1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIUS KEY POPPED OUT OF SLOT !!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cattaraugus, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Cattaraugus

Cattaraugus New Member

A strange thing happened with my 2006 Prius - It's a SUPER cold morning...about 1 degree outside...I jump in the car, put the key in, push the button, and turn the heater full blast - I go inside for about 15 minutes, come outside, open the door, and the Prius key is sitting on the driver's seat....but the car was still on....

What happened?? Is this normal?? Has this happened to anyone else?? I took the key, push it back in the slot, and it locked into place...

All I can think is that I didn't push the key all the way for it to lock into place...and then it just happened to pop out from the spring that is build into the ignition slot.

Any ideas out there??

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Never heard of this before, but it makes sense that the car would still be running as it can run, once started, without a key until powered down.

And by the way, there is no reason to warm-up the engine for !5 minutes. It's a waste of a precious resource (gas) and bad for the environment. The Prius has a thermos what will pump warm fluids into the engine on start so it really only needs a few seconds.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    People actually put the fob in the slot to start the car? Where's the fun in that?

4. brjacobso

brjacobso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 9 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]387490[/snapback]</div>
    exactly! I pride myself in not having to take the "key" out of my pocket. I complain when I have to take out my key to open the front door to my house.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you look at his profile it states he has a #1....

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Feb 9 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]387447[/snapback]</div>
    Where is this warm fluid coming from and how did it get warm? :mellow:

7. Cattaraugus

Cattaraugus New Member

yeah, you guys are spoiled...I don't have the fancy keyless Prius.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Feb 9 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]387539[/snapback]</div>
    There is a thermos which stores hot coolant up to five days. It is pumped out of the engine when you shut down and pumped back in before startup.

However, I still need to warm up my car in order to defog/ defrost/ deice etc on bad days.

Nate

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you keep the doors unlocked?
    Frankly, if my neighbor kept his Prius running and unlocked with the key in the ignition, I'd mess with his head a little.

I had a friend move my car around the corner while I was delivering pizzas once.

10. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your Prius is obviously suffering from premature ejection...

11. Cattaraugus

Cattaraugus New Member

It may need some therapy...or something...maybe it was just way too excited to run down the road??

12. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 9 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]387490[/snapback]</div>
    I only do that when I take it to a lube place and don't want to confuse them.

Dave M.