and it works well.

7. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The above posters have pretty well covered everything I'd like to say, with the exception of you would want to consider how many months/days you'd use a Solar Sunroof in Ma., and N3FOL stated he thought the IV and V would drive the same, this is incorrect, the V uses a different steering motor, has low profile tires and has European tuned suspension, true with the low profile tires it rides marginally stiffer, but the steering is quicker and gives significantly more feedback to the driver.

You will, however, be more than PLEASED with either a IV or V, after all, they're the same car, just set up and tuned slightly differently!

Happy Priusing!

David (aka Blind Guy)

8. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I agree. I guess I'm a purist. Toyota engineers tweeked the Prius in many tiny ways to achieve the best milage. Why detract from that, even if the milage hit doesn't add up to much cost?

One thing that isn't taliked about much is noise from low profile tires. My previous car was a Scion tC that has 17" wheels/tires that are often used as a low cost way to go to 17" on the Prius. Cabin noise was high, even when I replaced the tires with ones that were rated as relatively quiet. I haven't heard any comparisons of interior noise in the Prius IV and V, So I don't know how noticible it would be.

Despite my purist statement above, I love the luxury touches of the IV and V: heated leather seats with power lumbar, 3 door smart key, even the interior lighting coming on as you approach the car. I don't care about the sunroof and definately didn't want the nav. I think both are overpriced but that's in the eye of the beholder.

Either way, enjoy your Prius!

9. nparker13

nparker13 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It very much depends on what you're looking for in the car. For me, the solar panel didnt seem to make a lot of sense (defeats the purpose of the SKS wireless key, which is one of my favorite features). I love my LKA and Radar Cruise on long drives, and think its worth every penny. I am also one of those that appreciates the parking assist, and I do use it 80% of the time. Do I need it? probably not, but I enjoy it and actually use it. As for the 17" rims, I love how they look, and think it drives much better than the PII I test drove. I have no issues with the noise. Either way, you're getting an excellent car with great fuel economy and you'll be happy.

10. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't think you understand how the solar panel works, as it does not interfere with the SKS wireless key at all. The SKS works just fine and the solar panel runs or doesn't run independently of the SKS system, you set it inside the car with the on dash switch. The remote Air conditioning uses the fob if you want ot use it, but again it still does not interfere or tie in to the SKS wireless key in any way. The wireless key still does its job.

Also in the northern states where many say the solar roof isn't worth much to you is exactly the opposite to my experience. The sun roof part is really what i was after here in Ohio. In the spring and fall and even in the summer you often do not need AC when you can open the sun roof. And while some say they are noisy, i say they don't have to be if you tilt them up instead of opening them back all the way. Tilted forward they give good ventilation and air flow with very little noise and no sun in any ones eyes. I very rarely open mine back I tilt it up for quiet flow through ventilation

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IV or V? I would say for any purchaser it just depends on what you want, what priorities are important. Toyota admittedly "split" the top of the line with Prius with the V being the only Prius getting the Technology Package and the III and IV being the only ones able to get Solar Package, and the IV being the only one with leather to get the Solar Package.

There are handling and feel differences between the IV and the V. The V has bigger wheels and a different steering ratio. Some people like it a whole lot better, some like the smaller wheels better. You'll just have to try it out yourself.

It has caused some debates in other threads, but before release of the 2010 Toyota's own engineer admitted that the larger wheels on the V would lead to a slight, slight hit on mileage. Prius V owners can chime in, but there might be a slight MPG advantage to the smaller wheels.

You haven't purchased yet, so the key is just to try everything out. I'd suspect if your first instinct was to want the Sunroof and The Solar Package then you'll end up in a IV. But who knows? The V has some goodies limited only to itself. Personally, while "nice" the extra bells and whistles included within the Tech Package aren't worth it to me, but that's just me. I can see where the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control would be nice for long drives...I'd like that. It's all really a personal choice. I have found that any criticism of V with Tech Package usually brings V owners with Tech Package, out in force defending the bells and whistles. So I'd just say is Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Pre-Collision System, Lane Keep Assist, and Intelligent Parking Assist worth the extra cash to you? Is it worth it at the additional "cost" of not getting a sunroof and solar package? Because you can't have both. For me, it's almost a no-brainer, while I really like the Radar Cruise Control, and I think the Pre-Collision System is potentially a great safety feature, The LKS and IPA I really don't want...I'd pay to not have. I don't want a computer "nudging" my steering wheel. And I'll parallel park myself.

So after droning on and on it boils down to what you want.

