1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius minivan?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Oct 29, 2007.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It could happen, according to a top executive of Toyota Motor Corp., which makes the four-door hatchback, the world's bestselling gasoline-electric hybrid.

There are no specific plans to develop other body styles for the Prius, Tokuichi Uranishi, Toyota's head of global marketing, said in an interview Thursday.

But it's "something that is desirable from a marketing point of view," he said. "I think we should have a minivan hybrid in the U.S."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-priu...dlines-business

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dúh! We've been saying that here on Priuschat for years.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe he FINALLY heard the screaming across the ocean!

4. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think Toyota should make a completely separate brand for their Hybrid vehicles. Three models would be great.

1. two seater super mpg hybrid
    2. Prius family sedan. 4.5 passenger
    3. 6-8 passenger minivan
    4. Vehicle with the same chassis as the minivan with an "open bed" like a truck.

Those vehicles would cover the reqirements of 90% of the us population.

5. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Oct 30 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]532459[/snapback]</div>
    Something for everyone! Looking at the current SUV/Pickup lines from every manufacturer; it is hard to see any of them meeting the low drag requirements of an efficent hybrid. It is funny talking to SUV/Truck owners about the oil pinch that we are in and if I see a glimmer of hope to go green in their eye, the lack of choices that are on the market, for really fuel efficent SUVs or pickups for them to go green in. Fuel economy is king concerning any vehicle that I buy after owning a Prius anything else is grouped into the also ran pile.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A HSD Tarago a Prius based ute about the same size as the Proton Jumbuck and a station wagon based on Prius would do well I think. I'd also love to see the Gluger in Hybrid and where is the Camry Hybrid Toyota Australia? I'm not so keen on a new brand with all the added cost of new dealers.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Oct 30 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]532459[/snapback]</div>
    Just make one of those an AWD (like the rear electric drive in the THH) so it will sell up north.

JeffD

8. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 31 2007, 06:46 AM) [snapback]532837[/snapback]</div>
    Say what? Is that English? Apparently you have a lot of different model names down under.
    How much does the Scion brand cost dealers?

9. dipper

dipper Senior Member

In the review....

"We build vehicles where there is demand," Uranishi said, stressing that he was expressing his "personal view, not official Toyota policy."

So I don't expect to see one any time soon. They want us to all cough up $40k+ for a Highlander hybrid.

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Nov 2 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]533892[/snapback]</div>
    Which is exactly what I will NEVER do.
    I test drove one and couldn't run away from it fast enough.
    I can't see a huge demand there at all, not at that price/performance point.
    I think someone in Toyota marketing totally misread the "demand".
    I believe a hybrid minivan would outsell a hybrid Highlander in no time.

11. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Nov 2 2007, 06:53 PM) [snapback]534099[/snapback]</div>

Same here. I still say Toyota made a blunder with the continue cost and engine size of the Highlander. Having a version that is cheaper and with a 4 cyl. instead of a V6 would make a lot more economic sense to me.

I don't see why Toyota has not got a hybrid minivan here yet. They are missing a golden opportunity IMO. I have seen numerous threads from people over the years asking for a hybrid minivan and recently stumbled on an old petition to get Toyota to bring the Estima to the US. It ended with almost 13,600 signatures, but has been closed for an unspecified amount of time. Petition Link

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Nov 2 2007, 07:20 AM) [snapback]533843[/snapback]</div>
    Tarago = Estima/Previa

Kluger = Highlander