1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius MFD vs BMW's I-Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jonnycat26, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Last week I saw a preview (I guess it was a preview) of the newest BMW iDrive system from Siemens at the JavaOne conference. I just thought I'd post and share since I find this kind of stuff fascinating. :)

I should point out right away that they have not fixed that goofy spin and push knob thing that controls the system. It's the only way to control the system and it's pretty awful from everything I've seen and read. I'm not sure why they don't use a touchscreen, it seems pretty inexcusable on a car in BMWs class.

On the plus side, the screen is fantastic. It's a little shorter than the Prius screen, but longer. Much, much crisper than the Prius's display. I'm not sure how many colors the Prius can display at once, but the iDrive seems to be a true color display, while I don't think the Prius's screen is. It also lets you split the screen in 2 (think radio on one half, map on the other half). You can pick what goes in which half. It's nice, but not necessarily a killer feature..

What is killer is the fact that it can supposedly handle bluetooth the right way. I'm not sure how they do it, but my guess is they support the vCard protocol so when you transfer your address book, your entries transfer over intact. So I'm guessing you'll get all the phone numbers and addresses. It'd be nice to just be able to go to your address book, find a friend, and get route guidance to their house. I didn't get a chance to actually muck about with the system on the showfloor, so if anyone else knows, chime in.

2. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

If you dont know where your friends live, they arent really your friends ;)

:p

Anyway, i like the Prius's MFD, i love the touchscreen, and yes the Pruis's display is a true color display, but none of the menu's really showcase its performance, wait till dave brings out his video in thingy ;)

3. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, if you're in an odd neighborhood... it's much easier to pull up Bob's address and ask for guidance than sit there and punch it in. Just a small point I guess.