What I don't understand is locally so many Toyota dealers seem to have a big stock of IV's without solar package and V's without Tech Package. I don't really get that. Yes, there are a few things such as leather, heated seats, fog lamps...but IMO the Prius in general is so well equipped from a base level II, III...that I wonder why anyone would get a IV without a solar package? This is entirely my personal opinion, but I wouldn't bother getting a IV or V if I didn't want the respective upgrade packages of either the Solar Package or The Tech Package.

I go back and forth between wanting a IV with Solar Package, or just going with a nice III.

12. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The sun roof is nice but I have had it in all my cars. My wife and I use it for five minutes and have to close it because the sun is too hot or whatever. close it pull the shade and forget it. The air conditioner work just fine. I expecially like the one sided sun tans :)
    One the V you get the LED self adjusting head lamps, Fog light Head lamp washers, 17" rims with a beefy suspension. Drive into a corner with a V and try a IV...caution be careful. There is a very measureable difference. Ride, The V is better on the highway and is sure footed with the 17"s.
    I do not miss the sun roof. If you want the sun, stop and rest and enjoy the scenery.
    I love the LED head lights. They are very white and bright, self adjusting and are better in my opinon than HID. They make night driving much more relaxing because I can see where the heck I'm going I have two cars with the HIDs and I think you will agree, the LED are better. REMEMBER always drive whatever car you are planing to buy at night. You will see how the headlights work instrumentation etc. I turned down a Mercedes a few years back after I drove it a night. ( If possible, Rent the car you plan to buy and keep it for a day or two. You will get 99% of your questions answered. It will put you in the ball park as to is this the car that I want to live with for a few years. Spend some time with the V and you may agree on these points.
    Good luck!
    j
    Great options and handling, great looking rims and that 17" ride.
    best mileage 58.8 at 110 miles. I don't think the trade off is that bad for the 17"s

13. nparker13

nparker13 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I dont have it, so my understanding may not be fully complete, however I'd think that if you're leaving the car for an entire day at work, I'm not sure that I'd want the car working all day (or on and off all day) to keep it cool. That being said, if I have to reach for my keyfob and trigger the A/C, then thats where I'd think it would defeat the purpose of the SKS (having to take the key out and pressing a button on it). Also if you do that, how much cooling can be done within the distance the key actually works and the time it takes you to walk that?

Anyway, I dont want to start a flame war. You can tell the direction and view point of each of our opinions based on the model that we have (and have the most experience with) under our username on the left. Obviously I own a V with ATP, and I like it, so I will defend it because to me, its worth the cost. Someone else who has a IV with solar most likely will defend their choice and doubtly will see the value of the ATP with the V (otherwise they probably would have gotten it). Again, these are generalizations, but the bottom line is that be bought our cars with different priorities, desires, and budgets, and our ownership and use of the car we bought will likely shape our opinion and sway us based on what we know best. Just keep that in mind when reading this and every other post.

14. gail54

gail54 Gail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thank you very much!~ merry xmass to you also

15. mjrauma

mjrauma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have had a IV for six months now and if someone offered to trade me a V, same age/mileage, even up, I would not do it. While I don't use the sunroof all that much, if it is not there, (a V), then you do not have the option. Plus the sunroof would be a neat escape hatch if you go off in a river:/ Oh, and merry christmas too.

Mike

16. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey no flame war here, i am just saying the SKS still does its job to open the doors, solar roof running or not. That is all the SKS is for to unlock and start the car with the fob in your pocket. And as far as leaving the solar fan system on all day if need be, that is what it was designed to do. Do you turn off the furnace in your house because you don't want it to cycle all day while you are at work?

As for pushing the button for the remote AC defeating the value of the SKS, well you will only be using the remote A/C a small part of the year. When it is super hot out, the combination of the solar powered fan system partially cooling the inside and then the short burst of AC just before you enter the car makes a big difference in the blazing summer heat. If that is not worth removing it from your pocket to push the A/C button because it defeats the purpose of the SKS, well then i don't know what what to say about that. To each his own I guess.

17. gail54

gail54 Gail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I never would have have thought of that river trick lol .. Your funny - My decision is swaying towards the iv now- I think i'll call it the Houdini car:)

18. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    European regulations required Toyota to submit two fuel economy/emissions test results. For 15" wheels, Combined fuel consumption, 3.9 L/100km; CO2, 89 g/km. 17" wheels, fuel consumption 4.0 L/100km; CO2, 92 g/km.

Using fuel consumption, about 2.6% more fuel consumed; using CO2, 3.4% more emitted. The true figure is probably somewhere between those due to the rounding of the numbers (fuel consumption is reported to the nearest 0.1 L/100km, CO2 to nearest 1 g/km). Say about 3%.

19. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    comment deleted

20. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just bought my Prius V. For me I like the looks of the headlights, fog lights, 17" rims, etc. I have a sunroof on my truck and camry and I really don't use it. I love the car and look forward to driving it for a long time.