1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius LED interior lighting

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by MrLightRail, Feb 18, 2024.

1. MrLightRail

MrLightRail Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a LE, but that trim doesn't have the LED lighting on the dash panels. Is there a way for me to install some so my interior looks like a LTD? If so, point me to the lights, and possibly how to install them cleanly.

Thank Ye!

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You've got two choices. You've got the cheap and easy way or the expensive and difficult way.

Cheap way:
    There are aftermarket light kits that glue an LED strip on top of the trim panel where the factory light would be. You then splice into a power line according to the instructions to give it juice. There are a couple threads around here already, so just search for those and do a google search for options.

Pros: cheap, easy, more color choices beyond just the blue or red
    Cons: not as neat and clean as factory, does not have the blink function to warn you of danger, might eventually peel off if the adhesive fails, length might not be quite right

Expensive way:
    Buy the factory garnish sub-assemblies for about $700 total. Then tear apart your dash to install them. You don't have to remove the whole dash pad, but you do have to remove almost everything from the bottom half of the dash. More than likely, you will also need to do some wiring in order to connect the lights to the ECU.

Pros: full functionality, OEM quality, everything will fit precisely right
    Cons: very expensive, very difficult, significant risk of something going wrong

Left side (red) - Garnish Sub-Assy, Instrument Panel, No.1
    Left side (blue) - Garnish Sub-Assy, Instrument Panel, No.1

Right side (red) - Garnish Sub-Assy, Instrument Panel, No.2
    Right side (blue) - Garnish Sub-Assy, Instrument Panel, No.2

I will say that I'm seriously considering switching my blue LEDs to factory red LEDs sometime this spring(I have to rip my dash apart anyway for another project, and my car is red so I think the red LEDs will look better). If you're interested in the blue light strips and are interested in the challenge, I'll probably be willing to give a good deal on a set of gently used blue strips.

Agent337 and wrtboy168 like this.
  3. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just pointing it out, the cheap way does have the blinking but only on the driver's side for some reason. Me and someone else have done it and have that issue. We'd also need someone with an LE to confirm they have the connectors since the LE was missing the footwell one.
    I think I also posted the connectors for a plug and play approach with no splicing.
    Cheap one also allows to do the system/length as you place as I made the driver's side longer, and personally, nicer than the original.

For about $20, you could try to see if you'd really like blue by going the cheap option on your car. I think you'd also have to change the trim pieces in front of the lights. My SE has them red but you could just use vinyl to switch colors.

Agent337 and wrtboy168 like this.