1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by frank_prius, May 9, 2006.

1. frank_prius

frank_prius New Member

I live in the SF Bay Area. And I didnt buy the $950 extended warranty from my dealer. Now the "maint reqd" light comes on the dashboard. Any recommendations on where I can take the Prius for its 5K servicing ?

Also any recommendations on bluetooth phones which work well with the Prius.

Frank

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frank_prius @ May 9 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]252141[/snapback]</div>
    I think most of us choose to use our local dealer's service dept for our routine maintainance. There isn't really any reason it couldn't be done at a local 'quick-lube' type place, but they're less likely to be familiar with the Prius and most of us are pretty anxious about strangers messing with the car when they don't know much about it.

There are dozens of BT phones out there now and almost all work well with the Prius. It would probably be easier to answer your question if we knew your provider of choice and what phone features you want/need. Be aware that Verizon cripples their BT phones by deactivating the Object push protocol so addresses cannot be uploaded to the car.

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The "maint reqd" light simply means it's been 5,000 miles since the light was last reset, usually coinciding with your last oil change. Some people do the regular maintenance themselves, others take it to a low-cost rapid service shop, and still others like myself take it to a Toyota dealer's service shop. The Prius requires so little specialized maintenance, you can service it just like you would any other conventional car.

As for bluetooth phone recommendations, I use a Motorola RAZR V3c (CDMA version) from Alltel, and it works pretty slick.

*EDIT* Blast! Doc, you beat me to it again!

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frank_prius @ May 9 2006, 11:44 AM) [snapback]252141[/snapback]</div>
    Hello Frank, welcome to PC!

First thing I like to point out is that the extended warranty has nothing to do with maintenance. So feel free to bring it to your dealer for the 5k maintanence. Any mechanic is able to change oil on the Prius, but they might not know how to reset the "maint req" light. The procedure is in the manual if you wish to do it yourself. Be sure to bring the maintanence book that comes with the car. Have the dealer perform things listed in the book ONLY. I've heard many stories about dealers ripping people off by doing many things not listed in the maintanence book.

For rotating the tires, dealers usually charge more than a tire shop. My dealer wanted to charge something like $30 to rotate the tires. I just bring my Prius to a tire shop and have them do it for $10.

5. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Off topic: You guys are like sharks! The second there is new blood in the water - you're on it! Nice!

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 9 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]252150[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I've heard some of the same stories, but I've had the opposite experience occur at the dealer's service shop, too. For example, a paraphrased conversation with the Toyota service counter guy during my last oil change a week ago:

Brandon: "Here's the maintenance log book. Please do everything listed under the '15k service page' and stamp it when you're done."

Service counter guy: "No problem."

... Later, after the service is rendered and I'm paying the bill ...

Service counter guy: "Okay, sir. The oil has been changed and everything looks okay. We went ahead and rotated your tires, too, since it was about time to do that anyway."

Brandon (aside): "Good, since that's what I asked you to do in the first place!"

The moral of the story - Don't assume the service department did everything you asked them to do, and don't assume they didn't do things you didn't ask them to do. Confer with them and have them walk you through everything that was replaced, examined, rotated, etc.

7. frank_prius

frank_prius New Member

Thanks for all the really quick replies guys. I have decided to call my dealer. Will post my first maintenance experience.

BTW , is the Prius male or female ?

8. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frank_prius @ May 9 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]252322[/snapback]</div>
    That's another thread...

9. benighted

benighted New Member

All of the quick lube places in my town downright refused to service my Prius. I tried to talk to the manager but everytime I opened my mouth to say anything he cut me off and said "We don't touch hybrids."
    I'm never going back there again.

10. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ May 9 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]252331[/snapback]</div>
    I want to see how they stay in business after couple of years... :rolleyes:

How about this, do the oil change yourself! show them that u don't need them!

john1701a.com has detail instruction on how to do it urself.

11. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 9 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]252335[/snapback]</div>
    I forgot to mention that I've done all of my own maintenance since 10,000 miles and am now currently at 26,000 ;)

12. Duncan

Duncan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frank_prius @ May 9 2006, 11:44 AM) [snapback]252141[/snapback]</div>
    It's your 'oil change needed' notification.
    You can kill it yourself.
    Search this website for instructions.
    Did it last weekend.. pretty easy

13. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Duncan @ May 9 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]252450[/snapback]</div>
    1. make sure you have your trip meter set to ODO
    2. turn off the car.
    3 hold down the ODO/trip button
    4. turn on the car, keep holding down the trip/ODO button
    5. you will see bars scrolling on the Odometer indicating that it is being reset.
    6. release the button and you are done
    Its a lot easier than it sounds