1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius let the smoke out and now no crank no start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sergbot, Mar 20, 2021.

1. sergbot

sergbot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, was delivering pizza on the prius and then I smelled a strong smell of plastic, then I had the engine trouble like, I quickly pulled over and shut the car off to prevent catastrophic damage.

Now the car won't turn on, it won't go into neutral, the dash lights come on, and when the car attempts to get into ready mode, the five boxes for shifting flash and the car dies, I can't connect to read the codes because it says no ecu connection.

All the fuses in the fuse box and the thin fuse box show connectivity.

Any ideas what it could be? Or what to do next?

I saw someone has a similar problem with their coolant pump letting the smoke out and failing but my coolant pump works when I turned it on from the relay port

2. sergbot

sergbot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Edit, it looks like am2 fuse is blown, idk how the multimeter gave me a beep, but it's clearly fried. I put a new fuse and I got the car into neutral.

Uhh, the engine water pump looked like it worked, but the inverter pump is shorted? I can't even tell the difference between the two pumps. And when I search for an engine pump online so I can see what it is and differentiate it from the engine pump, the inverter pump comes up in the search results

3. sergbot

sergbot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Edit. So the inverter pump is sized, I put 12v on it and it made clunks but I didn't hear it rotating. Hopefully a new one will not be expansive. I'll be super upset because from the initial glance, it looks like a simple dc 12 volts water pump with 1.25 inch entrance and exist ports, pumps like this go on ebay for 10 bucks

4. sergbot

sergbot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And the pump only has two terminals, no signal terminals or anything

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The inverter coolant pump has failed, unless you can disconnect the related pump plug the AM2 fuse will just fail again.

[​IMG]

Once disconnected and with a new fuse, some have driven the vehicle at low speeds for short distances, without damage, hopefully.

[​IMG]

These pumps don't last forever, when was yours last replaced?

You can check for dealer related maintenance by entering the VIN at : Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its easy to get to if you pull the front upper edge of the bumper down and pull the headlight out. See picture.

You can go 3 ways on that part one is used pump on ebay for $10 that should last 2 weeks or the cheapo Chinese pump you can get at a auto parts store and it wont last very long or the factory pump. Mine failed on me 3 months ago and did not have time to order the factory online so paid $165 at the dealer for the factory pump. It had lasted almost 100,000 miles and second pump. The previous pump was replaced by a TSB at 65,000 miles.

Like most posters you didn't post the mileage so i can assume its got the original inverter fluid so that needs to be changed.

use the search forums link up top search

inverter pump

there's hundreds of posts on there that will give you details on how to easily change that fluid. Start reading.

Attached Files:

ETC(SS) likes this.
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beep came from alternate path.

Mileage will likely be rather low due to the OP's location....even though delivering pizza (ham and pineapple ?) will rack up miles fairly quickly.....