1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

+ Prius Maintenance at 11000K + Emissions +

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by unit333, Oct 31, 2011.

1. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello

So I bought a Gen 3 in Jan 2009. I live in Brooklyn, NY, drive the car a lot (short trips) but still have only managed to put less then 11 000 on it. I mostly drive to the mountains to ski during the winter, occasionally a few longer trips during the summer, and then regular drives here and there. I changed the oil last year at around 7000 because it was time for the emissions inspection anyway. I've been to the dealer once before too to just do a quick check up and put different tires.
    My question is, what things do I need to check on at this millage and rate of driving? I need to do another emissions test in January and I probably won't even need to change the oil, since they upgraded the Prius to the 10K oil change rule. So do I need to go spend the big bucks at the dealer and have them do the emission test and also fluid check, etc OR would it be totally fine to go to my local auto shop (which I have been to once and they seem to have good reviews), spend less and have them do some tweaks if need be. I guess the obvious question is - the Dealer is suppose to be the Hybrid expert, the local auto shop maybe not? Would I be taking a risk or not?

Thank you!!!!

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First, this is Prius v (wagon) sub-forum so a moderator will need to move it to GenIII Prius section.

Prius has the lowest emission of any production car with a combustion engine of any size. You don't need to worry about failing the emission test. The emission equipments (which includes the HV battery) have 10 years / 150k miles warranty. And they are maintenance free (unlike Diesels).

Just follow your regular maintenance schedule booklet and you should be fine. I believe the oil change interval is every 6 months OR 10,000 miles whichever comes first.