1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Navigation DVD 5.1 versus 4.2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by allenhuffman, Aug 30, 2006.

1. allenhuffman

allenhuffman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2005 Prius came with the 4.2 navigation DVD (in July 2005). After a few calls, I was able to get Toyota Customer Service to create a Case # assigned to my local dealer instructing them how to obtain the updated DVD (no one there seemed to know). It turns out, the parts manager at my dealer did know how to get this, but the other folks there had never dealt with it.

So, for $280 (or less, online) I can get the 5.1 DVD. I *think* I understand that the company providing this to Toyota switched mapping sources between 4.2 and 5.1 causing some significant differences. I am in Des Moines, Iowa and work in a part of town with significant new construction that I expect will NOT be on any of the discs for a few years (ditto for our main interstate through town having tons of new exits, etc. still being worked on). So, I know this nav may not help me locally, but perhaps it will be more useful when going on a road trip and not being driven to hotels that haven't existed in years.

Comments on 4.2 to 5.1, anyone?

2. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allenhuffman @ Aug 30 2006, 07:45 AM) [snapback]311569[/snapback]</div>
    There was a change in companies between version 3x and version 4x. Ver 4.2 was provided free to owners with older version because of complaints regarding the earlier versions. I got that upgrade and have actually been disappointed because the route calculation in 4.2 does not seem to work as well. I've not seen any good comparison between version 4x and version 5x but I've been away from PriusChat for a while. There was one prior post that tried to compare the detailed coverage areas of different versions. If you haven't done so, try searching for previous posts about Nav version 5.1. Also, be aware that there are actually 2 different ver 5.1 DVDs. One for 2006 models (higher resolution MFD) and one for older models (some have reported the late 2005 models use the newer DVD). Lastly, you're right about not seeing many of the newer roads on the updated version. It seems to take 5-10 years in some areas for highway changes to be reflected in most map databases.