1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Mechanic in Seattle area? - P0A80, P3000 (and P0420)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KBG, Aug 15, 2017.

1. KBG

KBG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've got a 2004 with 330K on it, never replaced the traction battery or the cat.

Last two days the battery was suspiciously low charge on startup, and the motor had to run more than normal to get going. Today P0A80 and P3000 came on, so looks like it's finally gonna need a replacement battery. Unfortunately, I'm not down the road from Luscious Garage!

The P0420 has been turning on and off for about 6 weeks, but the car still passes emissions so I hadn't been ready to replace the catalytic converter or the sensors yet (at this age it's probably *not* just a bad sensor).

I'm looking for a Prius mechanic in the Seattle / Shoreline / Lynnwood Washington area if you know one that's done a battery replacement before and didn't try to rip you off! I feel like the ideal would be someone who can find bad cells instead of replacing the whole thing, but I haven't seen a lot about that on the forum.

Any advice appreciated!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's the timeline you're looking to keep the car? 330k miles is a lot of miles. A catalytic converter and battery failure would be enough to sell the car and call it a good run for 330k miles.

3. KBG

KBG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Good question. My answer would of course be "as long as it's worth repairing" . . . but I don't know what's really reasonable to expect before other things start going wrong. I'd like to get another year / 20k miles out of it, possibly two. If it doesn't become an emissions problem, then the cost of a battery would be reasonable for that time period. No clue what I could get for the parts when it finally does bite the dust.

The optimist in me says "try to get another 50K out of it".

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're trying for 50k miles, you would need to consider the costs. At your mileage, many more failures can happen. But of course, buying a new car would mean payments every month.

A refurbished battery will run you about $500 per year (Dorman is $1500 with 3 year warranty with possibly many failures). A catalytic converter will cost you about $1500 for OEM or $300 for non OEM.

So basically is $500 a year on the battery (and the headaches of breaking down) worth it to keep? That fuel savings is out the door with the $500 needed to keep the battery going.

You can go for a new battery for $3000+ and get 10 years of reliable service (for the battery). But then other parts (like engine, transaxle, struts, shocks, steering, AC) will start failing

5. KBG

KBG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Right. So . . . know a mechanic in the area?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope, not in your neck of the woods, sorry. We have lots of Seattle people here, sure they'll offer some help.

Ever thought of fixing the battery yourself? And buying a reconditioning kit for $750 to maintain the battery for the life of the car?

7. KBG

KBG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've never even looked at that - mostly assumed that doing anything more than the most basic repairs would need more space than the one parking space I have would fit. Is there a guide on here about that? I'm not immediately finding a stickied thread on it, and I read up on other P0A80 threads before I posted but I don't even know what the reconditioning kit actually is!

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hybrid automotive sells a reconditioning kit. It consists of a charger and discharger. Basically what you're doing is trying to get back the lost capacity in your modules....from the unusable areas of the battery modules, back to the usable areas of the module. To do that, the battery must be discharged and charged a few cycles.

You currently have at least 1 failed module, you would replace the failed modules and then recondition the battery pack. Clean off the corrosion on the connector bus bars and that's about it.

Ajourney101 and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. KBG

KBG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Looking around a bit it looks like I'd need high voltage gear and a much better workspace to replace those modules myself. Though it's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to do. I'll call around for a mechanic who can do individual module replacement.

Is there a reconditioning kit you'd recommend?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hybrid Automotive only has one for the Prius. You can find it on the PriusChat shop.

Fixing the battery yourself feels really satisfying....especially when another failure occurs and you can fix it yourself without shelling out more money

Ajourney101 likes this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm trying to recall but I can't think of anyone (place) other than DIY'ers who provides this service as it's not a realistic business model.

Instead, they offer an entire used pack that has already had the failed modules replaced (hopefully all 28 modules matched and balanced) because this takes a lot of time (days). Once purchased, they simply swap the packs out. Prices range from $750-3,000 depending on warranty which you need to really review as the odds are it will be needed; does it cover future labor, etc?

13. KBG

KBG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks everyone for advice on this.

The consensus of mechanics around here is that they won't replace individual cells (this would probably be bad for me anyways as I'd likely pay labor on the next cells that die soon since the whole battery is old). Mechanics around here also won't work with remanufactured batteries because the overwhelming chance is that they're gonna replace it on warranty, possibly multiple times.

So to keep the car running I'd be paying $4000+, on a car that will need more maintenance and get a lower MPG than a newer hybrid over the same period of time. Amortized full price on even a new Prius is less than $2000/year if cared for correctly I figure, less for a used Prius, and I doubt I'll be getting more than 2 years life out of this one before the engine eats it or the cat needs replacement.

Looks like it's time to cut losses and buy something else! If you happen to know a great deal on a used Prius in the north Seattle area, give a shout out.

14. ih8spm

ih8spm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fix it and keep it going. Your first year of payments will outweigh your maintenance cost. To have the mileage you have accumulated without the common issues your a good test case on longevity.

SM-G935P ?

15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model: