1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius jump start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by damando, Mar 4, 2018.

1. damando

damando New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I have replaced the 12 volt battery that is in the back this past summer and everything has been ok, however just tonight I had to jump start her prius again. Has anyone ever had a similar problem before with the 12 volt battery not charging ? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

#1 damando, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2018
  2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What type of battery was the new replacement?
    Was this new replacement fully charged, prior to installation?
    Do you listen to the radio in ACC mode for prolonged periods?
    How many miles do you typically diver per day/week?
    Did you leave any interior lights on: map light, dome lights?
    Are there any aftermarket accessories that can cause a drain? ie alarm
    Did you convert one of the cigarette lighters to always ON, and do you charge a mobile device this way, when the car is OFF?

Do you have DVM (Digital Volt Meter)?
    You can quickly eliminate the 12V bus not recharging the 12V battery. Make Prius READY. You should see 14+V at the battery terminal.​

LEARN how to read the 12V battery State of Charge (SOC) and invest in a battery charger.
    Easy way to apply a load for a more meaningful reading of 12V battery SOC.
    Is my inverter coolant pump slowly failing? | PriusChat
    Post #5) How to apply a load.
    Post #8) State of Charge chart, AGM compatible battery chargers.​

The replacement battery might just be defective too.

SFO likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many hours a week do you drive your vehicle, and does it have the SKS feature?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. OnGrace

OnGrace New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Exstudent, in post #2, you refer to converting one of the cigarette lighter to "always on". Does that mean keeping a usb charger installed in it? I've had to jump 2007 Prius 3 times in the last week. I took it into a auto place that said it was just a loose battery connector and that the 12V battery was fine, but it has died twice since then.

The lights go on, but not the ones below the headlights. The 3-door smart key system works intermittently.

When I've gone to start it and it doesn't go on, there are no warning lights or check engine lights.

I have owned the car for about 3 months. Could this be a symptom of hybrid battery failure? Other than going to a dealership, is there anything I can troubleshoot? I have the time, and the auto place - unless I can get the car to die while I'm there - will not be of much help.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If your 12v died three times in a week it's ded, google 12v prius batteries, the dealer is expensive, optima make one that fits, after you get one trickle charge it at 2 amps overnight, and after you install a new 12v get it to either a good parts store or a dealer for an obd2 read to see if there's anything else going on, for example a 12year old traction battery, they are now 1600$ new, but then you will get years of like new mpg's, 12v battery symptoms are always weird, traction battery symptoms are poor mpg's.

6. OnGrace

OnGrace New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just put in new 12v battery. Seems good so far. Next step - to auto parts store for reading. Thanks.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes. Some people wire the cigarette lighter to be always on, so a phone/tablet/etc can be charged with the car OFF.

Make sure the positive clamp is tight. Also the negative clamp at both ends: negative terminal and body. And, both terminals have no corrosion; which will most likely be the case.

Your Prius has SKS, avoid Opitma.
    Optima's are 38Amp Hr battery; $238 at PepBoys.
    Your SKS Prius came standard with a 45Amp Hr battery.​

A good deal is the Bosch AGM Prius replacement battery; $143 at Pepboys. Same 45Amp Hr rating, exact physical fit, (pretty sure) JIS terminals, vent tube hole, 4 year non-prorated warranty.
    Car Batteries | Auto Batteries For Trucks & SUV's | Pep Boys

You might be able to get your local Toyota dealer to come down considerably by price shopping various dealers, seeing if they have any online parts/battery coupon(s), or seeing if they will match online Toyota dealer parts price.

Is my inverter coolant pump slowly failing? | PriusChat
    Post #5 - How to apply a load for reading 12V battery SOC
    Post #8 - Some AGM compatible Smart battery chargers​

8. OnGrace

OnGrace New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ended up using the Super Start Platinum at O'Reilly, but will keep in mind Pepboys for the future.

I noticed you posted on the thread I started, so I will continue writing there.

Thank you for your help.

Raytheeagle likes this.