1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius less economical as experience and miles pile on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cbs4, Nov 5, 2006.

1. cbs4

cbs4 Member

My Prius is currently in the shop to fix a headlight that goes out intermittantly.

In every other car I own, a non working headlight means $20.00 spent at the local autoparts store.

However, with the Prius, the cost is $2,000. Literally. 100 times higher.

While reading the forum today, I learned of another Priuschat member whose 12V battery had one cell that went bad. When a battery goes bad in every other car I own, that means $45.00 at Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, or the local auto store.

However, with the Prius, the cost was reported to be $488. 10 times higher.

Continuing to read the forums, I find a fellow '06 Prius owner whose MFD went out intermittantly. Reading further, there appears to be enough trouble with MFD's to inspire another member to begin a sideline business helping Prius owners obtain refurbished ones. Many "economical" cars don't have MFDs, so this is a hard one to compare. I have a non-economical truck that has a touch screen navigation system, and it's replacement cost is about $1,000.

However, with the Prius, the reported replacement cost is $4,000. Still 4 times higher.

So, with just a headlight, a battery, and screen replacment, we have a $6,488 repair bill.

That's just one headlight away from being able to buy a brand new economical Hyundai with a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Or a Ford Focus. Or a Kia.

At the end of the day, and ignoring the ecological issue of disposing all the parts that have to be replaced, is the Prius really that economical?

2. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 5 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]344113[/snapback]</div>

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 5 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]344113[/snapback]</div>
    Depends.

Did any of your former cars have HIDs?

Were any of your former cars new models?

What exactly did they replace? just the headlight unit? If so, that's damn expensive :blink:

I believe the 12V was quoted less somewhere here, probably in that same thread you're insinuating. $488 is ridiculous, I agree

A brand new MFD is $4k. A refurbished is $400. Your pickup with nav is probably similar to the Solara or the last gen Camry with nav - it replaces the radio unit (i.e. it's a radio/CD/nav system) as opposed to the newer systems now that come with the MFD, not to mention you have the latest and highest res screen that makes ours look primative.

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

It has been true for decades that the sum of the cost of parts far exceeds the purchase price of the car when new. This is not unique to the Prius.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've been doing some pretty selective and/or incomplete reading.
    First, I'd like more details on your headlight fix. AFAIK the HIDs are expensive, in the $300-400 range...any car w/HIDs will cost you that much to replace. If you're being charged for as much as you state there must be more to the story or you're just getting totally ripped off. The days of a $20 replacement bulb are long gone.

Next, as someone else pointed out above the MFD can be replaced for $400. This item is also covered under the 3/36k warranty and shouldn't require replacement for any but a select few first year owners....even then most people who've raised a stink have managed to get a free replacement out of warranty...and it is covered under the extended warranty.

The 12v battery is pretty unique and custom and costs more than a battery should. You can replace it yourself in a matter of minutes for around $150...high, but not the $400 something you stated. There were diagnostic issues and installation costs paid by the other poster.

So, yes, replacement costs of some of the unique and complex parts can be expensive, but replacement of individual parts on most other modern cars are as well. This is not unique to Prius. I chose to get the extended warranty, in large part, b/c of the possibility of issues w/ some of these expensive parts.

6. cbs4

cbs4 Member

KTPHIL, I'm not trying to rebuild a Prius here. I'm just trying to keep it running and safe. I didn't mention fender panels or sub frames. I did mention batteries, headlights, and an interior membrane that people poke their fingers into many times every day.

Tideland, the other cars I'm comparing are ones that I've also purchased "new", but that shouldn't really make a difference in what is becoming my growing concern with respect to maintaining the Prius.

The replacement costs for items that even the Toyota Extra Care Platinum Extended Warranty (insurance) plan classify as noncovered normal replacement wear items, like the 12V battery, and the headlights, are from 10 to 100 times the cost of the same replacement items in other cars.

Interestingly enough, the Headlamp Washer is covered. Phew!

As is the Automatic Off Headlamp Sensor, Timer, and Switch; the Headlight Control Relay; the Taillight Control Relay; the Back Up light Switch; the Back Up light Assembly; the Side Marker Light Assembly, the Turn Signal Light Flasher and Assembly; even the Fog Light Assembly...

But NOT the headlight assembly.

In other words, not the part that is used most often, and is expected to wear out.

Had I known that the dealer would charge $2,000 to replace one, I might have altered the calculus I used to delude myself into thinking that "in the long run, the Prius is more economical."

Things are starting to look differently now that experience and miles have piled on.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 5 2006, 01:17 PM) [snapback]344137[/snapback]</div>
    You still haven't answered the question. Replace What and Why?

