1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Muffler, Aluminum or Steel?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GusTheCat, Dec 13, 2008.

1. GusTheCat

GusTheCat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sorry as a newbie owner I have so much to worry. I make short trips in Prius and the place I live is quite cold for half a year. Will exhaust system rust be a typical problem?

Is the Prius exhaust system made of Aluminum or Steel (or iron)? What are your experiences? TIA...

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It is of a stainless steel alloy that is not quite rustproof, and just a tiny bit magnetic.

There have been a few corrosion issues with both models of Prius but I would not give it a lot of concern. In general if you can combine your wintertime trips you will get better fuel economy, in addition to getting condensation out ot the exit tube.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat GusTheCat!
    To improve your fuel efficiency and also keep emissions as low as possible, bunch your short trips together when you can and drive to your furthest stop first. Then work your way back home. This will help warm the exhaust system and save fuel.

If it's safe to do so, if you're only stopping for a moment to run into the post office to check your mail box, for example, leave your car READY. Just put it in park, don't turn it off. The Prius always assumes it's starting cold when you power it on and goes through a warm-up cycle, which is unnecessary if the car is warm already, but uses extra fuel.

Check out out local group and feel free to stop by if your schedule permits.

5. GusTheCat

GusTheCat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thank you both! And the tips! I did not know that there is a local club ... that is good. I will show up when I can...