1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius NAV vs. Tom Tom 910

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by benbethel, May 13, 2006.

1. benbethel

benbethel Junior Member

I'm waiting on my 2006 Prius, and it's supposed to be in stock in just a few weeks, in the meantime I'm selling my 2004 and have started to question whether or not I want a built-in NAV system on my next car.

I've been looking at the Tom Tom G910 that comes out 6/1/06 - here's what it has that the Toyota doesn't seem to have:

Live Traffic Updates
    Live Weather Updates
    Pre-Loaded Maps for US (incl AK and HI), PR, EU, AUS, etc., etc.
    20GB Hard Drive for mp3s and photos
    Bluetooth
    SMS (text) messages that come in on your phone are read to you in a natural sounding synthesized voice
    Speed Alerts for preprogrammed Photo Radar locations
    Remote Control
    Portability - take it on vacations for use in rental cars, cruise ships, airplanes...

And best of all - you can enter destinations while you're driving!!!

Actually - even better than that is the price - $800! www.tomtom.com is the website...

Can someone give me reasons NOT to do this?

Thanks/Ben

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Built in look
    Much Larger Screen
    Mutes music when giving directions
    Don't have to remove it or hide it everytime you stop (aka - nothing to steal)
    Resell value (don't know about this one)

I fully understand why you would want the Tom Tom, but the Toyota one works fairly well for what it is. If you use is occasionally, like I do, it works real well. It is not perfect, but it is pretty consistent.

3. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

get the Nav if you can afford the package it comes with,,,

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Like most portable GPS units, TomTom 910 doesn't have dead reckoning capability. This could be significant if you need to navigate in areas where you lose the GPS signal (tall buildings on both sides of the street).

5. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ May 14 2006, 09:20 AM) [snapback]255092[/snapback]</div>
    On the positive side, the new Tomtom's have the Sirf III chip set, which almost never loses track of the satellite signal.

But I still think that the built-in satnav has many important advantages: much better screen, totally integrated in the car (audio mute, controls). One of the things I really like with the built-in system is that it's always "on". If you suddenly and unexpectedly need map information, it's just a single button press on the steering wheel and there it is. With a device like the Tomtom, switching it on and waiting for the satellite reception is always a little frustrating.

6. benbethel

benbethel Junior Member

Okay, I can see the argument for having the system as 'instant-on' - but while driving today I noticed that the left portion of the dash is *PERFECT* for this navigation system... in the Prius the dash is nice and flat and hads the perfect space for placing the TomTom where it would be right in line of sight with the road and not block your view... with the current Prius Nav screen, you have to look over to the right and reach a bit to use it.

Perception of screen size isn't all that different since the TomTom will be closer to my face when on the dash.

Also, you or your passenger still can't use the Prius nav system to enter an address while driving.

At least you wouldn't have to fight the voice recoginition system to hear you correctly - here's my typical fight:

"Go Home", "System is showing Court House icons".... "GO HOME", "System is showing Post Office icons", "goooo hoommme" (said like Tracy Ullman), "Setting home as destination"

"Louder", "Cassette Deck"... "LOUDER", "FM 2".... "Louder", "System is showing Court House icons".... "Loooouuudddder", "Volume Louder".

The package price difference is so incredibly high - I'm now just going for package #4/D for $1825 and will buy the TomTom for $800ish.

And finally - you can't get John Cleese or Sultry Sylvia as voices in the Toyota... ;-)

Ben

7. automatic1stdown

automatic1stdown New Member

About a month ago we were trying to decide between a portable GPS versus a built-in unit. Based on my research, the top portable units are made by Magellan and Garmin. They are also the most expensive, so I guess you get what you pay for. We crossed the TomTom off our list because its screen gets washed out very easily during the day.

Portable GPS (Garmin StreetPilot 2820 and Magellan Roadmate at the top)
    +Has the largest feature set
    +Nav updates seem to be more frequent, less expensive
    +3D map modes
    +Portable between vehicles
    -Screen is SMALL, almost useless while you drive in traffic
    -Sound comes from small speaker, audio quality poor (especially the latest Garmin 2820!)
    -Hassle to setup and have wires laying around, rattling
    -Have to store in glove compartment constantly when you park in public
    -1 or 2 year warranty

Built-in GPS (Fujitsu-Ten and Alpine at the top, in Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura respectively)
    +Large, bright screen, 6.5" or larger
    +Integrated audio
    +POI database typically more comprehensive
    +Covered under vehicle's bumper-to-bumper warranty (extended warranty 7 years too!)
    -Expensive, usually a $2k option

For us, it was essential to have something that would work well in traffic in big cities. That meant the screen had to be easily legible with a quick glance and the sound cues needed to be crystal clear. The portable units are good, but they simply can't compare to the large screen and integrated audio capabilities of a built-in unit.

If it was a requirement to have a GPS that could be used between both of our cars and perhaps in rental cars on business trips, then that may have persuaded me toward a StreetPilot or Roadmate. The new Alpine Blackbird (same user-interface as Honda/Acura) looks appealing too.

