1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Named Official Car of UN World Environment Day 2005

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tempus, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    http://www.autospectator.com/modules/news/...hp?storyid=1406

Dignitaries from around the globe will congregate in San Francisco June 1 – 5, 2005 for UN World Environment Day 2005 where the Toyota Prius will be recognized as the official car of the event and Toyota as the exclusive automotive sponsor.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe. You beat me to it. There was one on CanadianDriver.

Out here, there's the CMOS-2005 Conference. CMOS stands for Canadian Meteorological and Oceanography Society. There are two Priuses on the lot, one's an 04 MSM from Victoria, the other's a Classic in EGM =) Mine being the 3rd on the lot. Gotta find out who the owners are!

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: Prius Named Official Car of UN World Environment Day 200

[font=Comic Sans MS:749a92c81f]Over the PA at your CMOS Conference, "Will the owner of a Prius please meet your buddies in the parking lot by your car..."[/font:749a92c81f]

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Schwarzenegger gets his two cents in.

I guess because the conference is being held in San Francisco Arnold decided to announce that California is instituting new emissions standards. This is what environmentalists are doing.....instituting change on a State level since they are having no effect in Washington D.C. Whether anything actually comes of Arnold's announcement is another thing. But I can drive smugly along knowing I've met any standards they can come up with.

"Schwarzenegger's plan calls for reducing the state's emissions of greenhouse gases to 2000 levels by 2010, 1990 levels by 2020, and 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050."

Arnold announces.

More

Even more

And from my Republican local paper:
    "Industry officials are critical of an independent approach, saying factories, refineries and power plants prefer national, voluntary standards that do not put California or U.S. businesses at a competitive disadvantage."

But of course they'd prefer a national, voluntary standard since it ain't ever going to happen.

Local San Diego rag

Now related to this is Arnold's "million roofs plan" where we're going to put solar panels on roofs. The only problem with this is what has always been the problem. It subsidizes rich people who don't need to save money. You have to have the $20,000-$30,000 up front to put the panels on your own roof before you can get any money back from the government to repay your initial investment. The very people that can benefit most from lowering their energy bills are the ones that will never get a chance to install PV panels...because they can't afford the up front investment.

Feel free to use my roof.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

[font=Comic Sans MS:07a61a681c]Did anyone see "The Daily Show" for 5/31? They had a really funny segment about gas prices, highlighted by a big white Hummer stretch limo running out of gas before it could get out of the gas station lot. The "reporter" polished the back window, then got in his Corolla and drove to the front of the Hummer to polish the grill.[/font:07a61a681c]

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

A hummer limo is hands down one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

What's the range on that thing? At say...2 mpg.... even if they modified the gas tank how much could it hold? 25 gallons maybe? Exactly how close would the church have to be to the bride's house? Does etiquette state how many times the limo can stop to gas up before arriving at the church?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's just say it has a mobile filling station or multiple gas tanks