1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius mileage controversy in the U.K.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bookrats, Mar 22, 2004.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Apparently a well-known car reviewer in Britain has complained that the Prius was getting poorer mileage than touted. One of the auto magazines summarized the situation, including the reply by Toyota GB:

http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=43898

I thought I'd post it, as I thought the Toyota rep provided a pretty good explanation of why the reviewer was not getting the mileage he was expecting.

[Though I'm surprised to hear that London traffic is so stop-and-go that you could get 65.7 MPG in it. Is the EV switch available in the UK Prius?]

2. ejames8124

ejames8124 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Toyota response doesn't quite explain why the milage wasn't higher. The rated milage in the US says that it gets better milage on the highway than in city driving. Since the reviewer was driving at at average of 60mph he should have gotten better than 40 or 41mpg. The was under the impression that the US figures are 50mpg City and 60mpg Highway. I too am seeing about 40mpg in mixed City and Highway driving. I drive about 32 miles to work and back each day with about 60% of my route on city streets and 40% on a highway and I have never seen more than 40mpg.

3. ToothYoda

ToothYoda New Member

You need to "reverse that" - the window sticker data is greater for city than highway.

4. ejames8124

ejames8124 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I should be seeing much better mileage than I am currently getting either way. More so if the numbers are reversed!

5. jasond

jasond New Member

Yes, you should, though not because of the mythical EPA numbers. My tank averages (mostly cold weather) have been in the 45-49mpg range. I get higher than 40mpg driving home at 75mph on the highway, which is pretty much worst-case for the Prius.

Make sure you're not running with the AC/heater on. It can be on the lowest fan setting, but nothing higher. That's the biggest culprit that I've seen. Front defroster seems to make that a bit worse too.

Otherwise, are you driving in a "Prius-friendly" way? Or do you accelerate toward red lights before braking hard, like "normal" drivers usually do? Do you keep your foot off the accelerator whenever possible, and keep the car in stealth mode when driving in creeping traffic?

You should spend a reasonable percentage of any trip with the instantaneous mpg at 99.9.

One of the problems with the Prius is that it's easy for a driver to force it to get low gas mileage. So anyone trying to prove how "bad" the Prius really is can just kill it and say, "Look, it doesn't get the mileage they claim!"

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've been following the "just drive it" rules, and get over 50MPG but only on certain roads.

A long drive, flat or downhill roads, or warm tempratures seem to be required. I drove a backroad to work yesterday and only had one 5-minute MPG (the middle of 3 on the trip) that was anywhere near 50MPG. On the way home, I had two 5-minute MPGs over 50. Warmer, possibly more downhills.

And when I get 55MPG on a long trip, it's on 55MPH-or-less roads, with the AC on Auto. Now, this *is* South Carolina, so the temps are fairly warm already, but not always as warm as I'd like.

Anyway, anyone who follows all kinds of rules and still doesn't get the MPGs they want *has* to look at how fast they drive. 70MPH highways eat into MPGs like piranhas...

7. rflagg

rflagg Member

I'm on the road for an hour each way to work during the week, usually no where else. I'm averaging (mix of city and highway evenly I'd say) 53-55mpg during those times. I have the A/C on auto usually for the first 5-10 minutes. (mileage is already killed there anyway because of ICE warmup, so why not, right?)

That being said, when I go out on the weekend and run to the grocery store, then to the pet store, then to best buy to check on new gadgets, then to volunteer, etc. My mileage takes a huge hit. Usually range around low to mid 40s.

I definately drive 'Prius friendly', and learn how to better each day. But hands down, my mileage is hurt badly by those short 10-15 minute trips. My overall mileage for the 2200 miles I've driven the car is at 50, and I must say that's what I was expecting from this car. I only hope it'll go up in the warmer weather.

8. Chipsy

Chipsy New Member

In my 2002, I've been getting about 48-50 mpg driving "Prius-friendly" on my hour-long commute from 'burb to 'burb. The short trips are MPG killers.

However, when we drive to Detroit later this summer (550 miles), we'll probably take our 2000 New Beetle, which gets good MPG but is better suited for handling Michigan's 70 mph (more like 100 mph) highways and Detroit's potholes from hell. With the crappy road conditions, manic driving patterns, manic drivers, and familial distrust of hybrid technology and anything not American, I don't want to kill my Prius.

My dad worked for an American auto manufacturer and is pretty bent that I bought a Japanese car after buying a German car. He thinks hybrids will never catch on :roll: and can't understand why we drive two "hobby cars."

Chipsy

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

Ugh - I'm originally from Michigan and I'll be driving back this June for my nephew's graduation. Can't wait to experience the wonderfully fast angry drivers and horrible roads in my 2004 Prius! Hopefully she'll survive! :)

-m.