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I can understand how Cbs4 feels. At 46,000 miles my ABS system quit. How much will the repair cost? I don't know, I'm afraid to ask, I've continued driving the car as is. At close to 50,000 miles the MFD started working intermitently. Again, I've continued to drive the car as is. It certainly looks like in the long run all the savings in gas will not come close to the additional repair costs.

As to the extended warranty, if one must purchase one of these because one's afraid of repair costs, the car's not reliable and not worth it.

9. cbs4

cbs4 Member

"the 400 something you stated" and someone earlier said "insinuated" is directly from a post of another Priuschat member. That poster said $488... I don't know how to post links, but the post was fairly recent (as in I first saw the thread today, as it simply popped up as the first thread in the Care and Maintenance forums.)

My Prius has about 33,000 miles. It is still under the original factory warranty, so Toyota is covering the headlight this time. I have not seen the repair order yet, and the dealer still has the car. It is from the service writer that I garnered the information about the final cost.

Apparantly, the front bumper assembly has to be removed, according to the service writer. This is at a dealership recommended by various posters on this very forum as being fair and forthright.

When I get the paperwork (and the car) back, I'll be happy to report whatever is stated on the RO.

I'm not thrilled about having this much work done to a new car. The dealer said this has never occured in his dealership before, so they are "learning" on my car. That's never been good in my experience. Usually, stuff doesn't get put back quite right, and then future problems occur which are deemed as fate, but have their roots in misassembly by rushed and unknowing technicians intent on resolving the initial problem.

I've had two Honda's prior to this Prius that my wife put 300K and 350K miles on respectively, and the bumper assembly didn't have to be removed until the cars were involved with fender benders.

And I replaced a headlamp on one of them. $20 bucks.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius is not an economy car. Did you really buy yours thinking that it was?

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 5 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]344137[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it would since for my dad's Camry with halogen headlights, US$20 will probably get a good set of bulb (Silverstars are Cdn$31 each). Replacing the A/C wire was expensive (well into the hundreds). Why? because before they found out it was the wire causing the problems, they changed a whole bunch of other stuff. By the time they found the bad wire, the Camry was out of warranty. Toyota Canada agreed to pay for half the cost.

IOW, it may not be the part that's expensive but the labour that the dealer is charging you.

I remember our most expensive dealership visit ever - Cdn$1,000 was paid out to the dealer for 3 tyres and automatic transmission fluid.

I don't know about you but that's hella expensive.

12. cbs4

cbs4 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Nov 5 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]344141[/snapback]</div>
    (Emphasis added)

This is the same conclusion that I am beginning to draw.

13. cbs4

cbs4 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Nov 5 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]344148[/snapback]</div>

Yes.

I did a lot of reading in the last couple of years prior to purchasing the Prius. Much of that reading was of comments from people like you... Prius owners on PriusChat.

Members here even have slogans in their signatures championing the economy of the Prius with phrases like "initial cost versus long term cost." These slogans directly address the higher initial cost of the Prius by emphasising the overall total cost of ownership (TCO) as being less with the Prius, for reasons not limited to A) the fuel economy B. ) the tax incentive (deduction or credit, year dependent) and C) Toyota "reliability."

It is the "C" part that I am beginning to also question, aside from the exhorbitantly high cost of normal wear items. Within the first year or two of ownership, is it normal for the battery, the headlight, the MFD, the ABS, to require repair in a Toyota product? And if so, then the assumption of Toyota reliability is a false factor in what many Prius posters I read in my initial research used to calculate how, at the end of 5 years, owning a Prius is more econmical than owning a similarly sized vehicle that obtained only half the fuel economy.

My wife typically puts well over 300K on her cars within the minimum of 10 year period of time that we keep a car. We don't trade every two or thee years like many do. We don't need to have the latest and greatest looking model or style. We don't look around for something new when the payment coupon book emptys, because we don't believe in making payments.

So, yes, for our situation, given the number of miles driven, the number of years held, the price of gas, the tax incentive, and the supposed Toyota reliability we always hear about, I really did think, as many other Prius posters suggested, that in terms of TCO, I was buying an economical car.

But I'm beginining to think different now that more miles, more experience, and yes, even more reading, (selective? I have no control over what other people post) has been undertaken.

14. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    First off, it's unfair to compare the cost of do it yourself replacements to what a dealer charges for anything.

If you took most any car to the dealer to replace a battery to it would cost way more than the $48.00 you qoute for a Wally World special. I'd guess most dealers would charge well over $200 for parts and labor to put a battery in. Just like former car (a Miata), the Prius uses a sealed battery. I found that the Mazda battery was about $150 plus labor. I could get a better battery from Westco that was totally interchangeble with the Miata battery for about 80.00 I'm sure there are non-Toyota sources for Prius batteries too. (http://www.westcobattery.com/miata.html)

With the headlight, what failed? The bulbs can be bought from other sources. $2000 seems absurd. The bulbs are usually under $200 and are supposed to last the life of the car, the ignitors shouldn't be much more than that. I'd expect the entire headlight system could be bought for under $2000!

