1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Lift Kit?? Milleage Impact??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jmatuska, Jun 29, 2007.

1. jmatuska

jmatuska New Member

Just cursious if anyone has put a lift kit on their prius and how that worked out for them? Are these even available? If you have done this, how much lift did you use and what impact did it have on your milleage? I love my prius but wouldn't mind having a few more inches of clearance, maybe I could actually use the parking bumpers. What does everyone think?

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It would look retarded. The ground clearance isn't that bad. Most sportscars sit lower to the ground.

3. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jun 29 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]470347[/snapback]</div>
    Don't listen to morpheusx. Heck, his avatar looks like Butters. ;)

But seriously, I've been looking for lift kits for a couple years and there is nothing out there yet. I can't even find a truck shop that will take me seriously. I just want to pull in & out of our steep-down driveway without a bump at the raised-lip curb, and carry 4 adults and a couple hundred pounds of camping gear without "flashing bright" at the oncoming traffic. We use a Coastal Tech hitch basket on the back; the actual trailer will have to wait til I can find something, anything to help our spongy rear spring situation.

The only stiffer springs for the Prius involve dropping at least an inch. No way I could get the family out the driveway like that.

OTOH, even with a 1" drop the Prius still looks high compared to a Porsche, Corvett, or the sassy neighbor's Honda drift-mobile.

Well ok, listen to Butters. I guess a lifted Prius might look a little like a nerd in high-water pants! :lol:

T.S. Elliot likes this.
  4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobdavisnpf @ Jun 29 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]470427[/snapback]</div>
    that's professor chaos to you, mwhahaha

5. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jun 30 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]470527[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! Ok Leopold, that's pretty cool! B) Come to think of it, those high-water pants are gonna come in handy when you flood the world with a garden hose... maybe I'll get back to looking for some lift alternative for my poor little Prius!

Cheers,
    Bob

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmatuska @ Jun 29 2007, 05:59 PM) [snapback]470319[/snapback]</div>
    I think I'd practice parking a bit more, until I didn't need for the tire to press against the parking bumper.

It cracks me up when I see people parking like that...how they keep inching forward, little by little, 'till the front tire is smooshed against the parking bumper. Me? I just look out the driver's side window and use good judgment.

7. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmatuska @ Jun 29 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]470319[/snapback]</div>

I think you need to get a ford focus - put some 'spinners' on it and make sure you get a speakers and a stereo loud enough to shake the car so bad it rattles.

That way we can REALLY laugh at you.

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ Jul 6 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]474235[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, and add the name of his favorite fictitious racing team along the top edge of the windshield and some goofy cartoon character on the fuel filler door...

I'm thinking that maybe a huge rear spoiler and ground effects kit would be a great way to compensate for the decrease in mileage and handling caused by the lift kit.

Or...how about the [ahem] Prickup?

[attachmentid=9471]

Attached Files:

9. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 6 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]474237[/snapback]</div>

Nono - you and I can't be on the same team - no good - nono -

But.... arruughh.. nicely done.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ Jul 6 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]474243[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I have to fess up; I didn't do the artwork...but, as they say, originality is the art of concealing one's sources!
    [laughing]

I know what you mean about us being in agreement; it's just...*too* weird.
    [smile]

11. Spoid

Spoid New Member

You could have something like this:

[​IMG]

12. Teebeatea

Teebeatea New Member

I have a 2007 prius. I'm with you on the parking bumpers. Always hear that scraping sound whenever the front tires get too close to the bumpers. Worst case scenario the parking bumper is part of an island with shrubs sticking about an inch over the bumper. Pulling out of the stall the splash guard under the very front end got tangled with shrubs and there goes the guard ripped from its mounting. At the Q&A with the dealership, the expert offered no satisfactory answer to the problem. All I can think of to correct this concern is install a sensor way ahead of the front tires so that alarm at the dashbord would signal the driver to stop. The sensor is a simple device. Earlier in the 1980's fancy expensive cars used these sensors to protect the wide white sidewall tires and hubcups from scraping with curbs when parking close to the side of the street.

13. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 6 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]474237[/snapback]</div>
    Nice job on the pickup design. If they actually make it some day you should get a royalty on the design.

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. fred s

fred s New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Instead of a lift kit, airbag it!

16. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    is the prickup a new hybrid mode of transportation or the latest in the war on impotence?

17. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fred S @ Aug 16 2007, 08:11 AM) [snapback]496796[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, that would be so sweet. I've often thought it would look interesting to have airbags and those folding side mirrors - so when the car is off it would look like it was asleep because it would rest lower and the mirrors would be pulled in.

18. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spoid @ Jul 6 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]474263[/snapback]</div>
    Check the Photoshop Your Prius thread for another example.

19. lisahummon

lisahummon New Member

Anyone have any updates on finding a lift kit and how badly it affects mpg? I drive on a lot of forest service roads to get to trail heads and camping sites, and I definitely scrape the hell out of the underside of my poor Prius if the roads are in poor condition.

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go full pimp ride with hydraulics!

Isn't the Prius just about short enough to fit into american size parking spaces without the bumper even going over the stopper bar thingy?

Of course a major lift kit with 10R 15 off road wheels n tyres would look pretty wild,
    Not!!!

I'd rather lower mine but I think not.

Pinto Girl, you're wicked! I love it.