1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius newbie & wannabe! Considering a 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ram, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ram

ram Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hello everyone:
    am considering a 2008 prius with a salvage title. low miles. it was a fender that has been replaced. does the salvage title void the toyota warranty? it has low miles.

thanks for any advice.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The salvage title voids the Toyota warranty.

It seems very unlikely that the insurance company would "total" a vehicle simply for a damaged fender. I suggest that you inquire more carefully into the full extent of the damage, which may have impacted the drivetrain, hybrid systems, etc. and have a Prius-trained tech evaluate the car if you are serious about buying it.

A few other posters who have bought a salvage vehicle have reported thorny electrical problems that cannot be solved by their local Toyota dealer (or anyone else, for that matter.) Usually these problems seem to be related to a damaged wiring harness that causes intermittent electrical connections that are almost impossible to pin down. It costs several thousand $s to replace the harness, and after that, other expensive components may still need replacement.

Therefore, I suggest that you be sure that all systems are working, and take the car for an extended test drive, before committing your $$$ to the transaction. Also be aware of the risk that you are bearing by purchasing that vehicle. Good luck.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Often a totaled Prius without apparent major damage may have been in a flood or something similar. As Patrick points out, electrical problems can total a Prius. Be very careful with this purchase.

Tom

4. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Some insurance companies may not even 'insure' a car with salvaged title....Even if they did, be expected they won't pay out as much if your salvaged car were 'totaled' again. Also once purchased, you'll be sticking with this car almost forever since you hardly be able to sell it to other buyers.

5. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius newbie Considering a salvaged 2008 Prius

No-one should by a salvage car as a primary car.

And I seriously doubt that a Prius was totaled for replacement of a fender.

If you must buy any car with a salvage title, you MUST verify why the car was paid off by the insurance company and reported to the state as a salvage... it may make the difference between being able to keep the car and do the work yourself vs having a pile of parts to slowly sell off to try to recover your money.

Most insurance companies will not insure salvaged cars for damage. They believe they've already paid for the car.

I have purchased many salvaged cars over the years, mostly to tear apart and/or stuff some other powertrain in em, then I'd trailer the extra parts to the metal yard and sell em the scrap... only one of those salvaged cars is still on the road, with another owner. It ain't a Prius... and the fella that bought it knew it wasn't like it was stock...

Which IS the point Bra...

Salvaged cars are not like they were stock... the manufacturer isn't responsible for them after they are salvaged... now in all honesty they can be damn close to like new and trouble free if re-manufactured to spec and the harness is good... but usually, that isn't what happens.

6. ram

ram Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you all very much for your great advice! I guess I am still a wannabe but a much better informed one!

thanks again!

ram

7. toxicity

toxicity A/C Hog

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've been driving a salvage Prius for the last year and a half. All the stuff I've heard about salves made me cringe. However, compared to any other car I've owned, the Prius has kept me out of countless situations where I would have to put the vehicle's stress-taking abilities to the test...

One time I was on the highway leaving Dallas and was in a rush to get back home to Houston. There was some dumbass in the lane in front of me going, no joke, 20 miles per hour on a 6 lane highway. I had just switched to that lane and could not switch back because of vehicles surrounding me. I performed an emergency braking procedure and I went from 85mph to 20mph in what seemed like 100 feet or so. It was AMAZING. I could not fathom having that happen with any other car I've owned. Hell, the car I had before the Prius, I totaled it because it couldn't stop in less than about 50 feet from 30mph. That was a Nissan Sentra.

TL;DR: Brakes on the Prius are amazing; but still check the car out, make sure everything at least appears normal. I don't know if you would be able to do an electrical systems analysis just on a test drive, so that should be a concern. However, I've been just fine with my Prius.

Progressive has insured me for it, although, they apparently can't value it; on their website they have listed the values for my previous vehicles in the past, but they don't have one for my Prius....makes me wonder what any payout might be like.

8. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the boat world, when you have a boat that doesn't match blue-book value for any reason, you get it surveyed and appraised (by a 3rd party appraiser) and the insurance company uses that value for the value of the vessel. I wonder if you could do the same with your salvaged Prius?

I have a 2008 Prius and love it. It's a lot more fun to drive than I had expected, and it seems the more miles we put on the car the better the mileage gets (almost 20k miles now). That said, I don't think I would buy a salvage. It's like a crap shoot, you might get a good one, but if you get a bad one then there's no warranty or other support to help you cover the costs. Some people are happy taking this kind of risk, but not me personally. Good luck whatever you decide!

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't buy it. If you need to save money buy a non-salvaged vehicle. A salvaged Prius can be a bottomless money pit.

10. max2prius

max2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If I were in your position I would look for a little older G2 ie 2006 or 2007 with a clear title. Salvage cars not worth the risk.

John