1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius jumping a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tadashi, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to jump the wife's prius. I did it earlier doing the standard procedure but after reading the boards I should avoid that. I did not rev the engine at least. It started and I drove it around for 5 min but then shut it down. From reading the other threads I should have left it on for 30 min and let the computer figure it out. It seems I should trickle charge instead.

The question is can I do this from the two + terminals and ground the - to metal or do I still have to connect to the - terminal on the jumper car.

I want to avoid making two dead batteries. Should I also keep the jumper prius to keep the battery charged?

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have no direct experience with your situation, so this is just a logical answer.

Power is power. A + to + and metal - to - will mean the cars are electrically parallel, and since you don't need amps to crank, connecting under the hood should work fine. Since the + terminals under the hood are connected directly to the + side of the 12V batteries and the - side is always connected to the chassis, as soon as you make the connection the battery with the greater charge will start filling the battery with the lower charge. To avoid depleting the good battery, you could put that car in Ready so its 12V battery will be automatically filled as power is drained by the other car. Now the "dead" car can be started to Ready and it's HV battery can start charging its 12V battery and you can disconnect the cars.

I think the prohibition against using a Prius to start another car assumes the other car is a conventional one needing lots of amps to crank and start, which could damage the wiring and 12V battery of a Prius. I can't imagine much danger in one Prius jumping another.

3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 10 2007, 10:44 PM) [snapback]476632[/snapback]</div>
    I can't imagine much danger in one Prius jumping another.

The only thing I can see happening is with all the prii jumping each other is an abundant supply of prii ( like the saying goes f&*#ing like rabbits) :D But no problem should be from that.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There should be no problem. I would personally leave the doner Prius off to avoid any charging system arguments, but other than that:

1. Connect cable +ve on dead car (fusebox).
    2. Connect cable +ve on doner car (fusebox).
    3. Connect cable -ve on dead car (bolt above fusebox).
    4. Connect cable -ve on doner car (bolt above fusebox).

Press brake and "On" on dead car. Allow to sit for 10 seconds to a minute to allow the system to stabilize (HSD system will charge both batteries and eventually engine will start).

Disconnect in reverse order, ie 4, 3, 2, 1. Leave "dead" car on for a few hours to fully charge the battery. There will be no effect on the doner car (ie battery will not be drained).

DO NOT short jumper cables. DO NOT reverse connect jumper cables.

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I saw the title I was thinking that someone was asking how to "jump" a Prius Evil Kinevil style.

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It worked. I went though the back trunk to get to the battery's neg terminal (like in the manual). I was not sure if connecting to the metal next to the fuse box on both cars would be okay. Let it sit for 30 min. Then disconnected everything before stating the dead car. It started. I just hope it can keep the charge. Will the battery going dead mess it up?

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jul 11 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]476937[/snapback]</div>
    Just once probably no damage, but it wouldn't hurt to hook up an automatic battery charger right at the battery. There is a lot of hand-wringing here about only using a trickle charger, but even Toyota recommends their fancy-schmancy 10 amp automatic charger, made by Associated.

I'll attach the tsb and also a couple of photos of my Prius battery that I took awhile back for the thread on battery tenders. That red plastic cover is a bear to get off, at least mine was. I leave the VDC Battery Minder plugged in whenever the car is parked at the condo, and have had no issues

Attached Files:

8. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

I've followed the manual's steps as listed by David Beale close to 10 times to jump other cars (mostly my daughter's '01 and my wife's old Saturn) with no problems. The recommended posts under the hood are much more convenient than digging out the battery terminals.

The '01 has gone completely dead 4-5 times and keeps testing out fine in the shop once it's charged. I think they use their Prius Charger on it before they test, to avoid unnecessarily replacing batteries that are still ok.

The Saturn had a big ol' V6 engine with all the fixin's, it was enough to strain the '01 a little but the 'o5 & '06 have never seemed to have any trouble.

Cheers,
    Bob

9. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I cannot see what advantage there is to connecting to the battery in the rear instead of the front when you are talking about a small trickle charge.

10. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only used the rear battery spot for the jumper. The dead prius I jumped from the front. I was not sure about the negative post or a bolt on the front chasis was okay.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Jul 11 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]476882[/snapback]</div>
    Me too! Was looking forward to a youtube address showing maby a firey hoop and hay bales :p

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Jul 12 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]477488[/snapback]</div>
    I thought he was taking his Prius obsession to a new, unhealthy level. :blink: Well, as long as it's an adult, consenting Prius... :rolleyes:

Tom