1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius key in carry on luggage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ew1445, Nov 8, 2006.

1. ew1445

ew1445 New Member

Hi all,

I've been reading threads here since we got our Prius in July, finally decided to sign up and post a question.... though a little off topic.

We are flying later this month, and I seem to recall that the TSA is not allowing remote key fobs in carry on luggage any more. Packing the Prius key in a suitcase that has a fair chance of getting lost doesn't seem like a hot idea either. We could take "the other car", but it's a two hour drive and we enjoy the drive and fuel economy of our little red Prius.

Anyone have any recent experience taking their key in carry on luggage?

Thanks

Jim

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've traveled recently by air and multiple times in the 3 years I've had my Prius, I always put my fob in my laptop bag or in a coat pocket for security check and have never had a question about it.

If any doubt check the TSA web site and call the airports you'll be flying from.

3. narussian

narussian New Member

I don't think I have flown TSA, but I have flown many times with my key FOB in my purse and jacket pocket without hearing a peep out of anyone about it.

maybe TSA is different. It would be strange to be so strict on key FOBs, there are not many cars these days without them. That would leave many many people with a big problem come travel time.

Good luck, I will be curious to hear what you ind out from TSA.

4. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I flew 2 weeks ago. Had the fob in my pocket and I put it on the belt to be scanned, along with my loose change, etc. The procedure for this was exactly the same as it has been for years. It went through the scanner without any problems or questions. I put it back in my pocket , retrieved my shoes and small bag of carry on liquids and away I went. The fob caused no problems at all

By the way TSA is not an airline, it's the Transportation Security Administration

5. fphinney

fphinney Member

Been there - - Done that!

[​IMG]

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I travled with the fop in my luggage post 9/11 no problem as yet. Just put it in the carry on. Good to go. Well today that is!

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Nov 8 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]346069[/snapback]</div>
    I am sure that you are right in this context, but TSA also stands for Trans States Airlines which operates as AmericanConnection, United Express and US Airways Express.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/pro...ited-items.shtm

The "official" list of permitted and prohibited items from the TSA website. I'm a bit too lazy to read the whole thing, but i let Firefox search the page for me - for "key" all it found was "hoKEY stick" (prohibited), and nothing for fob.

i also took a trip 2 weekends ago with the fob stuck in my carry on bag without a problem.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I flew most recently, internationally, just last month. I have my key fob in my pocket and I put it in the plastic bowl along with my change and pocket watch, where it goes through the security (x-ray?) machine.

I've never had any problem.

FWIW they now allow nail clippers as well, but prescription medicines (maybe only if they're liquid?) must be placed, all together, in a one-quart zip-lock plastic bag, for easier inspection, and I think they want you to take that bag out of your carry-on luggage when it goes through the x-ray machine.

10. ew1445

ew1445 New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel better now taking the Prius to the airport. If I encounter any problems I'll post again after I get back.