With the MFD, yeah that's pretty expensive. But as others have said Toyota will sell a refurbished unit for about $400.

So, what you have proved is that if you cherry pick 3 really expensive repairs on a new car with state of the art technology and find seriously overpriced quotes on their repairs without providing any details on what the actual repairs are, it will cost hundreds of times more than if you do your own replacements on an old car. Well, you win that one.

15. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Well, I think it can also be said that "Any Car" is less economical as the miles pile on. I was asked at work this week during the lunch hour by a guy with a Vibe wtih 30 K if he needed brakes. From what he said, I responded "probably". His travels are mostly in city and suburban driving, and no week day highway driving.

If you bought a BMW or other luxury car with HID lights, it would be similarily expensive to have them repaired. HID lights are not commonly found on your typical economy car, and with the Prius, you have choice to buy an economy car, or buy the luxury, high cost features, as CBS4 did (package 8).

The battery issue is just a matter of time until there is enough of a market for replacement hybrid car deep cycle auxiliary 12 v batteries. Then one will be able walk on in at Pep Boys or Sears and get one for $60 installed. Right now, the volumes are probably not there.

I think the only valid issue with the Prius discussed above over other cars (for the moment) is the MFD. As all that functionality is built into it , it needs to be allot more reliable. Toyota apparently did not realise and execute the needed reliability. With the old style controls, a broken knob only effected one function, was much less an issue and cheap to fix. The MFD needs reliability as reliable as a typical manual control times however many manual controls it replaces, to give similar service as a manual system.

Watching car shows I see the savings of initial vehilce cost that the MFD permits is too seductive and many non-hybrid cars are converting to the MFD concept.

Electronics are sensative to heat, and the MFD does run hot. Starting the car up after a hot soak is probably very stressful to the MFD. Its probably a good idea to avoid turning the car on at those times, or prvent the car from being hot-soaked.

16. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 5 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]344142[/snapback]</div>
    If this is a problem that is covered by the original factory warranty, it is most likely also covered by the extended warranty. It does not sound as if this was just a defective bulb, but something considerably more involved, such as what you have listed in your laundry list of lighting components that are covered by the extended warranty.

The $20 you spent on replacing a headlamp on one of your previous car was most likely just for the bulb, not the complete headlight assembly and controls.

Aren't you the one who just a few days ago wrote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Oct 31 2006, 05:02 PM) [snapback]341643[/snapback]</div>
    It may be time for you to reconsider, if it is not already too late. Processing a claim under Toyota's extended warranty should be no different than having a repair cost covered by the original Toyota new car warranty. And by the way, it is not thousands of dollars, Troy offers the 6 years / 100,000 miles genuine Toyota extended warranty for under $900 through PriusChat (the $990 quote is for the seven years policy).

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 5 2006, 12:52 PM) [snapback]344153[/snapback]</div>
    You cannot with such a tiny data sampling. A generalization simply isn't possible.

Of course, none of it is related to the hybrid system anyway. So just passing on the extras/upgrades is the only realistic suggestion for those that don't like the odds.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's regrettable, but sh!t does happen. Perhaps you just got a bad one. Or perhaps your inexperienced dealer is misdiagnosing the problem and replacing stuff shotgun until it works, or breaks one thing while he fixes another? You might try asking for recommendations and getting it fixed at another dealer.

To minimize car expenses, buy a clean one- or two-years-old compact. A new car is always more expensive.

19. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Instead of exchanging opinions, why not have a poll where everybody can say how much they've spent repairing their Prius in the first two years? Only for Prii older thant 2 years, so we have more accurate results...

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Repair parts on cars these days are obscenely expensive. And if you happen to get a lemon, you are justified in getting mad.

But Toyotas are among the most reliable of cars. Your chances of having to have repairs done with a Prius are a small fraction of your chances with any American-made car, or most other foreign cars.

This logic does not help if you are the unlucky one in a thousand who beats the odds the wrong way around. But the Prius is still one of the most reliable cars on the road, and taking the fleet as a whole, much less expensive than other new cars. (Used cars being much cheaper over the life of the car because of the enormously-cheaper purchase price.)

Insurance is a way to spread the risk. You help pay for other folks' costs, and your own are limited. The extended warranty allows you to do that for repair costs. Adding a thousand bucks to the cost of a $30,000 car (I gather you bought the top-end options package) does not transform an economy car to an expensive one.

It's also worth noting that the folks posting here are the enthusiasts, and people who have a problem (whether looking for a solution, or just getting a gripe off their chest). So you're going to read more about problems, than about the great majority of cars that have had no problems.