1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Killer - Hybrid Honda Fit?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cooljw, May 12, 2006.

1. cooljw

cooljw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok, so Honda plans on making a Hybrid version of the Fit that will not cost much more than the conventional version.

Let's say the Hybrid Fit costs only about $18k and gets 55mpg (probably better than the Prius). Would you still buy a Prius or would you buy the Fit instead?

With the Fit you still get hatchback utility, great gas mileage, but you'll save thousands...

2. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza New Member

Its probably not fair to respond since I haven't looked at a Fit and I own a Prius but why let that stop me. :D When I first looked at the Prius, the thing that grabbed my attention was that it looked so small (my last three cars were full size). Then we got inside and I was amazed. I felt like I had as much room as we have in our Taurus. So there we had a car that looked like a compact on the outside but felt like a full-size (or big mid-size) inside, Then I drove it and felt it drove like a luxury car. OK maybe I romanticizing a bit. But I doubt the Fit can fit that bill.

So no, its still the Prius for me.

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cooljw @ May 12 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]254434[/snapback]</div>
    why do people buy 60-80k luxury cars when they could get a 20k family sedan

same thing's gonna apply here. prius looks like it has more commodities inside than the honda fit does. depends on what the buyer fancies.

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

If the hybrid Fit hits your specs and is SULEV, I've already decided to buy it. My wife took the current Fit for a spin and wanted to buy it on the spot.

5. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I personally would easily go for a FIT Hybrid if I hadn't already gotten a Prius. In fact when I saw the FIT overseas a while ago, I said to myself that's a great car that I would like to buy. I think the design is utilitarian and beautiful. Make it a hybrid and I'm sold. The Prius has more room than I really need, and is too long to easily park in the city.

6. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My Prius makes the 4th Toyota I have bought new since last century. :)
    I am sold on the quality, durability, and reliability of the cars. I have own many, many different brands in the past. So for me, I'll stick with Toyota. BTW, I'm getting 55mpg in my Prius. Yippee!

7. ellisfam2

ellisfam2 New Member

My prius replaced a honda civic. I love my prius in so many ways. The only thing I realy miss is how much more fun the honda was to drive. So I guess if I could have the minimal impact on the environment, super gas mileage, superior reliability (just like the prius) AND a fun, light and agile car, I'd have to go with the Fit.

Sorry Toyota.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven't seen the Fit personally. So I can't do a real comparison. I haven't seen the Yaris either. But if I could get the same ammenities, I would go for it. Either car in hybrid with lower sticker price.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Based on pictures of the Fit.......................nah.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paflyfisher @ May 12 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]254440[/snapback]</div>
    I tell people that the Prius uses non-euclidian geometry: it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. :lol:

Tom

11. offersk

offersk Junior Member

I just went to edmunds.com and ran a comparison of the Honda Fit, Scion Xa, and the Prius. The Fit and the Xa seem pretty comparable to each other and appear to be smaller versions of a Toyota Matrix. Both are designed to be small, versatile, economy cars. However the Prius has a 10 - 13 inch larger wheel base than the Fit or Xa which gives the Prius a midsize car ride. The Prius is also about 20 inches longer and 450 pounds heavier than either car. The Fit or Xa were designed to satisfy a very different customer than the Prius.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK, hatch back, SSK, Bluetooth, Nav, Air Bags all around, Traction Control and VST? Premium stereo not that my ears can any longer hear the difference. Oh yes can I hook up the CAN View? Is there a CAN View for the Honda. I guess no one bothered! Imagine that. How soon could I get a plug in, if I had the money, and I wanted to do that?

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So what in the world is your actual question?

It appears as though you are completely dismissing the way the vehicle is equipped. That's fine. But in that case, shouldn't the design of the hybrid system be a major consideration then?

One is a "full" hybrid, the other is only an "assist". They function very differently. So questions like what kind of driving will you be doing are important. For that matter, accessory use like the A/C is too.

14. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(offersk @ May 12 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]254534[/snapback]</div>

You pegged it. I saw the Fit. It is small, thin and tall like a Matrix. In fact I thought it was a Matrix at first. If a hybrid, Fit would be an entry level type that would compete with a Yaris or Matrix type car if a hybrid. A Prius is a bit more upscale.

Some one here on PC posted a brilliant observation. From a marketing branding standpoint, the Prius has a unique look and only comes as a hybrid. It seems simple but there is no mistaking a Prius for something else and when you see it you know it is hybrid, with all the good stuff that comes with that. Honda just puts a sticker on existing models to indicate its a hybrid. That's not the same branding strength or pride of ownership statement as having a whole different profile. All car makers should think about that as they deluge the market with hybrids.

15. dkent49

dkent49 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Karnac @ May 12 2006, 11:43 PM) [snapback]254582[/snapback]</div>
    I heard Toyota (eventually, 5 years?) plans to make every model in its line available as a hybrid as they have already done with Highlander and Camry. Think Corolla hybrid, Yaris hybrid, Matrix hybrid, etc.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(asoka @ May 13 2006, 12:03 AM) [snapback]254591[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, and that's only the beginning. In time, there could easily be more than one configuration for each model available too.

17. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(asoka @ May 12 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]254591[/snapback]</div>
    dont forget the estima
    however its not avaliable in US

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then there's the Coaster Hybrid (bus), Crown Hybrid, Alphard Hybrid...

Hmm... let's put it this way. I'd recommend the Fit Hybrid to my friends and I'll keep the Prius secret to myself. Sure, they'll save some gas, pollute less and have the feeling of owning the hybrid. I'll keep the best secret of EV, SKS, midsize space and other cool Prius doodads to myself since no one I know would care and to them, it won't make a difference.

19. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

Of course all cars will eventually need a hybrid option to compete in a climate of high gas prices but the unique Prius profile put it ahead IHO.

In 2005 the Prius was the # 1 selling hybrid and made up 52% of the market. Honda civic hybrid was # 2 at 13%, that is a huge lead that can chalked up to better branding strategy.

Karnac predicts that the next version Prius in 2008 (2009 model) will be the biggest seller yet ! I'm going for one as ASAP.

20. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cooljw @ May 12 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]254434[/snapback]</div>
    The No 1 criteria for me was interior room and comfort. In driving about 40000 miles annlually I wanted a comfortable ride equivalent to a CamCord. That ruled out all small vehicles and as a prior poster noted the Prius is surprisingly large inside. With the best FE available presently it became the only choice.

Now a hybrid Fit will certainly attract a following some of which will come from buyers of smaller vehicles such as the Corolla and Civic and HCH. I think there is more risk of the HFH caannablizing the HCH's sales rather than the Prius' sales.

Now if the new Prius in 18 mo's is anything like the rumors then Toyota will have raised the bar out of sight of everyone else - again - for the next 5-7 years.