1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius -- not a car for the fragile male ego

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DougSlug, May 28, 2006.

1. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With the help of my wife (read as "constant ribbing"), I have come to the conclusion that the Prius is a "chick car". Almost all of the other Prius I see on the road here in the Princeton, NJ area are driven by women.

Is that the trend nation wide? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

- Doug

2. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Myself and one other guy in my dojo drive Prius. Either of us are willing to do a little sparring with anyone that calls our cars "chick" cars.

3. DMontster

DMontster New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am a male and drive a Prius and my ego is fine. I have seen about 50/50 in SC & NC. Besides all the money you save on gas can be used to by those so called "manly" items. I have also come to the conclusion that those people who constantly put down the car are just jealous.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DMonster has it right- less gas money spent= more money for power tools.

my husband is all about anything that leaves more money for tools. :lol:

5. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the styling of the G2 Prius is vaguely 'Citroën-esque', i.e., a French car that is definitely not 'macho'. In fact, the Prius has an appearance and profile not unlike that of the current Citroën Xsara Picasso.

I wouldn't exactly call it a 'chick' car (like a New Beetle) but a male driving a G2 Prius is kind of like Richard Dreyfus driving a Citroën 2CV in 1962 in the movie American Graffiti, while all the other males drove (or aspired to driving) V8-powered hotrods of the period.

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah the guys at the office make fun of my Prius as not being manly, but then I remind them I only spent $30 on gas for the month compared to their $100+ then they get very quiet. :D

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    From what I've seen around here on the roads I travel it's at least 75/25 male/female.

At work, encompassing three different office locations, the only female hybrid driver has a HCH. All the Prius owners are male.

On the road, I seem to very rarely see any female Prius drivers.

Every prius owner in my neighborhood is male.

Every prius owner I've met at the dealership is male.

do not know.

8. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ May 28 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]262020[/snapback]</div>
    Doug, Doug, Doug,

How long have you been married? It's a scam. She is trying to claim the Prius for her own. Be strong my man, be strong! ;)

The great thing about a Prius is that it is a man's car that chicks look good driving. (How's that for walking that fine line!)

9. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I work in the tech industry where all my co-workers are computer geeks. I have never had any mention the Prius as a chick car. I'm going to go with ignorance and jealousy as the main reason people would call it a chick car. It certainly has no comparison with other established chick cars, like a Tracker or Cabriolet.

The quickness of the acceleration also puts a lot of other cars to shame so you can make the naysayers eat your dust. :)

10. routeonedog

routeonedog New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ May 28 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]262020[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I was in town (Princeton) just last week and saw 3 Priuses all driven by women.

But don't let her get to you.

I am constantly hounded by my friends at work. Everytime I take the car in for service
    they comment that I had to have the squirrels changed. To top it off, my wife put a picture
    of our new dog - a Havanese (small) - on my computer. So I am always getting grief, but I could care less and am having a great time driving the car.

The only reason she is giving you grief is because she wants to drive the car.

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I was issued a marked Prius for testing I used to get ribbed everytime another officer would stop at the same place.: :angry:

1) How many gerbils do you have in there?
    2) Where are the clowns?
    3) Hey if you pop the doors off youv'e got one cool
    looking golfcart..
    4) Aww Cute car, where do you plug it in?
    5) wheres the clown music?

Of course when they drive it they would quickly change their minds.... :)

As for a prius being a "Chick car" I would rather call it a "Unisex-vehicle".
    Here in Fla. its about 50/50, ;)

Doug, Doug, Doug,

How long have you been married? It's a scam. She is trying to claim the Prius for her own. Be strong my man, be strong!

The great thing about a Prius is that it is a man's car that chicks look good driving. (How's that for walking that fine line!)

The above is a semi-true statement: ;)
    I have been here and done this too. :D
    the guys at the office make fun of my Prius as not being manly, but then I remind them I only spent $30
    on gas for the month compared to their $100+
    then they get very quiet.
    :eek:
    This is so true! :lol:
    DMonster has it right- less gas money spent= More MAN Toys! B)

12. cry4dawn

cry4dawn New Member

I have actually never seen a woman driving a prius. i live in ny and comute to ct and all i see is guys driving the dozens i see.

13. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I wish it was true. Women in my neighborhood have yet to outgrow the 'I feel safer in my suv' phase.

14. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually my hubby found it a "Chick Magnet" - after purchasing the 2004- He stoped at Olympus repair to pick up a repair- 5 pretty girls came over to check it out.... (actually they were outside puffing)....
    He loved it...

15. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, I'm a "chick" (if you can call a granny a chick) in the Princeton area, and I've been driving my Prius since April 19. And two of the three other Prius drivers I have seen are also women.

16. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Around here it seems to be almost 50/50 as far a sex but more towards the older age groups.

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well in the Prius Chat Washington group there are more males than females, but I have to say on the road it is much closer to 50:50. I think this is a gender neutral, driven by different people for different reasons.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not really. I think it's about 50/50 here. Hell, my friends are taking the bus while I'm still taking the car. Regular is US$4/gal (Cdn$1.20/litre) after conversion. Their car runs on premium fuel which adds another 15-20¢/litre. Take that and multiple by ~2 since I travel ~2x as far as they do and you can see while I'm still happy to drive the Prius.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 28 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]262152[/snapback]</div>
    I hear you I noticed it was at 3.25 and I am only at a half a tank. By the time I need gas I will be near your prices. I just had my first tank over $30. My wife will shortly stop giving me "trouble" about my too early purchase of this car!

20. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe you're just a man with a brain in his head ... not just the little brain!