1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius noises!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fatale, Dec 7, 2006.

1. fatale

fatale New Member

My Prius seems to be a noisy one and I am wondering if all this is normal, or if i should get it looked at before something melts down.

On start up (seemingly in cold weather) i hear a lot of clicking noises coming from what seems to be behind the dash just before the engine starts up (and for a second or two after). I do not believe I heard these noises until a few weeks ago when the temps started dropping.

Inverter hum / whine. I seem to get this when accellerating when using EV mode or when braking. I hear a distinctive high pitched (almost ultra sonic) noise coming from behind the dash area.

Mirror shake and noise. This is an obvious one. My mirror makes a bunch of noise, like the two parts are loose. I'm going to see about getting it tightened up or replaced.

Let me know if you have experienced similar problems. Its a 04 Prius.

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fatale @ Dec 7 2006, 02:51 AM) [snapback]358778[/snapback]</div>
    There are a couple of things these clicks could be. One is the "click" of the high voltage relays closing, but you should hear that in all weather (i.e. not just in the cold) and it should only be *right* when you turn on the car. Does it really continue from the time you turn on the car to the time the engine starts for the first time (i.e. 5 - 10 seconds later)? I'd be inclined to say that it might be the coolant pump, but it shouldn't be on for that long.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fatale @ Dec 7 2006, 02:51 AM) [snapback]358778[/snapback]</div>
    Totally normal. That's just the sound of the inverter/electric motor doing its thing.

Again, this is not normal. Something probably needs to be tightened.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's normal to hear a series of clicking when you start the car - it even seems as though it takes several seconds (although i'd guess the time is actually shorter than that)... I would guess that it's completely normal, otherwise i think you would have gotten the CEL or other error/warning lights.

4. newts

newts New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What about that whirring noise when you turn it off? We all know that is the squirrels returning to thier cages...

Seriously though, after two years my noise seems louder and kind of raspy. Is it maybe getting air in the coolant or something about to go wrong? Has anyone else noticed a change in the noise over time?

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mirror noises can sometimes be sunglasses in the overhead bin.

Tom

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newts @ Dec 11 2006, 07:15 AM) [snapback]360317[/snapback]</div>
    Changes (if any) in the thermos pump noise has been gradual enough that I haven't noticed.

Dave M.

7. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My 2005 makes an awful sound from the thermos coolant transfer pump when the outside temp is around freezing or less. It lasts for about 10 seconds after the car is started and after it is shut off. I took it to the dealer and he said that it's normal and that they replaced one a while ago and the new one had the same problem. A friend of mine has 2 Prii, and he listened to mine and told me his didn't sound like that at all.

I have heard this problem mentioned before on PC but don't recall what the resolution was. There's still a little time left on the warranty, so I'd like to get it resolved soon. Does anyone have some advice to offer?

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deh2k @ Dec 12 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]361266[/snapback]</div>
    I had the pump make a louder-than-normal sound last winter when it stored (or released) coolant from the pump. I took it in and they bled the coolant and found no issues.

I just ignored it this year. I just assumed it was the cold temperatures that is making the sound. It only happens when it gets close to the freezing mark.

Oh, and I have an 05 too if that matters.