1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius now supported by Treo 650 (Sprint)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jrfaris, Jun 17, 2005.

1. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, I just checked and it seems like the dropped call problem has been fixed as well. Now, if you have an incoming call during an on-going call, the car kit will overlay the typical call waiting beeps. I wasn't able to determine how to switch to the new call from the MFD but I was able to do so from the Treo. That's a bit of a problem if it is buried in your purse. Maybe I could have switched from the answer button on the steering wheel but I didn't think fast enough. I just terminated the current call and the incoming call came through. Anyway, it looks like PalmOne really tried to make their product work well with Prius.

2. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

Thank Goodness!!! Do you know how much of a pain in the nice person it is when you are talking to someone and you get another call? And THEN you have both people trying to call you back and the treo hangs up on them again. And the same thing happens AGAIN! All of this while I'm trying to drive on the interstate going 70 mph :)

I'll check out the upgrade tonight. Thanks for posting!!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrfaris\";p=\"99508)</div>

3. michalopoulosgk

michalopoulosgk New Member

Any news about support for Treo Verizon (CDMA)?

The Palm site for the upgrade lists Prius and then, in a column labelled Verizon Treo (or something like this) it also lists Prius as compatible but has a $ sign to indicate a footnote, which says that compatibility with Verizon Treo is dependent on downloading and installing the upgrade. However, the Verizon phone is a CDMA one, whereas the Sprint Treo is a GMS phone and the upgrade specifies that it only works for Treo GMS unlocked. Does anybody understand what is the situation between Prius and Verizon Treo after this announced upgrade?
    GKM

4. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually Sprint is a CDMA system as well. However, there is a difference between the Sprint ROM update (1.12) and the update that is recomended for Verizon. I believe that update refers to a car kit only update which improves the general Treo 650 bluetooth functionality with many vehicles. I haven't checked the update specifics for Verizon but you should be able to sort it out on Palm's site. (However I understand that Verizon has limited some aspects of bluetooth funtionality). The Sprint ROM update is not applicable to any other carriers (a possible exception might be Earthlink).

5. michalopoulosgk

michalopoulosgk New Member

Dear Carmyne:
    If this is the case, then why does the Palm One site
    (http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo650updater/sprint.html)
    list the updater as for unlocked GMS phones?
    I do agree with you that Sprint is also CDMA (my oversight!), I am just confused as to what Palm means by labeling its Sprint updater as though for GMS phones.
    GKM

6. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I believe there are two separate updates. One for the Sprint (CDMA) phone which has a 1.12 designation and one for their unlocked GSM phone which has a 1.13 designation. You can see this if you go to the basic palmone.com site and open their support tab at the top of the page. The Treo has a drop down menu of all the different carriers/phone types. You can see the different updates available for each unit by selecting the appropriate menu item. It is confusing the way they announced both the Sprint and the unlocked GSM updates at the same time....

7. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

As usual, the update software is buggy and faulty. I spent 2 hours trying to make it work, and my treo still refuses to auto-update its rom after hotsync..

I had the same problem with 1.08 update. When are they going to release the update that works on the first try???!
    :cussing:

Any suggestions? Should I call palmone???

8. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No problem doing the ROM update! I had to re-PAIR my BT headset and the car, and both processes went perfectly. Both work better, in fact. I had two people call and did not have a problem with hang-ups. Very satisfying. The headset seems more reliable in accepting calls, and in clicking in when making them. I'm very pleased.

HOWEVER:
    I can add one CONTACT at a time from the phone to the car's phone list, but would like to transfer the entire list. Has anyone figured out how to do that?

9. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eisenson\";p=\"99961)</div>
    The Treo allows you to transfer a group of contacts from it's menu. You can make a group of contracts specifically for transfer to the Prius in either the Treo or in Outlook before Hotsync with the Treo. I had to do this anyway since I needed to create identifiable short names with only one number. Then you can select that group on the Treo and they will all transfer. There is a problem if the numbers contain any special characters such as ()-. Outlook likes to put them in but they have to come out before the Prius will accept the number.

10. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kazu88\";p=\"99873)</div>
    I had no problem doing the update. I used the alternate method from the Palm site and it went very smoothly. I have not seen any major bugs or issues yet with the update. Do you have a problem with limited available memory? I can't tell from your post where the procedure bombed....

11. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrfaris\";p=\"99981)</div>
    I tried both methods, but my treo doesn't start the rom update after the hotsync was performed. It seems to be the update.exe program is buggy, because I followed their instructions precisely.

Ugh!

12. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry you are having problems. I haven't seen any reports of similar update problems on the Treo sites I visit. Not sure what would keep the update from initiating. Guess a call to PalmOne may be worth while....

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually Sprint uses an adapted version of CDMA called PCS. the two versions are not compatible

14. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrfaris\";p=\"99508)</div>
    I agree, the dropped call instead of call waiting seems to be fixed. I tried it out to see if you can hit the answer button from the steering wheel, and found that you have to actually use the phone if you want to take the 2nd call while not hanging up on the 1st one.

However if you want to take the 2nd call and hang up on the 1st, then you can use the call end button on the steering wheel or MFD & it will hang up on your current call. Then after a pause, the 2nd call will ring & you can then answer.

Also noticed that if you get an incoming call and you don't want to take it, then hitting the end call button (on the steering wheel or MFD) sends the call to voicemail. I don't think this worked before, but I could be confusing this with a previous phone.

(Signal indicator now works, recognition seems to be a bit faster, and new Treo 650 owners will be happy because pairing works without the tricky bit to convince the Prius that the phone is paired).

15. philg

philg Junior Member

Does anyone actually get their Prius to "ring" after applying this update? That seems to be the one remaining function I can't get to work. The radio cuts off, which gives me a clue that a call is coming in. But I've never heard the Prius make a beep. Has anyone else? If so, what did you do to get that to happen?

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i guess if you get a call and the radio isnt on then that might be a problem but personally, i think its kinda cool to not have the phone ring.