1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Key and Immo

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FlotsamRefuge, Aug 1, 2022.

1. FlotsamRefuge

FlotsamRefuge New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a weird one here. So, I bought a 2006 Prius about a week ago. It came with one key (Smart silver key) and a generic non-similar fob for remote entry. Buttons on the original fob do not work, and I replaced the battery. Twice. I figured it was some issue where the SKS was not programmed, so I got techstream and my vxdiag and couldn't get the re-seed to work to repair the key. Figured it was a technical issue on my end UNTIL.... I used the wrong key (another car/year/non-sks) in the ignition and it worked.

The car will work with any prius fob inserted into the dash.

Does anyone have any insight (hybrid pun) as to what is going on here? Clearly hands have been in and around this before me.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe your reseed process wiped out the memory and that's why any key would suddenly work in the dash?

3. FlotsamRefuge

FlotsamRefuge New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: It's a viper car alarm remote. Could not tell as all markings are rubbed off. I'm guessing they have bypassed the whole toyota security system since none of it works. Guessing my next move is to remove it.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the alarm had a remote start function, then there is some kind of electronics to "bypass" the immobilizer system.

If you remove the alarm, be sure to take care around where the add-on wiring is spliced in and repair any cut circuits. Don't want to end up with a no start condition.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Are you guys saying you need to stick your key fob in the slot in the dash to start and run the car in these cars I haven't had my remote in the slot in months it's usually laying on the seat on the floor maybe in the glove box sometimes in my pocket. I thought the slot was just an amplifier to amplify the signal of the remote or some kind of nonsense when it's stuck in there?

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The car will work with any Prius key fob stuck in your dash and where is the key fob that you think is not working when you're doing this in the car with the other viper fob and the non SKS fob that you have from another Prius all at the same time in the car? I thought your remote just had to be with you? It does not have to be in the slot for you to drive and run the car correct? Even in my 09 I haven't had the slot for the fob to be pushed into installed in the car for months it's laying on the floor in the shop The wires and plugs are hanging where the slot plugs in it's just an amplifier that's what it says on the back of it so I never put the key in it it's usually where I've said it is. So now I'm confused. In my 05 it was the same The key could just be laying on the seat wherever car would start when I push the button if the remote was in the house and I was out in the '05 or the '09 pushing the button nothing happens I have to get that remote within what is it 12 ft of the car before anything goes on.

7. FlotsamRefuge

FlotsamRefuge New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car will work with any Prius fob in the dash, and without any other fob in the car. The issue is the Viper system. It has an immobiliser bypass module installed. The work was so cleanly done, I didn't notice anything when looking under the dash. I'm diving into it now to see what my best option is.

8. FlotsamRefuge

FlotsamRefuge New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I resolved the issue I believe. It was not a viper system, it just had a remote that looked identical to the 4105V model. I disconnected the battery and removed the system from the area under the kick panel on the bottom left driver's footwell. I then had to do an ECU communication ID Registration, for whatever reason. I know have full access to the communications to reseed the remote. I'm also now the proud owner of one more ECU reader/writer. I'll add it to the box and remind myslef to only buy vehicles compatible with what I currently have on hand, haha.

Hopefully if someone else has this issue, they'll find this thread. Cheers!

SFO and mr_guy_mann like this.