The live traffic and weather update technology sounds cool, but it doesn't seem ready for primetime. You have to actually subscribe to a monthly service ($10-$15 a month I believe) and it only applies to a VERY selective subset of metro cities. At least that's what I recall for the NavTraffic and the HD Radio variants.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benbethel @ May 14 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]255411[/snapback]</div>
    Well, there is the speed sensor wire cutting method that's been discussed on other threads. Unfortunately that the best option for 2006 at the moment. Plus if you're putting in on the left side like you said, your passenger won't be able to use it either. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(automatic1stdown @ May 14 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]255445[/snapback]</div>
    As I understand it, that's in addition to the satellite radio subscription. Still, if you can use it, it would be worth the money.

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Garmin and Magellan are both releasing new models with similar feature sets to the TomTom 910 at about the same time as TomTom releases the 910. If you haven't looked at those models (c5xx for Garmin) you might want to take a look.

10. Amyshubby

Amyshubby 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Lowrance also makes a nice unit that's often overlooked by most people when looking at a GPS system. They have made GPS systems for boats for many years.

I decided against the built in Nav for one very compelling reason (well, other then price)- portability. Many times we go on long trips and take the minivan. With a regular GPS system we can bring it in either car.

11. Russell Frost

Russell Frost the whatdrives.us guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've tested a few different portables and driven a Prius with built-in nav, my personal preference, portable.

While I'm not a huge fan of the whole cradle thing, the main advantage is obvious, when I'm in my wife's car, the nav goes with me. Or, when she's in the passenger seat of my Prius, she turns the screen towards her and I'm not in the least distracted by it.

I'm not real sure this is a fair "competition". I think most people would prefer built-in nav but I also know that most people either can't get a Prius with it or don't want to pay for the entire package to get the nav. Which brings us back again to portables.

Out of the portables I've tested Garmin comes through again and again with the best product for the money. Even their "budget" models are well made and easy to use (oh, and they are accurate as well). This is slightly difficult for me to say because one of Garmin's competitors just tossed me their spiffy new portables for our last Prius Owners Group Road Trip. The sad part? It was a miserable failure compared to Garmin of the same price.

I want the Garmin back.

Just my experience, ymmv.

12. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ May 14 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]255198[/snapback]</div>
    My garmin turns on when the car turns on

13. zzyzx

zzyzx Junior Member

I have an even cheaper Navigational system than the standalone models. It's called an atlas ;)

Seriously, those things creep me out. It's the tinfoil hat syndrome, but I don't like having something in the car that broadcasts where it is 24/7.

14. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zzyzx @ May 15 2006, 08:56 AM) [snapback]255612[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, my understanding is that it doesn't broadcast a signal, it only receives them.

15. zzyzx

zzyzx Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggood @ May 15 2006, 07:03 AM) [snapback]255614[/snapback]</div>

That was my understanding forever too until OnStar started broadcasting advertisements about how they could track where your car is. Once I saw that it was technically possible to broadcast, I lost my faith in GPS. My only hope is that there's a cost aspect at play.

16. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zzyzx @ May 15 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]255618[/snapback]</div>
    But isn't that because they have a beacon/tracker installed as part of the equipment? That's an additional item, not part of a normal navigation system.

17. zzyzx

zzyzx Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggood @ May 15 2006, 07:14 AM) [snapback]255620[/snapback]</div>
    I honestly don't know. Like I said, it's a tin foil hat moment. It's just that beforehand, I thought that there was a technical reason why GPS receivers couldn't also transmit. Odds are high that they're fine, but there's a level of trust there that I'm not willing to give.

Of course, for all I know, there's a tracer in my new (soon to be here!) Prius too. Once you go down that path, it's hard to go back :)

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have the Garmin Street Pilot 2720. It does not have live traffic update, but that's only available in a very few major metropolitan areas.

Advantages:

Although it's smaller than the MFD, it's right in my line of sight (without blocking my view of the road.) At complicated intersections it's easy to see which road I'm supposed to take.

It's always on. I don't have to choose between car info and nav info.

I can take it inside the house (it has a "use indoors" selection which stops it trying to find satellites) and in the comfort of my office I can set all the waypoints for an upcoming trip beforehand. I don't have to sit in the car to do that.

Contrary to what automatic said above, I find that the screen size is adequate and the sound quality is good.

It comes with all of the continental U.S. and Canada pre-loaded.

Garmin seems to be the top maker of automotive GPS systems. I have a hand-held Magellin Explorist and I'm not really happy with the un-ease of use. I really like the Street Pilot.

Disadvantages:

It does not have ded reckoning (though there is a more expensive model that does, and which requires a connection to the car's speed sensor).

Your music does not mute when instructions are issued. (However, the same instructions are shown in words on the screen, and the arrows show on the map where to turn.)

The database of POIs seems inadequate. Even though I bought it just last fall, there are businesses not listed, and others listed that don't exist. (Still, it's amazing how much business info there is.)

Conclusion:

I'm very happy with the Street Pilot. It was a lot cheaper than built-in nav, and I can follow its maps more easily because I don't have to look off to the side to see it.

19. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Either way you go you will be happy. The built in I have in my Prius is my first nav system (not to be confused with my portable GPS unit used for boating on the ocean) and can honestly say "Where have you been all my life?" The peace of mind of finding a new address or a point of interest makes for more relaxed driving. These devices are a great use of technology.

20. smurf041

smurf041 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benbethel @ May 13 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]254956[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benbethel @ May 13 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]254956[/snapback]</div>
    My experience with several portables systems has been poor. The biggest problem is that they take up space and have to be removed and stowed away. Also, the screen size tends to be small, 4" on average, and there are problems with glare. I have a built in system in another vehicle I own and I prefer it.