1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Muffler, Fix or Replace

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Frontporch, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was at a scrap yard getting a resonator for my Prius that had the catalytic converter stolen. When I pulled the resonator and muffler from a 2007 I noticed that the stock exhaust had rusted through right near where a plate was welded to the exhaust pipe between the muffler and flange. Come to think of it my other Prius is starting to sound a little loud. Same issue, same location?

My question. These mufflers are 14 years old and other than some failure by this weld, it looks otherwise OK. Aftermarket replacements by brands like Walker seem to have a very limited lifespan when dealing with salt (1-2 years from reviews I have read.)

Is there any sense in trying to do some muffler mending on the factory original? Anyone have somewhat lasting success with this?
    596BCCCB-D3A8-4DF1-ACA9-E5D2579EB0DA.jpeg

#1 Frontporch, Mar 15, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Salty roads in winter are brutal on cars... I'd try to get as much life out it with welding or some other form of patching before replacing...

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Stainless aftermarket muffler $115

Walker Exhaust Quiet-Flow 54560 Exhaust Muffler Assembly

4. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s a nice option. Was looking for something stainless and didn’t see that

5. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I read the reviews on the Walker and some reported pipes rusting through after a couple seasons. I finally went with a stainless steel exhaust on Ebay. I had good luck with guidance getting a cat converter there.

The exhaust I chose was one from UPSWAUTOPARTS for about $135. They answered a question about the material used and they said that its ALL stainless except for the fasteners that are supplied. We'll see.

Overall it was basically identical to the factory muffler and fit perfectly. The exhaust hangers may have been a little thinner, but overall very sound and I am pleased with it at day 1. Thought I would present another option and will buy another for my other prius as needed.