1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius new hybrid battery replacement

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Arjuna-SriLanka, Oct 15, 2023.

1. Arjuna-SriLanka

Arjuna-SriLanka New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hi guys,

have a good day to your all!

i am arjuna from sri lanka, i have a toyota prius 2012 which is 170K ran with weak battery, always showing yellow triangle on dashboard and saying check your hybrid system, after inspect realized the few modules are bad so i went to reliable auto engineers, and they suggested to replace the new battery instead replace modules. after that i went couple of days ago to there work shop and replace the recondition battry which is 2022 almost new ( starting each modules code 02YCUG). attached image. also realized the previous owner did some bypass on the battery unit ECU, so replace the brand new ECU unit as well,

after installation no errors, car have more energy, works fine and all are perfect, but i am worried only one thing that, why is the battery is keep charging and keep discharging, thats the only confusion and wanna know why is that, when i ask the repair people they said since its new will be normally it will be normal after few days when you run, can you guys give me some opinion why is that happening ?

the charge are very quick while you driving ex 50kmh if you breaking 10 sec it will charge like 2 bars, even driving it will charge good but discharge also higher than my old battery. can you please help me why was that, is it normal ? or abnormal ?

Attached Files:

rampante550 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it swings rapidly between full and empty, it's a problem. otherwise, i wouldn't worry about it.

3. V Sport Wagon

V Sport Wagon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There's more to worry about than if it wildly swings from full to empty. That middle ground where it hangs and has a hard time recharging or you've done the Dr. Prius hand held scan test and it's showing <60% life expectancy is where things get dicey. Replace pads (if low to get that that regen back) then notice how much your ICE runs and how loud it seems. With a dying HV battery, that already worn out ICE is getting beat up pretty bad and working harder than it should causing premature gasket failure, more oil burning and more. I'd be replacing the battery to anything better when you notice a bigger dip in mileage out of the ordinary that stays consistent.