1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius not much bigger than the Fit!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clintd555, May 2, 2006.

1. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Sizewise, the Honda Fit isn't much smaller than the Prius...

Headroom (in., front/rear)
    40.6 / 38.6

Legroom (in., front/rear)
    41.9 / 33.7

Shoulder Room (in., front/rear)
    52.8 / 50.6

Hiproom (in., front/rear)
    51.2 / 51.0

Cargo Volume (cu. ft., seat up/down)
    21.3 / 41.9

Passenger Volume (cu. ft.)

Seating Capacity

Prius:
    Passenger volume (cu. ft.)

Luggage capacity (cu. ft.)

Head room
    39.1/37.1

Shoulder room
    55.3/53.0

Hip room
    51.0/51.6

Leg room
    41.9/38.6

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except the Prius has 5 inches more rear legroom and 3 inches more shoulder room.

Given that, the Fit's impressively big for a small car.

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 2 2006, 08:40 PM) [snapback]248816[/snapback]</div>
    I went to look at the Fit last week with my wife. She took it for a spin and enjoyed driving it, and really wanted to buy it on the spot. Both of us thought the interior design was brilliant.

I have high hopes that Honda will turn this car into a killer hybrid for 2007 - 2008.

4. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have been seeing quite a few here in the dallas area. I considered one but could never get "unhooked" from the prius. One was parked next to me yesterday, looked inside and man it did have a lot of room. I'm just happy to see dealers start producing more efficient vehicles.....Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, and the scions. I just cannot figure out why all of the big autos are pumping out these huge hp autos that just eat up gas. Like 300c, charger, magnum, GTO, ...etc....plus the whole new hemi trend. I love cars, love horsepower, but I would think that they should probably start phasing in some more efficient vehicles instead of boosting up the sales of high horsepowered vehicles. As our energy situation is getting worse the trend is to make more vehicles that don't do so well in the mpg arena? I'm really just looking at the american auto industry. Makes no sense to me. In the future, if we stay on the fuel cost track that we are they are going to have to revamp practically every vehicle or scratch them because they wont even have a reasonable market out there. Truth be told, they do look great, and what a feeling behind all that horsepower. Supposedly there is a future HY Durango in the works, which they say should do 25% better..... ;) Again, just happy to see another option out there that looks like it probably will do really go in sales.

5. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Fit is such a cute car. I would have never bought the Gen I Prius but hatchbacks are good for my lifestyle.

I was shocked by how uncomfortable the Magnum is. That is definitely a car that is not worth its price tag.

6. gippah

gippah New Member

The Classic Prius is the most comfortable car ever. Especially with the leather seats.

I hope Toyota makes another hybrid sedan by the time my Classic wears out. If it ever does. I apologize to all of you Gen II Prius owners, but I hate the way the new one looks. :)

7. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I parked next to a "Fit" a week or so ago and it seemed to be smaller than the Prius to me, but did look pretty nice. Plus it got top marks / best overall in a recent Car and Driver review up against 8 or 10 small car competitors.

8. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik @ May 2 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]248914[/snapback]</div>
    You are so right! I've read lately that Big Auto might phase in big muscle cars from the 70's and 80's. Big V6's and V8's. Do you think the American public can be that stupid and think, 'Well heck, it's a car right, it must get better gas mileage than an SUV?' (rhetorical question :rolleyes: )

9. falderal

falderal New Member

Has there been a side impact crash test on the Fit? I went and sat in one at the dealer but the whole gas tank under the front seats made me feel weird.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what's wrong with that? You'd rather have it under the rear seats like most cars?

11. falderal

falderal New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 3 2006, 02:09 AM) [snapback]248977[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah you're right. I guess I don't really think about fuel tank location when I sit in a car but the salesman really made a big deal out of the location in the fit. I guess as long as they keep the tank inside the main frame of the car, that's the safest place. But I guess "Hey you are sitting on the gas tank and you don't even know it!" isn't a good way to sell the car. :)

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why don't they ust put the gas tank in the back right behind the back bumper?
    What could possibly go wrong?

13. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik @ May 2 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]248914[/snapback]</div>
    The SO picked up a Fit last weekend.

Anyways, these new cars are actually just the original Japanese/European models finally imported to the USA; the point being those countries have all along been about small size and efficiency, and there now is a market/demand for these type of cars. Honda really really needed to import something since it was lacking a small, entry-level car to compete with the xAs now that the Civics are the new mid-size, aka "Accord", and in price.

The xA (aka Japanese Ist) has been around a while, as well as the Fit (aka European Jazz), and the Yaris (aka Vitz in Japan). I was surprised that for a 2007 model, the Fit basically had what looks/performs like a 1996 Civic engine with its 109HP 1.5L LEV-2 stats. Not exactly the greatest in emissions, and the MPG was about the same 30/38.

14. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 3 2006, 02:15 AM) [snapback]248964[/snapback]</div>
    "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Remember the Fiero? the gas tank was under the center console..

16. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gippah @ May 3 2006, 12:23 AM) [snapback]248928[/snapback]</div>

I think my car is absolutely beautiful... why oh why don't people like the aesthetics of the Gen II Prius???

[attachmentid=3225]
    Above: My barcelona baby at the top of Cooper's Rock State park outside of Morgantown, West Virginia... Yes, the prius can easily get up a mountain!

17. Mirza

Mirza New Member

My friend fell some 15-20 feet rock climbing there! (the guy is huge and didn't end up getting injured)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ May 4 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]249747[/snapback]</div>

18. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove the new Fit, and it was a fun little car, the salesman was very knowledgeable which was a nice change, it just was way too slow for me, my Prius will kick it's butt any day of the week. My buddy that went with me has a Chevy Aveo, and his has less horsepower, but seems to be quicker (maybe more torque?). Overall seemed to be a nicely designed car. I love the Hyundai Getz- I rented one in Australia, drove it from Melbourne to Sydney- it was FUN! And so roomy- and cute! :D
    The friend I went with has friends over there, and at one point we all went on a 2 hour trip - 5 full size men in a little compact, with all our luggage! Go Hyundai!

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ May 4 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]249895[/snapback]</div>
    Edmunds (auto) says 9.3 seconds 0-60 which is faster than the Prius. cars.com (auto) says 9 seconds, Truth About Cars (manual?) says 8.9 seconds, Consumerguide says 11.3 seconds (auto), so the consensus seems to be faster than the Prius, but not by much.

20. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, strange, the one we drove was a 5 spd, and we both commented on the lack of "umph"