1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius not starting but has power

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jo26, Mar 4, 2023.

1. jo26

jo26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2014 Prius hybrid with about 120k miles. When I go to start it, the car dash lights up fine but the engine doesn't start sometimes. You have to keep trying the start button and it eventually starts. I checked the 12v and it's performing fine. Not getting any dash lights, and nothing seems off under the hood. Just got the oil changed a couple of weeks ago. I thought it might be the key, so I changed the battery and it's still happening. I thought maybe the car wasn't detecting the key, so I tried using the spare key and still having issues.

Any ideas on what it might be?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when it won't start, is the ready light on? if not, check the brake light switch

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Of course the engine does not immediately start. You want a Ready. Are you saying the engine eventually turns over for ten seconds but does not run?

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Two things:
    I have noticed with all of the Prii my family has owned, that I sometimes hit the start button without first looking for the "ready" symbol on the dash.......and sometimes that takes a few seconds.
    So, first just be sure that you aren't getting in too big of a hurry.

Then, how exactly did you "check" the 12 V to know that it is "performing fine" ??